StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 26" windshield that was perfect with my stock seat, but my custom seat is a bit lower & now the top edge of that shield is right in my line of vision.

I'm positive cutting it down 2" would be perfect but I would never attempt this on my own. So what type of businesses do you guys think may do this kind of thing?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Most retail plastics Co's will also do it. I've had a Co out here called a Tap plastics cut one years ago.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
+1 on TAP Platics. Great to do business with. In fact, they have great customer service, and if you contact them, they may tell you how to have it cut, even if they aren't going to be doing it themselves.

A metal fabrication shop may be able to do what you're asking. When I cut acrylic plastics, I use a metal cutting blade (lots of TPI) in a sabresaw; cut very slow, and use tape over the cut line. If they have a variable speed metal cutting bandsaw (the kind you might find in a metal shop), they could probably do it for you, though I doubt if they would take any responsibility if it went badly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've done a few using a Dremel with a rotozip type bit and then sanded/filed the overall edge to perfection, but that's the hard pain-in-the-ass way. You want a bandsaw or scrollsaw with a real high TPI. You'll still need to do some sanding to smooth out the cut edges (use a foam sanding block/sponge as found at Lowes), but it's very doable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ok.. I will be the one to make the joke..

How about a booster seat.. :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I cut mine down with a hacksaw. Masked off the area of the cut, then took a string and a Sharpie to get the curve even. Carefully cut it freehand, following the line from each side halfway. I haven't even sanded it down yet, but a little sandpaper wouldn't hurt. My buddy the glazier is totally offended by this and insists I bring it by to spend 30 seconds with his glass sander.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions...except for the booster seat, which is useless. :thumbdown:

Anyway, I'll have to check around because there's zero chance it will come out well if I try it on my own.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Give it a go. I just cut the windshield on my Harley Road King, and it came out great. I used a saber saw with a 22 tooth blade. I masked off both sides of the shield; then made a template out heavy poster paper by tracing the existing edge of the shield so the curvature would be the same. I trimmed the template with scissors on the traced line, then traced that onto the taped area. I took my time with the saw, then finished with 200 and 400 grit wet sanding blocks. Super easy, and it looks great. I did this with the shield on the bike for stability when cutting. Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it. Back in the day, when I ran a drilling rig, my hands told me I had a touch like a gorilla with a migraine!

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I have cut several, and done a lot of plastic work. I use my bandsaw. I bet if you ask around you'll find a friend or co-worker with some kind of bandsaw that will make short work of it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have heard of people using a handheld belt sander to shorten and shape at the same time. You just need to take time to remove the sanded/melted plastic as you go along.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Give it a go. I just cut the windshield on my Harley Road King, and it came out great. I used a saber saw with a 22 tooth blade. I masked off both sides of the shield; then made a template out heavy poster paper by tracing the existing edge of the shield so the curvature would be the same. I trimmed the template with scissors on the traced line, then traced that onto the taped area. I took my time with the saw, then finished with 200 and 400 grit wet sanding blocks. Super easy, and it looks great. I did this with the shield on the bike for stability
I've done many, and this is my method except I use a fine tooth metal blade in a jig saw. It's hard to screw it up if you take your time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mark out the line to be cut then use a high speed air powered angle grinder with one of the small diameter ultra thin cutting discs attached. Take your time and a perfect cut will result.

Finish off by chamfering the cut edge with a fine file.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I've done many, and this is my method except I use a fine tooth metal blade in a jig saw. It's hard to screw it up if you take your time.
+1 for the metal blade in the jib(old timers like myself know these as "saber") saw.

Once you get over the fear of messing up, this is truly a DIY job. I marked the top edge shape of my screen on a piece of cardboard (cut it on that line) as a template. If you want to practice, transfer that line an inch higher than the final height you want. It's a pretty simple eye/hand coordination exercise when you take your time :thumbup:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Several videos, but this with nice Pink Floyd orchestral soundtrack:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had one cut. Took it to a glass shop, $10 bucks and 10 minutes. It turned out great.
Sounds like a winner.

I appreciate all the encouragement, but I don't trust myself on this one.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Or maybe you could ship it to someone on here who has already done it, and is willing to do it for you? Best person to have shorten your windshield is probably someone who has done it before.....

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or maybe you could ship it to someone on here who has already done it, and is willing to do it for you? Best person to have shorten your windshield is probably someone who has done it before.....
Good idea, but I think it would be more convenient for me to find a local business that cuts glass, etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts