StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 7 through 21: I'm doing a two week trip from Santa Barbara to Arizona and Utah. Mostly camping, will spend a few nights in motels. I'll be going through Phoenix to pick up a ridding pal. We are going to hit Grand Canyon (North Rim), Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef and possibly Monument Valley. I know it will be hotter than Hades in the Phoenix area. My question is, what to expect in weather (temps & rain) from North Rim to Bryce and the other higher elevations. I want to hear about some experiences for mid June in this region. I've been looking at annual temps and see from mid 70s to lows of mid 30s. I'm trying to plan on what to pack for the heat of the California and Arizona deserts to the higher elevations of Utah. I have hot weather mesh jacket and pants and cold weather, waterproof jacket and pants. I don't want to take both.

Help!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Looking forward to the answer too...as I plan to leave Indy on June 14th for two weeks of camping and riding in Colorado, Utah, and the North Rim area as well.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'll be on the North Rim in the 1st week of July myself. Did the South Rim about 10 years ago , same time, it was Hot , real hot. I too , would love to hear others experiences from the area about the climate.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I have hot weather mesh jacket and pants and cold weather, waterproof jacket and pants. I don't want to take both.
I went by there once mid-May and it wasn't even open, but I know that is no help. You'd probably be okay with mesh if you have warmer garments like liners and such to wear in case you encounter some cold. Even rain gear could provide some wind barrier. Probably most of your ride is going to be on the warm side I would guess.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
Weather depends on the gods. I've been at the North side of the GC Memorial Weekend and the temps were fine. North side opens that weekend. It had been cold in Flagstaff a day earlier.
North side is quite nice. Make your reservations or you may not get to camp. I camped on a Forest Service Rd outside the park. Any where was fair game.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I was just a kid last time I was out there so I really don't have any climate advice. But it looks like there will be stroms all over there in June. Aside from the others who posted that they are going myself and a buddy, both on 1K's will be leaving home on 6 June for a 3 week trip and will be passing through there. Our route will take us through SD, WY, CO, UT, and AZ. We might swing through NM on the way home but much of the return trip is up in the air since we have to be back by different days.

I guess my advice on climate is be prepared for everything. A lot of that area might be thought of as desert, some of it at higher elevations than I'm used to. What does that mean? It means you might be boiling during the day and cold at night. So if you are camping be prepared to stay warm at night.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
ya know- I don't wanna sound snarky when I say this- but I really don't understand this sort of question. Personally when I leave on a week long trip I always prepare for temps ranging from brrr to gah!

No use asking about the weather months in advance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I get where you are coming from. When I started camping off a bike it started off as weekends up near Lake Superior and the nearby national forest. The thing about that area is you can go from being in the woods where it's 90*+ to 50s down by the big lake. Then at night it might be high 30s by the lake and 50s or so in the woods. Then you could ride north or south and go from cold rain to sunshine in an hour or two. So I learned very early on to try and be as prepared for every kind of weather I could.

·
Registered
250 Posts
June 7 through 21: I'm doing a two week trip from Santa Barbara to Arizona and Utah. Mostly camping, will spend a few nights in motels. I'll be going through Phoenix to pick up a ridding pal. We are going to hit Grand Canyon (North Rim), Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef and possibly Monument Valley. I know it will be hotter than Hades in the Phoenix area. My question is, what to expect in weather (temps & rain) from North Rim to Bryce and the other higher elevations. I want to hear about some experiences for mid June in this region. I've been looking at annual temps and see from mid 70s to lows of mid 30s. I'm trying to plan on what to pack for the heat of the California and Arizona deserts to the higher elevations of Utah. I have hot weather mesh jacket and pants and cold weather, waterproof jacket and pants. I don't want to take both.

Help!
Great post! Another 'strom rider and myself will be staying in St George and riding everyday in those areas from the 9th thru the 13th.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The North Rim of the GC is on the Kaibab Plateau and is over 8000 feet in elevation, so you can expect somewhat drastic differences between daytime and nighttime temps. Could be in the 80s-90s in the daytime, and drop into the 30s at night.

The North Rim access typically opens on May 15th. The only thing that would delay that opening would be heavy snow blocking the main access road.

Jacob Lake is the closest town(?) to the North Rim. Here's their current weather:

Jacob Lake, Arizona (86022) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was there a few years back on 15th of June and there was about 8-10 inches of snow at the side of the road and about 35 degrees. I had just come from northern British Columbia where the temperatures were about 85 degrees. You can't guess what it will be! Hottest point on the trip was the furthest north and the coldest was furthest south (North Rim).

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I'm with Rashnak on this one. How hard it it to prepare for wide temperature variations?

1) open mesh jacket for hot times -- most come with a removable liner
2) sturdy rain gear to wear over mesh jacket for (duh!) rain and also in cooler temps to block the wind
3) fleece or insulated garment to wear under mesh jacket AND rain jacket for really cold times.

Same for pants.

If that can't carry you from 100F to freezing your body thermostat needs replacing. And that's about the range you should prepare for.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Whenever I travel, I always have cold riding gear, hot riding gear, and rain gear. Murphy's, you know...that Law and all...says that no matter which way you decide to do something, the opposite will most likely occur.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What I remember most about that area was the strong winds that seemed to be blowing all the time, mostly West to East. It was pretty warm too, but the wind stood out.
Bryce Canyon is incredible. The Grand Canyon gets most of the publicity, but after Bryce, it was kind of a let down. Seems like haze blown in from the west hurts the scenic experience.

·
Registered
462 Posts
1) open mesh jacket for hot times -- most come with a removable liner
2) sturdy rain gear to wear over mesh jacket for (duh!) rain and also in cooler temps to block the wind
3) fleece or insulated garment to wear under mesh jacket AND rain jacket for really cold times. .
I'm going to throw out a little variation of the setup you describe, for those that might be looking for different options. As we all know what works for me might not work for someone else. I will note that I'm a freeze baby and hate being cold, and being wet on top of that is worse and sometimes borderline dangerous in some of the temperatures I ride in.

1. Waterproof textile jacket with vents. Which one is up to you and your budget.
2. Off road chest protector/back/shoulder armor, elbow guards. Preferably all of that will have hard shell armor.
3. high collar fleece jacket for cooler temps. Works much better than a lot of the crappy thermal liners that come with many jackets. I also bring a couple of sweatshirts for if it gets too cold.
4. Waterproof riding pants with leg zips you can open from the top.

Why do I use a setup like this? Well waterproof gear should keep you dry, it is of great importance to me. Have we gone over how I don't like to be cold and wet. When it gets warm I'll open up the vents, and unzip the pants from the top of my thigh to just above the knee. That usually lets enough air in when it's hot, any hotter and I ditch my regular pants from underneath. If it gets even hotter, say going slow off road in a hot humid environment I'll take the coat off and just wear the armor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The North Rim access typically opens on May 15th. The only thing that would delay that opening would be heavy snow blocking the main access road.

Jacob Lake is the closest town(?) to the North Rim. Here's their current weather:

Jacob Lake, Arizona (86022) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground
We were at the North Rim mid-May last year, and the gate was still closed at Jacob Lake. However...:biggrinjester:...If you are nice to the kids who work at the little store there they will give you a xerox copy of the forest service map showing all the back roads to the rim! We were driving (not riding) so we drove to some wonderful and lonely overlooks. If you do this on a bike you better be ready for loose gravel and some dirt.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Keep in mind that skin temperature is about 94 - 95 F. If the air temperature is higher than that, too much ventilation raises the body temperature. When it is that hot you want a damp evaporative layer under controlled ventilation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been living in this area for 38 years ,
expect everything because of the differences in elevation .
Driving from Flag to N rim is nice , gets cold at night only , unless there's rain around
N rim is 8k feet , Phoenix is near sea level .

Why do you ask , don't you travel with preparedness ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fantastic Senery

I rode that area a few years back in early June. I had a day I lost track of how many times I went from 40's at high peaks, and back down to 90 deg. in the flats. I had heated vest and Harley gear with Cool Max. You will love it. The gear and the ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What about mid-september?

Planning the same ride in September. I am thinking it should be about the same as June, Hot until flagstaff, then warm days, cold at night everywhere else. Anyone been there that time of year that can comment?

Las Vegas - Prescott - Jerome - Sedona - Flagstaff - N Rim - Zion - Las Vegas

Based on comments about Bryce, seeing how close I'll be I may try and add that in someplace.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts