StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving soon for a seven month deployment and I don't have a garage to store my bike in. I'm hoping somebody on here can recommend a good cover that will hold up to seven months of exposure. I'm in coastal Southern California so the weather is not to extreme. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On more note on the bike. I have a full caribou case system on the bike so ideally the cover should fit over those as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A bike at a storage unit near me got blown over due to bad winds, and sat on its side for months before it was found and picked up. The cover was damaged, frayed, and the bike is still sitting with tatters of a cover on it.

Can you rent a small storage unit for 7 months? Near me, a small unit is under $50 a month, which would be worth the cost in my opinion to keep your bike safe.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I agree. If you can find a storage unit, your bike will be much safer and secure than parking it outside for 7 months. Just put Stabil in the gas tank and disconnect the battery or hook it up to a smart charger. If you have a friend with room in his garage for the battery, that would be even better. Good luck, and thanks for your service. Which branch?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a Wee 650 with 35L Caribou side bags that I always keep covered with a Dowco Guardian Adventure Touring shroud. While I DO store my bike in a barn from mid-December through early March, the bike is parked outside my house for the rest of the year where it is subjected to snow, rain, blazing sun and the occasional hailstorm. I've had the Dowco cover since I purchased my Wee in May 2011 and it shows absolutely no signs of wear or degradation. FWIW, it has grommets, too, that enable you to lock it to the bike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You might want to check with a local dealer too. I've found a few that will do storage for deployments (I used to be in the Navy) for a greatly reduced price and they actually kept the battery charged and changed the oil before I got back. I did not buy my bike from them but I did get stuff done there (tire changes and other maintenance that was out of my comfort zone).
They might also know a local storage place.
I used a cover I got from Wal Mart all year long when I lived in Connecticut. I rode all year so it wasn't exactly what you're going to need but the cover lived through and protected my Wee from snow, hail and two hurricanes (the last being Sandy). I had the one they have for transporting motorcycles (it has lots of tie downs and stuff in the box with it) and I was able to secure it well. It was large enough to cover my bike with a top box and soft side bags. Oddly enough it tore to shreds when I actually transported my bike to Florida.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'd either rent a storage locker or rent space from my local dealer. My bike's been blown over in the driveway too.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm leaving soon for a seven month deployment and I don't have a garage to store my bike in. I'm hoping somebody on here can recommend a good cover that will hold up to seven months of exposure. I'm in coastal Southern California so the weather is not to extreme. Any help would be appreciated.
Wow, really brings back memories for me. I remember leaving my CBR covered and wedged between two friends cars, all of which were left in our motor pool for 6 months. They were tightly parked and surrounded with concertina wire. My bike was fine and the cover remained on but was bleached out. Subsequent deployments My platoon SGT allowed me and another keep our bikes in his on-base garage. I would have never thought of the idea of asking a dealer to keep the bike for you. Good tip.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Best of luck on deployment. If I lived anywhere near you I'd park it in my garage. If you can't scare up a similar offer nearby, though, storing it a dealer seems wise.

·
Registered
719 Posts
And put something to stabilize the ethanol in the gas or you could come back to jelly. Not real likely in that amount of time but better to be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
Best of luck on deployment. If I lived anywhere near you I'd park it in my garage. If you can't scare up a similar offer nearby, though, storing it a dealer seems wise.
I would hope a Cali member would step up and provide storage. Like KZ said if I were closer I would make room here.

Besides the cover don't forget to put a healthy dose of ethanol killer in the fuel and run it through the system before parking it. Battery tender Jr on the battery too. Thanks for serving!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Maybe check "tent space " threads on ADVRider , where people offer hospitality to travellers , one might be able to baby sit your machine .

Good luck !

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm about 65 miles from ya, but you can keep it in my garage, free of charge. I'll keep a battery tender on it. PM me if you want to take up the offer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts