StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying a low mileage 2015 V-Strom 1000 with less than 2000 miles. I have not seen the bike yet and I am buying on basis of pictures and talk with the owner who has kept the bike indoors and seems to be a straight up guy (I have already sent a deposit check). He bought the bike just over a year ago as dealer left over, but has not taken in for any maintenance (isnt there a 1000 mi check up?) Bike looks pristine with no accidents/drops.

Any advice for my purchase inspection on things to check for a low mileage bike like this?

I am looking forward to joining the Strom rider club.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,309 Posts
Should be all but a new bike in most ways. But, age is still age. So I would be sure to figure in needing to flush and bleed both the brake and clutch systems. Otherwise, a first service type of inspection should cover it. Tires.....are starting to age too. 5+ years old can mean they are starting to get hard and may not grip quite as well.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
181 Posts
2015, shoot that's new man. I've got a 2003 that i've been riding for a couple months down. I'm almost certain it's on the original brake fluids and many other original parts. I did go the typical stuff, like air filter, oil, etc. This bike may even have the original pads and all that. Stops like it should.

·
Registered
560 Posts
2015, shoot that's new man. I've got a 2003 that i've been riding for a couple months down. I'm almost certain it's on the original brake fluids and many other original parts. I did go the typical stuff, like air filter, oil, etc. This bike may even have the original pads and all that. Stops like it should.
Glad you are comfortable with that, but common wisdom is changing brake fluid about every two years, sometimes more frequent like with racing/track use. It's just very basic maintenance. Going is optional, but stopping is not. To the OP, I might also plan on a new battery if it hasn't been replaced yet. If ETOH containing fuel has been left in it, I would drain the tank, put in some fresh fuel with some Seafoam and then do some spirited riding. Check for the ECU recall. A nearby dealer should be able to look up if it's been done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
The first service is an oil & filter change, chain check (adj if needed and lube), check bolts and stuff. So if the original owner did the oil & filter change himself I wouldn't worry about that. But, if he's never changed the oil in 2000 miles ... hummm, not like that would totally mess up anything I guess but a bit odd.

I would look for any crash or drop damage ... also get him to pull the seat off and see if it really looks like he kept in indoors ... look for any evidence of a mouse nibbling on wires or leaves and stuff stuck in places (like a rodent nest).

Rust on chain?

Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Every time I've changed my brake fluid the stuff is as good as new when i change it. Maybe i'm running a better brake fluid. I understand that google says to change brake fluid every 2 years, but I feel that's excessive unless you're running extreme braking on your vstrom, which i doubt many of us are. It's simple easy maintenence so go at it if you want, but if my fluid looks clear I don't mess with it.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I'd do a couple things:

1. Change the oil and filter
2. Check/adjust the chain & lube it
3. Check/adjust he tire pressure
4. Top up the tank and ride like the wind.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Changing brake fluid every 2 years is not because of its color. Brake oil attracts a lot of humidity, even in closed environment like brake fluid system. As soon as you put new brake oil, it already has some precentage of water in it. By time, that percentage rises. It's been calculated that at 2 years the percentage of water is high enough to start reducing braking power.
So that is the reason.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I’ve never noticed a difference by flushing brake fluid. Not saying I never do it, but it’s definitely not every two years. The service manual also says to replace the brake hoses every four years and change plugs every 7500mi too, which is completely unnecessary.
Enjoy your new bike! If the title is clear and the steering stops aren’t broken off, it should be alright.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Every time I've changed my brake fluid the stuff is as good as new when i change it. Maybe i'm running a better brake fluid. I understand that google says to change brake fluid every 2 years, but I feel that's excessive unless you're running extreme braking on your vstrom, which i doubt many of us are. It's simple easy maintenence so go at it if you want, but if my fluid looks clear I don't mess with it.
I mostly ride with sport bikers or like I'm riding a sport bike... it's in my nature due to early training. So yeah, I'm on the brakes with vigor. Trail braking is my friend. But I really don't look to google for my motorcycle maintenance questions...
Maybe you live in the desert?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts