StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the symptoms of a worn out clutch? At +70k miles I'm starting to notice my clutch action is different. I have almost no friction zone, so I have to be very careful when I modulate the clutch. I also noticed that's it's a lot more difficult coming out of a stop. More and more often I stutter the clutch trying to get going. I've had this bike from mile 1 and keep everything maintained. It feels like a worn out part, more than something being broken.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
A worn out clutch starts slipping under engine load. Starts slipping in 6th gear first and works its way to lower gears as wear increases.

A good test is to get on a long expressway uphill and set the bike 1 or 2 gears to high. Roll on the throttle hard and accelerate watching for the tach to climb without any corresponding speed increase.

Your bike has hydraulic clutch. The slave or master could be going out or air has entered the system. I am on 07 Vee with 81,000 miles. The clutch is still fine, no hint of slippage.

I assume you are using MA rated oil for wet clutches. If not, you need to. Stay away from any oil with friction modifiers noted on the API label.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Well its March so its time for the monthly clean out your sprocket area and clean and polish the clutch actuation rod. Your certainly old enough so a fluid flush would in order as well. Lastly disassemble clean and grease the actual hand lever mechanism. This FREE maintenance should set you right

There are some internal clutch dressing that might help as well as making sure you have thin oil 10w 30 recommend

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starts slipping in 6th gear first and works its way to lower gears as wear increases.
I'll give this a try. Now that you say it, it makes sense. I've been doing the opposite, seeing if it slips in 1st. If it passes, I'm going to look at the hydraulic lines. I keep everything cleaned and bled, so the hoses might need to be replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check your clutch slave cylinder. It can get gunked up from the actuator rod side and start sticking. It happened to me. I would suggest you disassemble it and clean it before the fluid flush.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
While you are in cleaning the rod, check your slave "piston" and slave for proper action or pitting. You will loose your brake fluid so have some on hand. (A vacum pump is handy if you can't get the system to pump up)
Edit: Ha, Jim dandy beat me to it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts