StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience with lessening the windblast on arms and shoulders?

My Wee is equipped with the stock windshield, Madstad, and Rick's mirror extenders. I have been searching the forum and it looks like maybe a wider windshield will help the windblast? If so, what windshields or add on (Laminar Touring Lip) seem to deflect the air furthest to the sides and away from the arms/shoulders?
If it helps, I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have a Givi. It is wider and I got it to help deal with exactly what you mention. Not perfect but it sure helps. The Givi is also taller so at 5'6" you may find it too tall. The Madstad should help with that though.

From TwistedThrottle website:"The Givi replacement windscreen measures 22.4 inches (570mm) tall x 18.9 inches (480mm) wide, approximately 7.1 inches (18cm) taller than the original windscreen."

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also have the GIVI on a madstad. For me it is the perfect setup. It is a bit wider than the stocker so it does cut down on the sholder blast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Givi. It is wider and I got it to help deal with exactly what you mention. Not perfect but it sure helps. The Givi is also taller so at 5'6" you may find it too tall. The Madstad should help with that though.

From TwistedThrottle website:"The Givi replacement windscreen measures 22.4 inches (570mm) tall x 18.9 inches (480mm) wide, approximately 7.1 inches (18cm) taller than the original windscreen."
Thanks for the information. I'd rather not look through the windshield. I'll have to check on the "tallness".

I also have the GIVI on a madstad. For me it is the perfect setup. It is a bit wider than the stocker so it does cut down on the sholder blast.
Thanks. Sounds like a wider shield than stock and lower than a Givi would help with my problem

there's going to be wind. Or I guess you could try a cage or Goldwing :p
I know there is wind. I don't mind some wind, but at 135 lbs, I sometimes need all the help I can get. I don't quite fit an 800 lb Goldwing :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I know there is wind. I don't mind some wind, but at 135 lbs, I sometimes need all the help I can get. I don't quite fit an 800 lb Goldwing :)
I ride the one on the right when I don't want much wind blowing in me. You'd be surprised at how well balanced they are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ride the one on the right when I don't want much wind blowing in me. You'd be surprised at how well balanced they are.

Appreciate the comments on a "big" bike, but I am looking for ways to customize the Wee for my style of riding and what I am comfortable with. I have a Sportster as well as the Wee and everytime I walk into the Harley dealership they tell me "You can ride that Road King or Electraglide no problem". Sure, balancing a big bike is no problem in a straight line while moving but moving a 700-850 pound bike in tight spots or trying to muscle it around in the garage IS a problem when you don't weigh alot.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts

Yea, I'd swap the Strom for the tractor too if I was in the mood for a little windless cruising. I have driven a few myself and I agree, those things balance great on four huge tires.
(sorry, couldn't help myself)

:rofl:

·
Registered
184 Posts
try a Windstrom manta they have a curved lip on the edges of the windshield and work great. The only thing is they are a little pricey, but excellent quality.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
the curved lip is one of the things that creates turbulence.

I have a Givi and a California Scientific tall. I use the Givi as a "summer" windshield. If you're shorter/narrower the Givi will work. Behind the CalSci the world is a quiet place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice oil catcher under the Harley there Faulkner! (I couldnt help myself either!)

Nice looking shop too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The best thing to reduce "felt" buffeting on arms and shoulders in my experience is to wear tighter fitting jackets...

Try using some velcro ties around your sleeves on one arm for a quick ride. Might be worth a few dollars to get one of the jackets with adjustable sleeves if this works for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The best thing to reduce "felt" buffeting on arms and shoulders in my experience is to wear tighter fitting jackets...

Try using some velcro ties around your sleeves on one arm for a quick ride. Might be worth a few dollars to get one of the jackets with adjustable sleeves if this works for you.
I might experiment with my jacket like you said. Its a Motoport Kevlar jacket so I'd preferably like to use it rather than another jacket for the crash protection.

I second that.
I'll have to seriously look into the Windstrom. Its only money :)
I was looking at the MPcycledesign also. I have emailed them TWICE over the last 3 weeks and have not received a response. If that is what their customer service is like mpcycle just lost a customer.

the curved lip is one of the things that creates turbulence.

I have a Givi and a California Scientific tall. I use the Givi as a "summer" windshield. If you're shorter/narrower the Givi will work. Behind the CalSci the world is a quiet place.
I want to be able to look over the shield and not have the top edge in my line of sight. It looks like the height dimension of the Givi may be a little too tall for me.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I too am very pleased with the Manta but that isn't the only issue. If you feel closely much of the wind blast comes from around the mirrors and the hand guards I added more aerodynamic mirrors mounted on extenders and better hand guards like the Power Mads with the larger deflectors.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts

What he said. If it doesn't help the velcro is still a useful item to carry under the seat.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Get the MPCycle Grand Touring 22", by far the best screen out there. You may have handlebar clearance issues unless you have adjustable (AKA ROX risers) and a Madstad bracket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts