StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 DL650.....I have heated grips, a pair of Cree 10w driving lights, run a gps and that's about it......for now. Had bad luck with the bikemaster gel blue battery, twice in my Polaris so not one of my favorites.......Open for suggestions, price and a link would be great......
Thanks.....jim

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just replaced mine with another Yuasa (first one was original and almost 5 years old). Bought from Motorcycle Superstore since they were/still might be on sale. Not that I'm into batteries all that much...:beatnik:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The original batteries are only lasting two years?
Let it run dead once last year from the heated grips and it's never been the same since. Kept it on the trickle all winter, took it out for the first time about two weeks ago and one more time since then. Went in there today, turned the key, fuel pump cycled, then click, click, click. Started right up with the charger but.....time for a new battery. Not going to deal with the possibility of getting stranded anywhere........

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lead Acid Battery Life Time

My 2 cents ...

Most new car batteries come with a 3 year prorated warrantee. Given the use environment and duty cycle differences between Cars and Motorcycles ... and
I do not carry motorcycle jumper cables .... so for the last 30+ years of motorcycle riding ... I tend to replace the battery every 3 years or so.

YMMD

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
My 2 cents ...

Most new car batteries come with a 3 year prorated warrantee. Given the use environment and duty cycle differences between Cars and Motorcycles ... and
I do not carry motorcycle jumper cables .... so for the last 30+ years of motorcycle riding ... I tend to replace the battery every 3 years or so.

YMMD
Yeah about 3 years for me too. Rather err on the side of caution.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Very happy with MotoBatt from Murph's in my two bikes for some years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do a search on Amazon for the battery, such as "YOUSA YTXB12S" (or whatever the proper model is, I'm going from memory) and there are some good prices with free shipping. The nice thing about that is YOU get to load the acid and YOU get to charge it properly the first time. It includes instructions.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I like the Deka terminals and that its made here in the US. I'll probably get another Deka if I'm not in a hurry next time. Walmart Everstarts are very convenient though, my last battery went out on short notice and Walmart was the only choice open at 9pm Friday night. :mrgreen:

I've had three Walmart motorcycle batteries in different bikes, so far all have lasted more than 4 years. Haven't had one die yet. The one I have now in the Vee has been great. Been getting 6 years out of most of my OEM batteries, but I never run them dead and use a trickle charger when I'm not riding. I also have a volt meter, so when things stay in the really low 12's its time for a new one.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
The original Yuasa came out of my 06 last spring at seven years young and still putting out 230 CCA, according to the dude at Batteries Plus. I just brought it there to dispose of, but he was surprised I was ditching it. I told him it was seven years old. So I also did the new Yuasa on Amazon with free shipping.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i was looking at the battery tender lithium iron batteries, anyone use or consider those? i was thinking i would get that or something similiar when mine goes down the road

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Be sure to check charging voltage to make sure your stator and R/R are OK. There are several threads about that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think its finally time to replace the original battery in my 05!:jawdrop:
I'll buy another Yuasa lol.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
"Battery prefer -20 or -30 than heated place."

Uh-Oh, I'm in Sunny Calif and the only time I see those temps is when I go to Alaska, which is never.
I guess pulling up a snow bank and burying the bike for the winter could work?:green_lol:

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I like the Deka terminals and that its made here in the US. I'll probably get another Deka if I'm not in a hurry next time. Walmart Everstarts are very convenient though, my last battery went out on short notice and Walmart was the only choice open at 9pm Friday night. :mrgreen://
Supposedly the EverStarts are made by - Yuasa! And Yuasa is owned by Exide.

I've switched to the lighter, longer-lasting, but very expensive LiFeP04 battery type for the Tiger. My 2009 V-Strom still has a 2011 EverStart I took out of my SV650 when I sold it.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Full Spectrum Lithium

:) The battery I use and carry is the Full Spectrum light weight Lithium. Great weight savings and significantly more cranking power than the OEM batteries including Yuasa or other conventional batteries,

The nice thing about the Full Spectrum is that it is military grade and the only made in the USA Lithium Battery that I am aware of that is certified good to go on Air Transport for Shipping.

Let me know if this is one that you would be interested in looking at,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 20 of 32 Posts