StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at tires that grip to keep up with the crotch rockets, but could also last as much or longer than my trusty Battlewings.

So far i've seen Pirelli Angel GTs and Michelin Anakee 3, on sale at 35$ more than my current T31s :surprise:

What say you, troopers? Do the GT last that long? Is the A3 really bad? Or is it the opposite?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I positively love the Angel GT's on my ST 1300, and they lasted me around 12-13k miles. The feel planted, I can lean the bike over as far as I want, and the grip is great in the wet. But I am not riding it like you must - and I don't usually try to keep up with anyone else - especially not crotch rockets. Tire mileage is very much a function of how you corner and how fast you accelerate and brake. Remember the old advertisement about such and such a car owned by a little old lady who only drove it to and from church on Sunday? Bet she NEVER had to change her tires.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I like the handling from the Michelin PR4 Trails. Going to try a Road 5 Trail on the rear with the PR4 front. Closing in on 10,000 miles on the rear PR4.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can also reco the Pirelli Angel GTs, although my mileage experience was more like 6000 R - 7500 F. Lots of great praise about the Mich PR4s, but I have no direct experience with them.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I'm looking at tires that grip to keep up with the crotch rockets, but could also last as much or longer than my trusty Battlewings.

And good in mud and rain and will get you to Alaska and back?:grin2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys :smile2: I wasn't considering the PR4 and R5T because of the added 100$ value per set.
I'm fully aware that i'm hard on tires, so getting 8000 miles would be awesome. i heard good things of the Angel GT but wasn't sure if it was an urban legend like the K60s or if it was real.

And good in mud and rain and will get you to Alaska and back?:grin2:
Laughs.

Wouldn't it be nice though!

Cheap, durable performance tires? :grin2:

·
Registered
657 Posts

So far i've seen Pirelli Angel GTs and Michelin Anakee 3, on sale at 35$ more than my current T31s :surprise:

What say you, troopers? Do the GT last that long? Is the A3 really bad? Or is it the opposite?
Who's dissing my A3? I will never run another tire on my strom.

Out of my last five Anakee rears, I've gotten:

17,037mi
18,173mi
15,824mi - then dismounted and given to a friend who put it on his bike and took it from Philly all the way to Baja
8,557mi before a bad flat - currently in my basement and may repair it
20,156mi

Current has over 16k and I don't expect to replace it for another couple of months.

Ride quality can suffer near the end, but I've never actually ridden one completely bald.

Grip has been fine in all weather. I don't ride off-road.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who's dissing my A3? I will never run another tire on my strom.

Out of my last five Anakee rears, I've gotten:

17,037mi
18,173mi
15,824mi - then dismounted and given to a friend who put it on his bike and took it from Philly all the way to Baja
8,557mi before a bad flat - currently in my basement and may repair it
20,156mi

Current has over 16k and I don't expect to replace it for another couple of months.

Ride quality can suffer near the end, but I've never actually ridden one completely bald.

Grip has been fine in all weather. I don't ride off-road.
You sir, just made my choice, a harder one.

Is it true that the A3 is a little softer and more vulnerable to puncture?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,337 Posts
First, don't be surprised if you realize the Battlewings are actually one of the best tires you can run on the V STrom. You can drag the $%^&*(# frame half in two with them as far as how they stick on pavement. ( You still won't keep up with the crotch rockets! ).

I am running the T-31 Bridgestones on the RT. We have run their predecessors on the Super Tenere and the 650 V Stroms. Again, there is no limit to the traction that will keep you from dragging hard parts on the bike. And still have reserve.

I have run the PR3 and PR4 on teh 2012 650. Good tires, but wear wasn't all that good either. Bought them after drinking the Kool-Aid that they were such long wearing tires.

ANY tire you run will squirm on tar snakes. Some will wear funny. Some will hit a patch of something loose on pavement and you will swear they are worthless.....when any tire will slip in that case. Street tires do tend to ride a bit smoother than the Battlewing, as the Battlewing has a stiff sidewall and tread area.

It comes down to a tire you trust. A tire that doesn't scallop badly feels good through its life. They all flat spot when run thousands of miles on interstates. American Moto Tire has Bridgestone T-31 in V Strom sizes for $238 shipped. Everyday price. These wear good, as well as most other tires. They wear more evenly than most tires. They stick and have a really good feel when pushing them hard in turns. Never had any issue in the wet with them.

Speaking of wet traction, my personal beef with those that claim the Michelin tire is the best in the rain confuses me. How did they arrive at that statement? Did every other tire spin out or slide across three lanes of traffic in wet conditions? Cause I have run several brands over the past few years and simply have never had a tire slide out on the wet. I even test wet traction with a rip on the throttle and clutch to get a feel for the pavement....and still they stick. I think about all tires you buy today are really good tires all around....

·
Registered
233 Posts
I run the A3 specifically because it has excellent performance on the Northwet's slick mossy roads. Not to mention some brands of white road paint absolutely suck when wet because it's so slippery. Mileage? 10k+. Gravel road? No problem, air down to 20 and float.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,337 Posts
I've also had good luck with the Shinko 705's. If you are money conscious they deliver, 10,000 on the rear and $160 for a set.
On the DL 1000 I would get 3500-4500 miles from the rear 705!

I did buy more than one set at $100 per set delivered. The good ole days!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@realshelby : I like the T31, the back tire grips good and got a 3(rear) to 1(front) ratio on tires, which is good. The T30s gave me a 2 to 1 ratio, and were quite good in corners too. I don't really care that much for wet handling, as i will get into "rain mode", cut on speed and angle of turn. In other words, i don't trust any tire in the wet, so pretty much anything better than a bare rim should be fine for that (lol). In the current matter, i'm looking at which tire could give me better mileage and cornering than the T31s for a minimal increase of budget, while the sale is on.

And now... i realize i didn't post which tires i have on the bike at the moment... Bridgestone T31... sorry!

I run the A3 specifically because it has excellent performance on the Northwet's slick mossy roads. Not to mention some brands of white road paint absolutely suck when wet because it's so slippery. Mileage? 10k+. Gravel road? No problem, air down to 20 and float.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I've also had good luck with the Shinko 705's. If you are money conscious they deliver, 10,000 on the rear and $165 for a set.
You guys freak me out with your high mileage results :surprise:
705s aren't an option, at least not for now, i need something more street oriented.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
You guys freak me out with your high mileage results :surprise:
705s aren't an option, at least not for now, i need something more street oriented.

Yea the mileage some get... :confused:

I use Shinko 712s. Cheap and work great for me. 90/10 type tires.
They're fine on dry dirt too.

I get my normal mileage out of the rear but for some reason the front doesn't seem to wear at all. Typically I get 2 rears to one front (with other tires). I changed out the 712 front after 3 rears just cause I thought I should but it still looked good.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You sir, just made my choice, a harder one.

Is it true that the A3 is a little softer and more vulnerable to puncture?
I've gotten screws and nails in just about every rear tire I've had, so I don't know if the design is to blame. Sheet metal screws are great at working their way in.

I keep a plug kit and compressor under the seat, because it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Tire wear min tread depth 1.5mm

I replace tires when they hit the wear bars.
I figure that's what they are there for!

Unfortunately I wear the middle out long before the sides. Would be great to live somewhere that that wasn't the case!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts