StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the pain; I have a 2006 BMW R1200GS. I love the bike, my wife hates the seating. I'm selling it and it has less than 500 miles on it. Just shoot me.

I've done some research. As I own a new Triumph Bonnevile T100 and a Speed Triple, I looked at the Triumph Tiger. I think the pilon seating on the new 2007 would be worse than my R1200GS. Looked at the KTM's and no thanks.

A friend of mine told me to look at the Vstrom. I've had good luck with Suzuki's. I've owned a couple of GSX-R's, a DR650ES, and a DRZ400E. Never a problem with any of them.

I weigh 205 and my wife is 115. The 1200 GS hauls us around no problem and so does the 865 Bonnevile.

I want to use this bike at our lake place northern MN. Lots of nice twisty paved roads and some fun gravel ones to explore on too.

Does the Strom do well on gravel? Which one do you all recommend? The 1000 or the 650? Would the 650 be able to haul us on longer road rides without struggling? Is the 1000 nimble enough to putt around slowly on gravel? The GS is heavier, but you sure don't feel it.

All advice very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
With your combined weights you have nothing to worry about. If your EGO needs it buy the 1000, otherwise the 650 will do everything you ask of it and more 8)

SpeedMK said:
Here's the pain; I have a 2006 BMW R1200GS. I love the bike, my wife hates the seating. I'm selling it and it has less than 500 miles on it. Just shoot me.

I've done some research. As I own a new Triumph Bonnevile T100 and a Speed Triple, I looked at the Triumph Tiger. I think the pilon seating on the new 2007 would be worse than my R1200GS. Looked at the KTM's and no thanks.

A friend of mine told me to look at the Vstrom. I've had good luck with Suzuki's. I've owned a couple of GSX-R's, a DR650ES, and a DRZ400E. Never a problem with any of them.

I weigh 205 and my wife is 115. The 1200 GS hauls us around no problem and so does the 865 Bonnevile.

I want to use this bike at our lake place northern MN. Lots of nice twisty paved roads and some fun gravel ones to explore on too.

Does the Strom do well on gravel? Which one do you all recommend? The 1000 or the 650? Would the 650 be able to haul us on longer road rides without struggling? Is the 1000 nimble enough to putt around slowly on gravel? The GS is heavier, but you sure don't feel it.

All advice very much appreciated.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
Please lay off the "EGO CRAP" Nightwolf!!!!!! :roll: Ego has nothing to do with it...it is called a choice. I don't compensate for anything, and neither do most people that own a fast bike, or a big bore bike. If the Strom was only available in a 650....then I wouldn't own one. Myself and several other people, happen to enjoy riding bikes that you don't have to rev the piss out of them to hit the power ranges. The person that started this thread is obviously not new to motorcycling, and they are used to riding bigger and more powerful bikes. The 650 strom is a great bike, and they would probably like it just fine, but IMHO...the 1000 is better for 2 up, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Been discussed over and over. The chassis of the two bikes are basically the same, so there is only one reason to get the 1000 - to move up from adequate power to a whole lot of power. And there are a few reasons to get the 650 - a liittle less weight, more manageable on dirt/gravel, smoother, better fuel economy/range, no FI glitches (although this seems to be a diminsihing concern), and, of course, less expense.

If you really want a fast bike and want something that will pull with authority even two-up, then the 1000 is your stead. But if you're Okay with the the 650's 62 RWHP, it's the better balanced package.

- Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Night_Wolf said:
With your combined weights you have nothing to worry about. If your EGO needs it buy the 1000, otherwise the 650 will do everything you ask of it and more 8)

Thank you for the info. When my EGO needs to stretch it's legs, I pull out my new Triumph Speed Triple. This bike will reside at our lake home in northern MN. Casual scenic road stints of 300 to 400 miles and putting down gravel roads are what we do up there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gravel

To answer the question about the riding on gravel, the Strom has absolutely no problem. Shifting (deep) sand and mud can be hair raising. If you want to do more than dirt/gravel road or hardpack, lower the tire pressure to around low 20psi, helps a lot. I take my 650 down ATV tracks and haven't had problems. Since you are only using it part time and you have a stable of other bikes for power, I would suggest the 650, but both bikes are great.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Big B said:
Please lay off the "EGO CRAP" Nightwolf!!!!!! :roll: Ego has nothing to do with it...it is called a choice. I don't compensate for anything, and neither do most people that own a fast bike, or a big bore bike. If the Strom was only available in a 650....then I wouldn't own one. Myself and several other people, happen to enjoy riding bikes that you don't have to rev the piss out of them to hit the power ranges. The person that started this thread is obviously not new to motorcycling, and they are used to riding bigger and more powerful bikes. The 650 strom is a great bike, and they would probably like it just fine, but IMHO...the 1000 is better for 2 up, for obvious reasons.
Not to highjack a thread, but THANK YOU, BB. I agree completely. I too am tired of reading the same crap. The DL1k and the DL650 are totally different bikes and to reduce the differences to "ego" is, well, ridiculous.

To the original author of the post, I can only speak for the DL1k. It is a very solid bike and my guess is you'd find it more similiar to the Big G than a WeeStrom. I have 2 friends who made that exact transition and are very pleased.

Stromette

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I really think this subject is getting tiresome. I also believe that the people who post up with this question have already made up their minds, but are just looking for others to back up their decision. How many of these posts start with "I know the Wee is cheaper, lighter, more flickable, can commute and go 2 up at 80 mph all day, and has all the power I'll ever need. Should I get one?" Seems like you already know. What can anyone say to that will make you want to get a bigger bike? "Want to spend more, get worse mileage pay, more for insurance, drag around 30 lbs. of extra weght, and have more power than you really need? Then buy a liter bike."

Apparently I was OK with that so I bought the 1000. My reasons for buying the big bike have nothing to do with ego. It just seemed like a better fit for me. It looked more complete and balanced. It does have more power, but it is not all about top end. It is a different kind of power, very usable roll on power throughout the whole range. I am not a speed monster. On the contrary, I am probably the slowest Strom rider on the forum.

I like them and have ridden them both. But the Wee made me smile, and the Vee made me write a cheque.

Let's make it easier for all involved and have some sort of thread like "If you want a Wee, click here." Then all the reasons you are looking for will be listed in grand fashion. Other Wee guys could add to it. Newbs could see the link and go there, and they'll get the push they need. Just a thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WeThereYet said:
I really think this subject is getting tiresome. I also believe that the people who post up with this question have already made up their minds, but are just looking for others to back up their decision. How many of these posts start with "I know the Wee is cheaper, lighter, more flickable, can commute and go 2 up at 80 mph all day, and has all the power I'll ever need. Should I get one?" Seems like you already know. What can anyone say to that will make you want to get a bigger bike? "Want to spend more, get worse mileage pay, more for insurance, drag around 30 lbs. of extra weght, and have more power than you really need? Then buy a liter bike."

Apparently I was OK with that so I bought the 1000. My reasons for buying the big bike have nothing to do with ego. It just seemed like a better fit for me. It looked more complete and balanced. It does have more power, but it is not all about top end. It is a different kind of power, very usable roll on power throughout the whole range. I am not a speed monster. On the contrary, I am probably the slowest Strom rider on the forum.

I like them and have ridden them both. But the Wee made me smile, and the Vee made me write a cheque.

Let's make it easier for all involved and have some sort of thread like "If you want a Wee, click here." Then all the reasons you are looking for will be listed in grand fashion. Other Wee guys could add to it. Newbs could see the link and go there, and they'll get the push they need. Just a thought.

If you don't like these types of posts, then don't read them. Your response was worthless anyway. Debate is healthy and usually brings out excellent observations. One of the purposes for a forum like this.

Some of us are truly looking for owners who can give the pro's and cons of both bikes in a truly objective manner. What one does better than the other for example. My mind was not made up when I did the post and I wanted up to date information that included new features on both models as the 650 now has ABS as an example.

As money is no object for me, I was looking for the model that fits my needs based on what I was going to be using the bike for. I own 5 motorcycles because I buy each one to fit a certain application. The same goes for my boats/watercraft, ATV's, snowmobiles, autos, and trucks.

I've received some very good information from some members of this forum and I thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Speed MK,

I have to agree with you on some points. Perhaps your post was the wrong one to go off on. In reading it again it appears that you do have some genuine questions. My reaction was more in response to the direction the thread was taking with respect to the egos being the reason to go with the larger bike. I also agree debate is healthy. But this topic in general seems to drifting away from debate and going in an unhealthy direction. Some of the threads are becoming confrontational. I was not attacking your post per se. And I agree that your post did not start out in the usual manner. For that I apologize. If my response was worthless, it would not be the first one, and probably won't be the last. I just want to see this forum remain relevant to all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went from a Bonnie T100 to the Wee.
Faster than the bonnie and handles soooo much better, even 2-up!
No problems with it at all. Even pulling away at freeway speeds is no problemo. We aren't big people though.

The way i look at it is how fast do you really need to go? The 650 is already porche fast 0-60. No hiccup issues and it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to insure. Go with the 650, you won't be disappointed. I stressed about it for weeks! What a waste.

edit: I just re-read your post. If you have no problem with the T100 hauling you both around, then again... trust me... the 650 will be a joy. It's not a big difference, but it is quicker. And the bike is lighter by about 50lbs, just more top heavy so it about evens out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I ride a 1K. The thing I like most about it is how chicks think my unit is really huge because I ride a 1K. Seriously.

Anyway, the 650's rad, and if you don't need it as kick-you-in-the-pants fast bike (650's fast, 1000 will tear your arms off, both will make you grin) then the 650's a good call. I like the 1000 over the 650 for no reason other than the maniacal power the thing has. If you've already got a speed triple, you're set for a hooligan bike.

Also, I hate you because you own a speed triple and I don't. :))

·
Registered
180 Posts
I strongly suggest you find a mint 2003 DL1000 in the yellow color. It is common knowledge they are the best Stroms ever made!

Cheers!

V.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
d2mini said:
I went from a Bonnie T100 to the Wee.
Faster than the bonnie and handles soooo much better, even 2-up!
No problems with it at all. Even pulling away at freeway speeds is no problemo. We aren't big people though.

The way i look at it is how fast do you really need to go? The 650 is already porche fast 0-60. No hiccup issues and it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to insure. Go with the 650, you won't be disappointed. I stressed about it for weeks! What a waste.

edit: I just re-read your post. If you have no problem with the T100 hauling you both around, then again... trust me... the 650 will be a joy. It's not a big difference, but it is quicker. And the bike is lighter by about 50lbs, just more top heavy so it about evens out.
I would expect the DL650 to whip the T100. I own the T100 because it's fun to ride around on over short distances and I like the retro look. It always draws attention wherever I go. I did order a 2007 HD Heritage Classic for longer rides around my primary residence as the T100 is not for stints of over 200 miles at a crack.

I take my Speed Triple out when I want to rip around. I've owned a number of sport bikes and raced the 600 supersport class for a number of years and I like the S3 the best of any sport bike I've owned.

I'm buying a Vstrom to ride around at my lake place in northern MN. We ride at a fairly easy pace. If you push too hard, it's only a matter of time before you meet a deer while going too fast and I've seen the results of that impact first hand. Neither party wins that one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vordak said:
I strongly suggest you find a mint 2003 DL1000 in the yellow color. It is common knowledge they are the best Stroms ever made!

Cheers!

V.
We get into the best color war over at the Speed Triple forum on Triumphrat.net. It's good fun.

It's funny how yellow never wins over there. It's thought of as kind of a....well....GAY color.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it's any consolation, the 'which bike' question exists in other forums as well.

When I had my Burgman 400 scooter, I spent time at BurgmanUSA.com (a wonderful forum, by the way). The oft repeated question there was, "Should I get a 400 or a 650".

- Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WeThereYet said:
Speed MK,

I have to agree with you on some points. Perhaps your post was the wrong one to go off on. In reading it again it appears that you do have some genuine questions. My reaction was more in response to the direction the thread was taking with respect to the egos being the reason to go with the larger bike. I also agree debate is healthy. But this topic in general seems to drifting away from debate and going in an unhealthy direction. Some of the threads are becoming confrontational. I was not attacking your post per se. And I agree that your post did not start out in the usual manner. For that I apologize. If my response was worthless, it would not be the first one, and probably won't be the last. I just want to see this forum remain relevant to all.
Hey, No problem. I've seen squids in other forums try to stir things up. Over at Triumphrat.net guys argue in the Bonneville forum which motor, the 790 or 865, is better. This is all over 4HP in stock trim on a bike that is slow regardless of what you do to it. The Speed Triple guys argue over the fastest color. The BMW guys in the BMW owners forum are just plain boring and never argue.

I was leaning stongly toward the 1000 at the begining and after reading the posts and looking at other sites, I went to drive both of them today. For my application, I'm going with the 650, but I certainly can understand why guys go with the 1000. It's nice and if I didn't have my Hooligan Speed Triple or if all my riding was going to be on paved roads, I might have gone that way.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
SpeedMK said:
WeThereYet said:
Speed MK,

Hey, No problem. I've seen squids in other forums try to stir things up. Over at Triumphrat.net guys argue in the Bonneville forum which motor, the 790 or 865, is better. This is all over 4HP in stock trim on a bike that is slow regardless of what you do to it. The Speed Triple guys argue over the fastest color. The BMW guys in the BMW owners forum are just plain boring and never argue.

I was leaning stongly toward the 1000 at the begining and after reading the posts and looking at other sites, I went to drive both of them today. For my application, I'm going with the 650, but I certainly can understand why guys go with the 1000. It's nice and if I didn't have my Hooligan Speed Triple or if all my riding was going to be on paved roads, I might have gone that way.
Sounds like you are making a good decision!!!!! :wink: The 650 is just a smaller version of the 1000, and I am glad that it is a purchase option for people. I am probably getting a DR650 to compliment my litre Strom. It will be a "true" dual sport and will probably get me into some trouble "Im sure"! :lol:

Best of luck.....I also am jealous of your new triple!!!! :p

·
Registered
285 Posts
Big B said:
Please If the Strom was only available in a 650....then I wouldn't own one.
It's funny because I'm the other way around. I looked at the 1000 and was not interested. I don't like the idea of big bikes. If the 650 had not come along I would have probably gotten the SV650.
I like the smallest bike that fits my needs. The 650 is the perfect engine size for me for what I want it to do. If I want to have fun in the dirt I get out my trusy KLR250. If it's fun on the slab it's my GS500. I love to have an engine size that you have to make the bike work for what you want it to do. In 95% of the situations the 650 is more than I need. For the rest I could use a Triumph Triple or a GSXR750. The 1000 I don't think so. Going in a straight line with tons of power gets boring.
But like someone said to each his own.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts