StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has started to wear a Leat brace on his road bike and swears by it. I quit wearing knee braces on the strom and only use them in the woods now. I figure if I wreck the strom, the knee brace will be marginally effective anyway.

But, I am seriously considering one of Leat's newer ADV/sport braces. It would be nice to have a place to rest my neck on and of course the safety issue as well.

So, anybody bother with one?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
A buddy of mine has started to wear a Leat brace on his road bike and swears by it. I quit wearing knee braces on the strom and only use them in the woods now. I figure if I wreck the strom, the knee brace will be marginally effective anyway.

But, I am seriously considering one of Leat's newer ADV/sport braces. It would be nice to have a place to rest my neck on and of course the safety issue as well.

So, anybody bother with one?
I went to the site, other than add some type of possible safety what does it do?

I wear a BackAline and it keeps my back from hurting on long trips, but this does nothing for comfort or fatigue right?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I think the Leatt GPX brace is made for the more upright riding position and their STX brace is shaped for sport bike position.

The Hit-Air air bag vest has an inflatable collar that does some of the same job.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I went to the site, other than add some type of possible safety what does it do?"

When I last wrecked I hit a car in the drivers door. The impact must have caused my mellon to move forward and down toward my chest. My neck hurt for weeks before it went away and my Doc said I was pretty lucky to be walking. Speed wise it wasn't a bad wreck.

Basically the brace is designed to keep your head from going to far in any direction, forward, sideways or to the rear by hitting the edge of your FF helmet as your head whips about and transferring the force of impact to your upper body. I can live with a limp or other assorted injury but am always concerned with braking my neck.

What I am after is somebody who has put some time in with one. My friend swears by it but I thought it was a little restrictive when I tried it. I was wearing my Scorpuion jacket and the brace sat a little too high. May have been adjusted wrong for me.

The airbag doesn't do its thing until you part company with the bike. Damage to your neck may have aleady occured.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts

When I think of how many times I dismount my Strom while still hooked into my electric vest's power cable - oops!........talk about turning into a parking lot beetle-grub!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RidersDiscount - I will be looking you guys up close to X mas. It is obvious from your info that the brace I was trying was the dirt version, it had no split in the rear.

I assume your brace is designed to be worn over a standard type textile jacket...with and/or without the winter liner?

Yeah Jokermtb...no telling how many times I have dismounted and forgot to dissconnect my heat wire. So many times I put red letters on a piece of tape near my key that says "heat". And I still forget.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Hit-Air says that it takes a 60 pound pull to activate the vest. The tether is long enough to stand on the pegs or to stand alongside the bike without a pull.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wore a Leatt GPX brace on the street for a couple of years. It's very easy to put on/take off, and on a bike with an upright riding position it doesn't hamper range of motion at all -- it just sort of disappears. The added safety provides great peace of mind.

I stopped wearing it when I installed a Sena SMH10 on my helmet. The Sena hangs down below the bottom edge of the helmet, and makes contact with the Leatt when trying to turn my head to the left. Yes, I know that foregoing neck protection to have a bluetooth headset may sound like I have my priorities out of order, but having handsfree nav guidance without having to look at my phone/GPS provides real benefit/safety. The new Leatt SLX looks like it may be lower profile than the GPX, so I plan to head over to my local Cycle Gear to try one on soon. I'd like to start riding with a Leatt again, and I hope that the SLX can work with the Sena.

There's a pic of me with the Leatt GPX (on my KLR) in this blog entry. At that time, I was using an Interphone headset which mounted higher so there was no interference issue. All in all I'd definitely recommend a Leatt to anyone looking for neck protection and peace of mind.

Ramblings and rants: Road Trippin'- Vegas Edition

·
Registered
64 Posts
Neck roll

I was in Chicago recently and ran into a gentleman from South Africa and we struck up a conversation about our bikes and gear. He said he used a neck role while on the road and the more substantal brace when off roading. Has anybody used a neck roll and what do you think of them if you have. I am all for the best protection I can get but never thought of using the roll on the road. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been wearing the Moto GPX (club) since late 2007. First with my Nolan N102 and now with my AFX FX-39. The entire time I've worn it over my Teknic jacket with full armor inside. I'm a (very) large guy and needed to get the XL (30mm) Spacing Pin Pack. The vast majority of my riding is just commuting.
With the Nolan helmet, the brace certainly limited my head motion. I could turn my head just far enough to check my blind spot but no further. I was also unable to look down very much. The euro style quick buckle on on the Nolan interacted with my brace and chin/neck fat and would leave me with pinches when I turned my head. I had to start wearing spandex balaclava's or "buffs" to prevent that.
This year I started wearing the FX-39 helmet and it works MUCH better with the brace. I can turn my head further to the sides and down and the quick buckle doesn't interfere with the brace.
I would love to get a STX model. It looks like it'll work around my back armor in my jacket and maybe sit a little lower or more comfortably.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts