StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to ask advice of the experts on the Maine/New-Hampshire area.
Me and other 3 buddies are going on July for a Thursday PM to Monday Midnight adventure.
The bikes are DL650, R1200GSA, Hayabusa, and a motoguzzi (road naked, not sure what model).

Obviously off road cannot be done for all riders, maybe me and the GSA friend can take a few hours for some off-road exploration.
We plan to do one day motel one day camping (RichW advised on that, if I recall correctly).

Looking for good roads you know in the area, attractions not to miss (please no museums.. :) ), things to do, recommended camping grounds, etc.
Minimum 6 hours ride per day seems reasonable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would make sure to hit the White Mountains in NH. Lots of camping, scenery and nice roads. The Kancamagus highway is fun on a bike.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would make sure to hit the White Mountains in NH. Lots of camping, scenery and nice roads. The Kancamagus highway is fun on a bike.
Thanks.
Yes I will do so for sure.
Maine looks flat - is it really interesting for motorcycle riding? Maybe we should focus mainly on NH?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I feel that the Kancamangus Highway is fairly boring.

In my opinion, the best part of Rt 112 is the section WEST of Lincoln, NH. Also Rt 118, Rt 116, Rt 25, Rt 25C, and Rt 25A.... And, there are more.

If you want to ride to the heart of the White Mtns, (Conway, and North Conway), I strongly suggest riding Rt 153, and Rt 113 which are located on the border between NH, and Maine.

Rt 113 will allow you to pick up the, Hurricane Mountain Road out of North Conway.

I would ride into the "Conways" on Rt 153, ride the West Side Road around the populated area, come out in North Conway, stop at the scenic overlook of Mt. Washington Valley, then hang a right on to the Hurricane Mountain Road, and ride that to Rt 113, and ride Rt 113 up to Rt 2.

Ride West on Rt 2 to where you pick up Rt 16. Ride Rt 16 North to Errol, NH, then northeast into Maine and on to Rangeley, then up to Stratton, Maine.

In Stratton, follow Rt 16/27 south to Kingfield. Pick up Rt 16 and head south through New Portland, and towards North Anson. Just west of North Anson, pick up the Wentworth Rd, and follow that to the Cross Town Rd in Embden.

You are now back on Rt 16. Take Rt 8/Rt 201a into Solon. Cross Rt 201, on to the French Hill Rd. Then pick up the Hole In The Wall Road, (Dirt, but fine for all of your bikes). Follow the HITW Rd, to the Chapman Ridge Rd; turn left, then immediately right, on to the Valley Rd.

Follow the Valley Rd to Rt 151 (The Brighton Rd), and into Athens, Maine. Pick up Rt 43/151 and ride it to Hartland, ME. Hang a right on to Rt 151, and ride that to Palmyra and Rt 2. Follow Rt 2 into Newport. Pick up Rt 95 and ride it North to Rt 395. Ride Rt 395 to Rt 1A. Follow Rt 1A to Ellsworth, then Rt 3 to Mount Desert Island.

Let me know when you are going to arrive, and I will have a beer waiting for you.

You can return home by the coastal route.

I can do what I just explained to you, blindfolded. Those are "My Roads".

You will not be disappointed.

B.L.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel that the Kancamangus Highway is fairly boring.

In my opinion, the best part of Rt 112 is the section WEST of Lincoln, NH. Also Rt 118, Rt 116, Rt 25, Rt 25C, and Rt 25A.... And, there are more.

If you want to ride to the heart of the White Mtns, (Conway, and North Conway), I strongly suggest riding Rt 153, and Rt 113 which are located on the border between NH, and Maine.

Rt 113 will allow you to pick up the, Hurricane Mountain Road out of North Conway.

I would ride into the "Conways" on Rt 153, ride the West Side Road around the populated area, come out in North Conway, stop at the scenic overlook of Mt. Washington Valley, then hang a right on to the Hurricane Mountain Road, and ride that to Rt 113, and ride Rt 113 up to Rt 2.

Ride West on Rt 2 to where you pick up Rt 16. Ride Rt 16 North to Errol, NH, then northeast into Maine and on to Rangeley, then up to Stratton, Maine.

In Stratton, follow Rt 16/27 south to Kingfield. Pick up Rt 16 and head south through New Portland, and towards North Anson. Just west of North Anson, pick up the Wentworth Rd, and follow that to the Cross Town Rd in Embden.

You are now back on Rt 16. Take Rt 8/Rt 201a into Solon. Cross Rt 201, on to the French Hill Rd. Then pick up the Hole In The Wall Road, (Dirt, but fine for all of your bikes). Follow the HITW Rd, to the Chapman Ridge Rd; turn left, then immediately right, on to the Valley Rd.

Follow the Valley Rd to Rt 151 (The Brighton Rd), and into Athens, Maine. Pick up Rt 43/151 and ride it to Hartland, ME. Hang a right on to Rt 151, and ride that to Palmyra and Rt 2. Follow Rt 2 into Newport. Pick up Rt 95 and ride it North to Rt 395. Ride Rt 395 to Rt 1A. Follow Rt 1A to Ellsworth, then Rt 3 to Mount Desert Island.

Let me know when you are going to arrive, and I will have a beer waiting for you.

You can return home by the coastal route.

I can do what I just explained to you, blindfolded. Those are "My Roads".

You will not be disappointed.

B.L.
Barry,
Thanks so much - that info is priceless.
I'm going to visit you - keep the beers cold, I'll bring something to eat.
Wow, awesome.

Big Man
Big

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yes. He has outlined a (nice?!) LOOOONG day in the saddle.

Everything is relative. I'm not much of a distance rider. After about 4 hours in the saddle I start to have enough.

So YMMV.

·
Registered
22,285 Posts
I would ride into the "Conways" on Rt 153,

I recommend against going into Conway at all, heading north on 153, turn off on Brownfield Road in Eaton, then north on Haleytown Road will dump you out in 302 at the ME/NH line, turn east, go to first light in Fryeburg then north on 113, pick up Hurricane Mountain road from the Chatham/EastConway side,

West Side Road can get you past some of the congestion but is heavily patroled and ya gotta go right into Conway to pick it up and all it does is dump you in the middle of North Conway unless you take it all the way to Bartlett

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I recommend against going into Conway at all, heading north on 153, turn off on Brownfield Road in Eaton, then north on Haleytown Road will dump you out in 302 at the ME/NH line, turn east, go to first light in Fryeburg then north on 113, pick up Hurricane Mountain road from the Chatham/EastConway side,

West Side Road can get you past some of the congestion but is heavily patroled and ya gotta go right into Conway to pick it up and all it does is dump you in the middle of North Conway unless you take it all the way to Bartlett
I agree with you. However, if the weather is nice, the view from the scenic outlook, on the north side of town, is pretty nice to gander at. And, you can pick up the Hurricane Mtn Road, right from there.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. He has outlined a (nice?!) LOOOONG day in the saddle.

Everything is relative. I'm not much of a distance rider. After about 4 hours in the saddle I start to have enough.

So YMMV.
Indeed, I thought 5-6 hours was enough for me as well.
But after riding with RichW and RandyO for 11 hours (?, Randy you headed back to camp at some point, right?) in the fantastic roads of VT I was exhausted but wanted more :mrgreen:

That is why I'm returning this year. Haven't had enough of VT/NH (was there with family - amazing) and never been to ME.

·
Registered
22,285 Posts
Indeed, I thought 5-6 hours was enough for me as well.
But after riding with RichW and RandyO for 11 hours (?, Randy you headed back to camp at some point, right?) in the fantastic roads of VT I was exhausted but wanted more :mrgreen:

That is why I'm returning this year. Haven't had enough of VT/NH (was there with family - amazing) and never been to ME.

yes, I headed back to camp early at a lower pace, I can ride all day and then some, but not at that pace with a knobby tire up front

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, I headed back to camp early at a lower pace, I can ride all day and then some, but not at that pace with a knobby tire up front
Yes, the pace was very fast. My bike set an all new low record of 45MPG. That's what happens when you put Rich with his windshieldless DL1000 in front.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
722 Posts
If/when this gets closer, post up. If you need another bike to tag along-maybe for a portion of the ride-lemme know. Maybe I can tag along for a stage or so.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If/when this gets closer, post up. If you need another bike to tag along-maybe for a portion of the ride-lemme know. Maybe I can tag along for a stage or so.
Sure, will do so.
You are welcome to join, any stromtrooper is welcome.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You can't go wrong with what Barry just said.......I live on the Maine NH border, you could spen a month here and not be bored. There is plenty of camping on the Kanc or anywhere else in the area. Feel free to contact me. I also have cold beer,,,:mrgreen:....TD

1 - 20 of 36 Posts