StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I am looking to modernize the front end of the Wee a little, and thought about how rad it would look with projector headlights...and CCFL halos if possible.

Does it make sense to buy a kit for a car and cannibalize them, like these: http://www.carid.com/product.php?productid=73245&cat=68803&page=1

Or does anyone here know how I could go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Hitch.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*bump*

Anybody? The more I dream it up, the cooler I see it looking.

·
Registered
708 Posts
if you couldn't find modules that approximate the size and shape of the headlights now you'd be in for a pretty indepth mod i think...

good idea, but what are projectors going to do on teh strom? it throws crazy amounts of light as it is

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I wasn't looking for an exact fit. I was thinking more like taking the projectors out of a set of car housings and then mounting them in the Strom. I wouldn't want a silver backing though, so I'd either get rid of it entirely or just paint it glossy black.

Admittedly, this is mostly a cosmetic upgrade.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
John's bike makes mine look practically stock in comparison.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the HID mod is a good one, but part what I am trying to do is revamp the front end look of the Strom, specifically to do with the headlights. I don't fancy screening off the edges and going with big ole circles, because it doesn't really blend well with the rest of the bike IMO.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
John's bike makes mine look practically stock in comparison.
And mine comes from the town and era of Bedrock.

Just as many riders wouldn't go near my bike with the mods I have done to it, I wouldn't dare to swing a leg over John's bike. All I see are $$$ signs that I would probably have trashed in about one hour!

But, I do admire his ability and knowledge to push the envelope as to just how much stuff he can cram on to the bike. And, all of it has a purpose.

I guess that is what I like about the Strom; it is the perfect platform to build your own personal bike off of. You can go high tech like John's bike, or Neanderthal like mine.

B

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, I am finally getting closer to having a few answers. The bikes that have been subjected to this mod have so far been sport bikes that seem to have housing bloody well made for projector retrofits.

Retro Solutions has pretty much everything I would need, at least as far as I know. They sell this kit: http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-304/BIXENON-RETROFIT-PROJECTOR-HID/Detail which looks like it includes everything...problem is that I have no idea who they are, and I know the brand isn't reputable.

The biggest problem I am having right now is sorting out fact from fiction. Some folks say that you can't use HID kits with projector housings, others have done it. That leads me to just wanna get a car kit and take it apart...but then I hafta worry about bulb fitment, since no car I know uses H4 bulbs. Buh...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I run an HID conversion in my stock housings and would think that HIDs in a projector would be ideal. Could you buy some projectors like the Hella Micro DE and mount them in a fabbed housing?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good call on looking up Hella products. As it turns out they have a ton of stuff in the Xenon/projector category, even besides that micro DE. I am finding lamps as big as 90 mm. To go for the look I am wanting, I'll need two different sizes, which is easily doable.

My next question is this: Does anyone know where I can find various sizes of CCFL 'angel eyes', as well as 'pencil beams'. I know that isn't the right term, but basically small lights that are used mainly for added conspicuity.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
crystal ball

Be advised that many auto headlights put out a different pattern than bike lights. Do you do much night riding? I understand the need to be stylish, but I suspect the end result will be something that either blinds oncoming drivers and attracts LEO's (if such are a problem in your area) or provides poorer lighting than the stock units. As such, hopefully your mods will not be irreversible. FWIW my stock K2 lights are perhaps the best I've seen on a bike (other than full-dressers with aux lights) and better than some auto lights. of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I know that blinding other drivers isn't really an issue because projector housings have a good cutoff shade. As for the pattern, I'm not too worried. Projectors typically spread light out quite evenly when not combined with a reflector housing. Also, since I plan on having a total of 4 projector-type light sources, I can modify the beam pattern quite a bit to my liking.

Cars with proper projector setups don't cause too much glare...that was part of the reason for introducing them. It is usually the punk kids flyin' about with their cheap blue headlights in stock reflector housings that tend to cause problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts