StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get this done at a locksmith or do I need to get a Suzuki blank from the dealer? My one key has the serial or key number on it.
Thanks for any help!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I've had them made at the locksmith kiosk at the mall, they had the blank, just plain flat metal, they cost about $2.00 I carried one in my wallet, for emergency, and under the seat I had a spare key for my givi top box and bags.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Yea, I had one made at the locksmith, they had the blank in stock. Think it cost like $5, and took all of 2 min to make. As long as they have the blank it shouldn't be a problem.

Blank #: ilco, X241, SUZ18

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
A buddy called me the other day because he lost his keys.
He wanted me to pick open his Givi's (He had a spare inside for the Givi's)and cut him 2 blanks he bought at the dealer.
He paid 50 bucks for just the 2 blanks uncut, guess it hurt his feeling when I started laughing.:green_lol:
I had bought a pack of 10, just plain blanks for .79 cent a piece to hang in my shop at work, since I have 3 Suzuki's at home and my riding partner has 2.
I'm a locksmith at a hospital so have all the toys to make keys.
Next time he will call sooner!
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, big bucks from the dealer! I found a guy in Los Angeles today, 3 bucks each, they work perfect!

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Hi, Yes, the OEM replacement cost for blanks is outrageous at best. I have a spare or two made every time I get a new bike at my local locksmith or at Walmart if it happens to be closer and like others have mentioned pay $2 - $3 for them,

They work very well,

Just check the key right away when you get it cut to be sure it is right and if not get it re-cut at the same place for free,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yea, I had one made at the locksmith, they had the blank in stock. Think it cost like $5, and took all of 2 min to make. As long as they have the blank it shouldn't be a problem.

Blank #: ilco, X241, SUZ18

Hope this helps
This is the same blank I had cut at a local locksmith. He charged $ 1.75 each.

After, I ground down the head of the key and drilled a hole for a key ring just to make the key a littler smaller.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
KEYS

there are 2 key blanks that fit my DL650

one is longer than the other

it took the longer key, to operate my ignition

the shorter blank, when cut, operated the gas cap & the seat latch

just observations

shiny side up

·
Registered
113 Posts
there are 2 key blanks that fit my DL650

one is longer than the other

it took the longer key, to operate my ignition

the shorter blank, when cut, operated the gas cap & the seat latch

just observations

shiny side up
Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought my '07 650, and the original owner couldn't find the original key with the #s stamped in it. Do you think I could get a spare made from the spare? Or do I need the original with the #s stamped in?

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
A locksmith can cut a new key from the one you have. What you are calling a spare is one of two keys that came with the bike. The key number is on a tag only, not on a key.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Local locksmith was able to make copies of my keys for the bike and the luggage without issue. Keep a set that fits my wife's bike under the seat of my bike and a set that fit my bike under the seat of her bike. The idea being, if on a ride/trip one of us lose our keys, we can get going using the other set of keys. Hopefully, we don't both lose of keys at the same time. :yikes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts