StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to position a small plastic box inside the left side of the fairing.
The fairing wall AFAIK has nothing to attach to, and I do not want to drill into it of course.. :yikes:
Thought of using some velcro with very strong adhesive, but I'm afraid that the adhesive will eventually dry and fall off, or that the velcro will not hold for example with a strong jump (but much more worried about the adhesive drying).

Then I thought maybe I can use the Velcro but use some kind of wire to hold the box from the front, but not sure if this is a good idea, and where exactly to attach the wire too

EDIT: This it the box/enclosure I'm using - (4.74 X 3.69 X 1.34")
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=+HM107-ND+

Any ideas and comments are welcome.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Standard practice in aircraft test, where you often need to attach instrumentation to an aircraft without drilling new holes is to "pick up" existing holes. Then fabricate a bracket that has holes to match those holes, bolt your box to that. You usually have to use slightly longer screws. I did this same sort of thing to make my base decal bracket.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Do not attach anything with any weight to the plastic. I take it you want to put something in the box. If it is very light and you can find a flat enough area, use 3M Dual Lock. 3M US: Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener

If some weight is involved, use the steel frame that supports the fairing. I have quite a bit of stuff in mine. A bronze electrical pipe grounding clamp is a perfect device to clamp on the frame tube and hold an aluminum bar to attach stuff to.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Standard practice in aircraft test, where you often need to attach instrumentation to an aircraft without drilling new holes is to "pick up" existing holes. Then fabricate a bracket that has holes to match those holes, bolt your box to that. You usually have to use slightly longer screws. I did this same sort of thing to make my base decal bracket.
Thanks, but there are no existing holes. That is my problem.

Do not attach anything with any weight to the plastic. I take it you want to put something in the box. If it is very light and you can find a flat enough area, use 3M Dual Lock. 3M US: Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener

If some weight is involved, use the steel frame that supports the fairing. I have quite a bit of stuff in mine. A bronze electrical pipe grounding clamp is a perfect device to clamp on the frame tube and hold an aluminum bar to attach stuff to.
Great advice, just what I needed.
Yes, the box is a bit heavy - it holds my Stromputer electronics (Brain).
will try to go that route, just need to find some place to cling to.
Hopefully I don't need to take off any plastics, like you did in the photo.

Side note: Why I need that enclosure moved.
1. That enclosure is under the seat and taking up space.
2. Last week, I found out that the temp sensor is showing 79F when my body was telling me it was 61F. Couldn't figure it out .. then after some thinking I realized that the whole box is warm.. the exhaust is hitting it up.. terrible place to locate a temperature sensor.

1 & 2 combined lead me to move the enclosure to the front - get my space under seat back (future fusebox, etc.) and get accurate temp readings.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@GreyWolf:
In the photo, there is a silver metal box on the center (with a white label).
How did you attach it?
It has a similar size to my enclosure.

·
Registered
424 Posts

I like that :thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
418 Posts
@GreyWolf:
In the photo, there is a silver metal box on the center (with a white label).
How did you attach it?
It has a similar size to my enclosure.
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the brass clamp bolts onto a strip of aluminum that is behind the frame tube. The enclosure is then screwed into that. Clever! :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The reflection can be confusing. The box is a black plastic PC8 fuse box.

It is attached to the aluminum bar with small nuts and bolts through the holes in the ears. Dual Lock would have worked too. The bar is held by the center screw in the grounding clamp. A Stebel horn on the other side is held the same way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Adel clamps are another way to mount things to the fairing frame. An advantage to Adel clamps is that they provide some vibration damping.

I made a bracket for my cruise control servo. It is attached to the fairing frame with three Adel clamps.

The two clamps on the front are obvious. The one on the bottom (for triangulation) is harder to see.

Here's the servo mounted:

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reflection can be confusing. The box is a black plastic PC8 fuse box.

It is attached to the aluminum bar with small nuts and bolts through the holes in the ears. Dual Lock would have worked too. The bar is held by the center screw in the grounding clamp. A Stebel horn on the other side is held the same way.
Great! Many thanks for the photos and explanation.

Adel clamps are another way to mount things to the fairing frame. An advantage to Adel clamps is that they provide some vibration damping.

I made a bracket for my cruise control servo. It is attached to the fairing frame with three Adel clamps.

The two clamps on the front are obvious. The one on the bottom (for triangulation) is harder to see.
Ron :mrgreen:
I like it too. Adel clamps seem to be a nice solution with their plastic cushioning.
What size did you use? 1/2''?

You guys rock - great information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts