StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown: :bom_bigcry:

I would appreciate some advice regarding my ’07 DL1000. In October, I was rear-ended by a Toyota sedan and the insurance company is calling my bike a total. The damage to the rear is not all that bad (see pix)...

the rear sub-frame is twisted

the rear wheel is toast

both exhausts are slightly dented but look salvageable

the rear fender & side plastics need to be replaced

the seat is cracked

The thing that is making the bike a “total” is that the rear sub-frame was pushed forward and broke the attach point on the main frame.

The insurance adjuster said that once the main frame is damaged then the insurance company considers it a total. From my perspective, it looks like a welder could rebuild the attach point and then drill and re-tap.

I decided to buy back the salvage from the insurance company. However, in Florida, if the insurance company declares it a total, then they submit the title to DMV and it comes back with a Certificate of Destruction (not a salvage title.)

Anybody have any ideas, or is this thing only good for parting out. It seems a shame since the bike only had 21,000 miles and was pretty much perfect prior to the accident.

Thanks for your help.

CurDog

·
Boy talks too much....
588 Posts
jmo but I dont think I'd ever try to ride a bike thats been bent. There are body shops out here that swear they can make it straigh but Im not sure I would take the chance.
I dont know alot about frame reapirs and how well the metal holds up after a crash though. I'm sure there are some here with much to say on the matter.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I would take a look at ebay and see if someone has a frame floating around. I would get that and push everything over to that frame and then title the bike in florida.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The SF mount that broke is the bottom one and better of the two to "break". The bottom mount is in compression when you sit on it and the top mounting point in tension. If the other three mounts show no cracking when inspected by somebody knowledgable, I would just have a good aluminum welder weld the busted mount up nice and solid. But the welder needs to be a pro.

If it was a top SF mount, I would part her out. All of this is based on the economics and the fact you should be saving enough to consider the bike worthless when you are done with it since it will have a dirty title and obvious damage.

And I would watch my repairs like a hawk for a while.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd be glad to find a bike like that for the engine....

but seriously...that thing is FACKED big time sir..... I would not attempt to fix that with the intention of riding it again...

a motor with 21 K though.....:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fix or Not

If you are into the bike right dollar wise I would go ahead and have it welded. I used to be in the welding business and your repair is an easy fix by anyone competant. By the very fact that the top subframe mount wasn`t damaged tells me the force was all absorbed by the subframe and you won`t have to worry about the main frame.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I hope what you paid was in the hundreds and not the thousands! As it stands, it seems like a parts bike and not a fixer-upper. I'd part it out and hope you can get back more than what you paid. I'd never feel comfortable about repairing the bike and riding it again or even selling it to someone else.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Move ON

The one good thing is like 99% of bikes are messed in the front which looks perfect so fleabay should be easy

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
in Florida, if the insurance company declares it a total, then they submit the title to DMV and it comes back with a Certificate of Destruction (not a salvage title.)
This seems to be your #1 problem. I agree with Jim...hunt for a frame with good title and transfer your parts over.

How much does the insurance company want to sell you the broken bike? You might be better to take their money, if the deal is fair, and buy another good Vee.

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
Move on!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you are into the bike right dollar wise I would go ahead and have it welded. I used to be in the welding business and your repair is an easy fix by anyone competant. By the very fact that the top subframe mount wasn`t damaged tells me the force was all absorbed by the subframe and you won`t have to worry about the main frame.

Now that I read this, you know, he's right..... that'll buff right out.... :thumbup:

what was I thinking?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jmo but I dont think I'd ever try to ride a bike thats been bent. There are body shops out here that swear they can make it straigh but Im not sure I would take the chance.
I dont know alot about frame reapirs and how well the metal holds up after a crash though. I'm sure there are some here with much to say on the matter.
The main frame is not bent (or at least at this point does not appear bent)... the rear sub-frame which is bent can be easily replaced. The remaining parts are more cosmetic.

Just wondering, how much did you buy it back for $$$$?
:mod2_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
CurDog....before I made any decision, I would check to see that the swing arm is NOT bent nor its mounting points. That would be hard to fix, The SF mount is not.

If parting out, PM me I would be interested in some major parts if reasonable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would take a look at ebay and see if someone has a frame floating around. I would get that and push everything over to that frame and then title the bike in florida.
I have been watching ebay off and on. So far, it seems the frames available do not have a good title either. And then the other thing, I realized that I might be buying a high mileage frame even though I would be transferring low mileage parts. I would be stuck with whatever the odometer reading was on the title.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The SF mount that broke is the bottom one and better of the two to "break". The bottom mount is in compression when you sit on it and the top mounting point in tension. If the other three mounts show no cracking when inspected by somebody knowledgable, I would just have a good aluminum welder weld the busted mount up nice and solid. But the welder needs to be a pro.

If it was a top SF mount, I would part her out. All of this is based on the economics and the fact you should be saving enough to consider the bike worthless when you are done with it since it will have a dirty title and obvious damage.

And I would watch my repairs like a hawk for a while.
Thanks for the info regarding top vs bottom. Have not inspected the other mounts under any kind of magnification. Just eyeballing at the moment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check with the FL DMV about titling a reconstructed vehicle with a Certificate of Destruction.

If the Certificate of Destruction prohibits rebuilding the bike and obtaining a Reconstructed Title find out if you can obtain a Reconstructed Title from a Salvage Certificate. If this is possible look for a straight frame with a Salvage Certificate and transfer your parts to that frame.

If you can get a Reconstructed Title from the Certificate of Destruction have your frame repaired by a professional welder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd be glad to find a bike like that for the engine....

but seriously...that thing is FACKED big time sir..... I would not attempt to fix that with the intention of riding it again...

a motor with 21 K though.....:thumbup::thumbup:

I hope what you paid was in the hundreds and not the thousands! As it stands, it seems like a parts bike and not a fixer-upper. I'd part it out and hope you can get back more than what you paid. I'd never feel comfortable about repairing the bike and riding it again or even selling it to someone else.
Move ON

The one good thing is like 99% of bikes are messed in the front which looks perfect so fleabay should be easy
Move on!!!!!!!

This is starting to sound like a consensus... :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your feedback. If it wasn't for the title issue I would be going forward with getting it welded.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CurDog....before I made any decision, I would check to see that the swing arm is NOT bent nor its mounting points. That would be hard to fix, The SF mount is not.

If parting out, PM me I would be interested in some major parts if reasonable.
The swing arm looks good right now, without having taken it apart and really inspecting/measuring. The main force of the car went in between the area on top of the wheel and underneath the rear seat. The blow launched me up into the air rather than striking me directly and propelling me forward.

Parting out may end up being the best option unless I can figure out how to get around the title issue.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts