StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I browsed my local BMW dealer's rack of Powerlet kits. I'd been looking for something to install on the Richland Rick ignition shelf. So browsing the kits, I saw that they had kits in 24, 36 and 48 inch length. I knew 24 inches was too short to reach back to the battery. But I debated between the 36 and 48 inch wire lengths. I settled for the 36 inch wire kit.
Yesterday I decide to put in the kit. Punched a hole in the shelf and mounted the socket. No problems yet. Lifted the gas tank a bit to route the wires. Got the harness past the engine without touching any possible hot spots. No problems yet. Get to the back end of the tank and I'm running out of wire. Problem. I'm about six inches short of making it to the battery. So I'm going to have to splice in some wire. If I had installed the socket on the left side fairing the length would have been perfect but the run to the ignition is just a little bit farther.
The lesson learned is buy the longest length available, it can always be coiled up somewhere if not needed.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
When faced with such situations, I try to work as fast as possible so I can get the job done before the wire runs out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts