StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have bought the farkles that I have wanted to for a while (madstad bracket, mirror extenders, engine guards, and fork brace) I am very happy with all of them. Now I want to get power up to the "dash" so I can plug in the i-phone, Garmin, or possibly heated grips for when the weather gets cold again. I'm looking for advise on the best way to do this. I know that we should never ground directly to the Vstrom frame, and need to go to the negative terminal, but is there a way to bring power up front from the battery to tap into; ie a sub panel for the cycle?:jawdrop::jawdrop:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Depends on how many electrical accessories you intend to hook up. I used a Fuzeblock wired directly off the battery for mine. They have a unique design that allows you to connect any accessory either "switched" or "constant power" by how you install the fuse into the receptacle.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are a multitude of different ways to do this. Personally I went with the Zumo mounted on a Twisted Throttle GPS mount (the Zumo comes with all of the wiring; it better for the price of the damn thing!) and a 3BR TAPP Lite USB for my iPhone. I have both running straight to the battery at the moment but most will tell you that you should (and I intend to) install a fuse panel with a tie in to a switched circuit.

Some quick searches through this site will yield LOTS of detailed information on potential options but Eastern Beaver is a good place to start looking.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Eastern Beaver makes 3 circuit and 8 circuit fuse panels pretty much specific for your bike...
+1

I got the three circuit, and was tickled with it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
You have two problems to solve. Where to mount your ports, and how to wire them. Regarding the mount I'd recommend Rick's Aux Panel. To wire them I'd go with one of Eastern Beaver's fuseboxes. I have the PC-8 which I highly recommend.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
+2 for the PC8.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone use all the circuits on the power 8 box? and if so what is wired to it. I have a 2005 V-Strom, so am not sure what the max wattage I can pull at any given time. I may not be ready for everything now, but want to get the right thing the first time.
Also is it possible to have two 3 circuit systems concurrently (ie.. get one now, and add another in the future if needed)?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A 2005 DL650 outputs 375W @5000rpm. About 100-125W are free for use. I have an Easter Beaver PC8 with all 8 connected. Horn, HID headlights, heated grips and gloves, heated jacket liner, GPS, voltmeter/thermometer, cigarette lighter type socket and extra lighting are some of the items. You can have more than one fuse block.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I installed the Eastern Beaver single Powerlet outlet for the fairing. Purchased the cigarette adapter for it plus a low profile dual usb cigarette adapter. Allows me to power two items at the same time and takes up very little space in my bag.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Umm- yeah- Horn, driving lights, aux sockets- 1 BMW type and 1 auto type front and 1 BMW type rear, heated grips, 'blinky' lights, and a sub master for the 8th which is on a separate 'avionics master' & fuse block that takes care of the intercom, GPS, radar detector and all the other electronic goodies I add.

Ok- I admit to having a problem. :mrgreen:

Steve E

Does anyone use all the circuits on the power 8 box? and if so what is wired to it. ...?

·
Registered
16 Posts
After a trip to Radio Shack, I realized that the parts alone will cost you as much as buying the wiring harness at Eastern Beaver. There's absolutely no reason not to pick up his wiring harness, even if you don't use the PC8. I already had a Blue Sea.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Part of the reason for that is because Radio Shack is one of the words biggest rip offs. Way overpriced for generally cheaply made junk. For the most part.

You could probably pay less than half the price at any online electronics place.

That being said. I'd still get the one from eastern beaver.

from my droid.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Powering thoughts

I was in the same boat so I ordered the Rickland aux Shelf and have the right and left holes kit for two Eastern Beaver power outlets, in the middle of the aux shelf I have a Datel Voltmeter. All will be wired to the Easter Beaver Pc-8 fuse block which I also got the PC-8 Wiring harness. Now I just need one nice day to install everything and connect the air horn to the block too. Once I go to install I will take pictures. The only thing I see being an issue so far is getting to the rear brake connector.:jawdrop:

·
38,103 Posts
It works best to take the tank off to run wiring. From there, just undo two bolts, lift the coolant overflow tank and the rear brake switch connector is right there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: power outlet

+++for Eastern Beaver. Got the 3 circuit solution. Powers what I need. Have heated grips and Powerlet outlet with BMW style connector. Plug in play. Ordered mine with two switched and one unswitched. Powerlet outlet gets power all time, heated grips only with ignition on. Get a pig tail to allow BMW to SAE style connector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
PC8 and Ricks aux shelf. Have a USB port for iphone, cig lighter port for tire pump, toggle for fog lights, and volt meter, and still one toggle left for future upgrades ;)

·
38,103 Posts
Here's one way to reduce the picture size. http://www.stromtrooper.com/230818-post5.html

Whatever way works for you, please do it. I'm tempted to just remove that huge pic. 800 pixels is a typical maximum for a side.

Fixed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts