StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the V Strom. I got my bike about 2 1/2 weeks ago (07 DL1k) and was able to put about 600 miles on this past weekend which is a good weekend for me.
The problem I am having is that I am getting a huge burning sensation across the back of my neck and shoulders, mostly over my left shoulder.
I have installed Rox Risers for the bars which raised the bars about 1 1/2" and moved them back about 1". I also use a small back rest that I find helps me sit straighter, not so hunched over. I am 6'6" tall.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same kind of issue and what they were able to do to help it. Are my bars still not high enough? I am finding now that the burning sensation happens even after a short ride.
Last thing. If someone could tell me how to insert pictures in a thread I would appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same kind of issue and what they were able to do to help it. Are my bars still not high enough? I am finding now that the burning sensation happens even after a short ride.
Thanks
I found the V-Strom to have bars too low and too far forward. I am 6' but with a 32" inseam so tall from the seat up. The bar risers help on my Wee strom, I had to put ATV bars on the Vee because of the Scott's steering dampner. Ideally I would raise the bar and bring it to the rear even more, but I am out of brake line slack. A set of bars that angled the handgrip area more rearward would be helpfull also. I don't really get the "burn" you describe anymore, but my elbows are too straight. I will say the bar setup I have now is about perfect for riding while standing on the pegs. At 6'6" you may have to go to longer brake lines and put a taller bar on with the risers to get it where you are comfortable.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another factor that can contribute to the shoulder problem is helmet weight. I rode with a Scorpion EXO700 for years on my previous DL650 and now my DL1000 (same Puig windscreens, etc.)... then about a year ago I started getting lots of pain in my neck and shoulders. I had an opportunity to step up to a Shoei X-11. The helmet is lighter in weight than the Scorpion and the pain went away in about 3-4 weeks.

You might consider asking Santa for a new helmet (especially now at the end of the season when there are so many great sales going on).

Steve

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wouldn't rush too much to alter things until you have owned the bike a bit longer. I suspect you are suffering from the effects of having ridden the bike for long periods but your body hasn't yet adjustered to it yet. You may also have been a bit tense at times due to the bike being new to you. May sound daft but wait and see...you will probably find you will feel more comfortable as time goes by without doing much else to the bike. It's a bit like a bike seat...some people jump on a new bike ride it for 150 miles and find the seat uncomfortable...yet within a couple of weeks your rear end adjusts to the new shape being imposed upon it and everything is fine. That why it's not usually a good idea to change the seat straight away either.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I wouldn't rush too much to alter things until you have owned the bike a bit longer. I suspect you are suffering from the effects of having ridden the bike for long periods but your body hasn't yet adjustered to it yet. You may also have been a bit tense at times due to the bike being new to you. May sound daft but wait and see...you will probably find you will feel more comfortable as time goes by without doing much else to the bike. It's a bit like a bike seat...some people jump on a new bike ride it for 150 miles and find the seat uncomfortable...yet within a couple of weeks your rear end adjusts to the new shape being imposed upon it and everything is fine. That why it's not usually a good idea to change the seat straight away either.
I agree with this. I suffered the same symptoms on one of my new bikes the first few long days I rode it. The symptoms gradually disappeared as my body adjusted.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I agree with this. I suffered the same symptoms on one of my new bikes the first few long days I rode it. The symptoms gradually disappeared as my body adjusted.
Very good point. The human body is surprisingly adaptable.

I've also found that many muscle aches and joint of this sort are caused by simple tension. Once you get used to riding a new bike and relax, you get a lot more comfy.

I've always told people to ride a couple thousand miles before changing stuff, and it's always worked for me.

But some things you know are wrong right away, like the hellish buffeting barn door of a windscreen that was on my Vee when I bought it.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Let me know if you find the answer. :headbang: 6'4" I have Sargent seat, Rick's peg lowering kit, 2" Rox risers, PHys. Ther. stretching and exercises, and still the burning pain. 25k miles with the bike. Saving up for extended cables and wires (already +2 brake lines) and an additional 1 inch Rox riser block. Sometimes I wonder if I will be able to keep riding. It's the only significant discomfort I have, but it really takes the fun out of it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
A couple of visits to my Chiropractor before my annual long summer trip does it for me. Didn't visit a Chiropractor until two years ago, but was apprehensive about leaving on a five day ride with a tight, painful upper back. (It is mostly from work stress) He fixed me up in two visits and I did not have to go back until the next summer before my annual trip.

A good massage therapist might also be able to loosen you up.

You might also want to consider lowering your footpegs or raising your seat height. It may not help, but it is on my list of things that will effect back problems.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another factor that can contribute to the shoulder problem is helmet weight.
You might consider asking Santa for a new helmet (especially now at the end of the season when there are so many great sales going on).

Steve
Yeah I thought maybe it was from the helmet as well, not the weight but the fact that the windscreen directs a stream of air at the forehead area of the helmet at highway speeds. This causes a constant push against the helmet which means I am using my neck to stop my head and helmet from being pushed back. I am not totally convinced that this is the whole problem because I still get the burn on shorter, around town rides.
As for a new helmet, I just got a new Arai, which I know is not the lightest one on the market, but damn its a nice helmet and fits like they built it around my head, so I won't be replacing it anytime soon.
I am getting a taller windscreen which should eliminate the wind push and eliminate that as a potential source of the problem.
I agree with the advice that I should ride longer to let my body get used to it as well. It's been about 14 years since I've had a bike so I figured I was out of riding shape as well.
I will post anything that I try that helps.
Thanks for the advice from everybody.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Funny, but I'm in the same boat. 6', usually ride more sporting bikes and my back is sore after an hr or so. New to me Wee. The initial ride was on a Corbin, big Givi screen, and a 1" riser. I ride with a fairly light OGK FF5 helmet. Then put on the stock seat. Slightly better. I'm gonna pull the risers and see what happens.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wife has a Wee and I found the same pain plus a hot pot on my forehead. I purchased a wee in July and it had the madstads on it. No more hot spot on forehead or pain in neck. Same helmet both bikes. I also agree about body adaptation. I had a bad car accident in high school and wore a neck brace for about 10 months, so I do shoulder shrugs with fifty Lb. weights to keep those muscles in shape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
UPDATE! FWIW, I removed the risers and pulled the bars slightly back and spent 5 hrs on the little wee and had no issues. Didn't change anything else. Good luck with your fit on the bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts