StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a good quality helmet/bike cam, Was looking at the GOPRO units, just checking if there are any other quality ones out there. Thanks in advance for your help.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Can't speak for others but I really like my GoPro HD.
I don't think I'd mount it on a helmet for two reasons one being the size and shape at speed on the road (other people seem to be okay with that) and the second is that I don't like the view from helmet mounted cameras anyway. Heads move around too much for me.

My latest effort with the GoPro here.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
K1W1,your vid really messed with my head until I realized I was looking at the wrong side of the street. Looks like you had a great ride and have a well run group.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the current top model ContourHD 1080p. It has beautiful video quality, is small and very light and you can wear it on your helmet if you want to. The switch is a big slider which works with gloves on, it has a rotatable lens so you can level the picture once mounted and it also has a laser pointer on each side of the lens to help this. It comes with a 2gb memory card. Downsides are that it takes MicroSD cards which are hard to find and expensive in large capacity 6 class sizes and the microphone is worse than useless. If you use a helmet mount you will get nothing but wind noise. Follow the link in my sig line to see some videos; all done at 720p low-res.

Having said all that, buy the GoPro. It is a bit cheaper than the Contour and a far better camera for bike work, has better mounting hardware, uses cheaper SD cards, the mic works and the video quality is excellent. If you don't need HD then you can get the 720p versions for considerably less.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check out the Drift Innovation HD170.It has some nice features such as a built in view screen,rotating lens,remote control,optional microphone etc. It also is waterproof.
I got one last year and it works great.
I just need an editing program and learn how to use it now. :confused:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Nice vids. Your traveling at a pretty good clip there,
Is there a camera with an instant total delete function? Ideally this feature could delete everything on the chip with a single touch of a button, quickly.

·
Administrator
13,492 Posts
Is there a camera with an instant total delete function? Ideally this feature could delete everything on the chip with a single touch of a button, quickly.
It takes a few presses, but the gopro has a menu item that deletes all on the card.

..Tom

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not as cheap as the go pro or TKC1000 but for the money I love the VIO POV helmet cam for many reasons. The least of which is it has a screen view that allows you to see where the camera is aimed before you start shooting. Plus the remote control allows for several types of clips which saves card space on long rides.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Nice vids. Your traveling at a pretty good clip there, what tires are you running? TKC80s?
Heidenau K76's (Tourance type equiv). Don't need anything knobbly where I go I don't believe that a Strom is a trail bike.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just bought a GoPro HD. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but would like some help in working out the best spot to mount it.

I don't really want to do the helmet cam thing as I don't really like watching those sorts of videos where the picture is all over the place because the rider is looking here, there and everywhere.

Ideally a good spot firmly mounted on the bike and giving an unobstructed view forward. Also worried about the effect of the bike's vibration...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Went for a ride with the camera mounted on my tank. Obviously not the best place for it but I'm reasonably impressed with the camera and the bike's vibes didn't appear to upset it. Looking into a ram mount - probably on the handlebars somewhere (maybe the clutch reservoir).

Bandit Rider: Slithering around

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Ideally a good spot firmly mounted on the bike and giving an unobstructed view forward. Also worried about the effect of the bike's vibration...
I have the GoPro Tripod mount and use that on a RAM mount on either the left handlebar.

Or down low off the frame for my Givis mounted just behind the right peg

The peg mount can either face forward or back. Down low you obviously have to start and stop recording with the bike stopped but on the handle bar it's easy enough to do it with either your left or right hand. The handle bar clamp can also be swung around so you get shoot yourself or forward through the screen if you want.

Notice the cable tie. It's a safety strap in case the camera mount loosens on dirt roads.

The video I linked to earlier in the thread has shots from both mounting positions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Drift Innovation HD170 Stealth

Researched them all and a couple weeks ago went with the Drift mostly because of the remote, still and 1080p HD video, rotatable lens, weather-proof and durable design not needing a separate case. Uses standard SD cards (up to 32GB - at medium 720 setting I estimate 4hrs per 16GB, but don't quote me on that) and LCD screen and menu easy to use. External mike option is necessary if you want decent sound. Versatile, well-designed and great value $350.

Definitely check this out as it's going to give GoPro and Contour a run for the $.
So far (two weeks with very little good weather in western WA to experiment!) I'm very happy with it.
Drift HD170 Stealth Camera - 1080p POV - Drift Innovation

I'm totally new at video editing/uploading, etc. - but there's no better way than to just "jump in" - so here's my very first video taken a couple weeks ago with the HD170 Stealth mounted on my helmet. Had to run it through Windows Movie Maker to turn it right-side up (turned lens the wrong way) and lost some resolution, but you'll get the idea of what it can do. I have the external mike kit in the mail now - even with the mike off it picked up wind noise (mike on when moving still only gets wind noise - hence the external kit ordered). If you catch it, you'll see the remote mounted next to the GPS.

I'm sure you can find other higher quality video uploads/reviews for it, but here's a quick one to see:
YouTube - Drift HD170 Stealth - 1st video - no mike volume2.wmv

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I've heard quite good things about the Drift especially if you want to helmet mount. They are quite a bit larger than the GoPro but the shape is better for on helmet use and I really like the remote. GoPro are supposed to be releasing a remore this year and I'm hanging out for that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts