StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on another forum I belong to but I figured that the "warning value" was too great not to post the gist of it here. Out of all the scenarios I’ve imagined having to take action to avoid; this one had never come to mind. Weirdest darned thing ……

After celebrating Easter with my youngest daughter, I decided that it was too nice out not to go for a nice ride. I had stopped for gas and pulled into the outside pump lane. I crossed the inner lane, paid the man and as I walked back across the inner lane, the electric hybrid car began driving off….without a sound…...he slammed on his brakes and stopped with his bumper actually touching the pant leg of my jeans just below my left knee! If he would have hit me, even at the slow speed he was going, it would have snapped my leg like a toothpick given that his electric motor generates practically full torque from 1 rpm! I looked at the driver, his hands held up in an apologetic manner. I knew it wasn’t his fault anymore then it was mine. We (I’m) so used to listening for cars that when the silent car was sitting there, I didn’t assume it held any risk. I nearly paid for that mistake.

As more and more electric/hybrid cars take to the streets, I could see this becoming a real problem, especially in parking lots when we have our children in tow walking into and out of the malls/stores. We have no way of knowing that they are going to move like we do with IC propelled cars. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some type of requirement in the next couple of years for bells and whistles indicating impending movement…once a few lawsuits are filed unfortunately.

I returned to my bike, filled it up and had a really nice ride as the country roads were empty. After a couple of hours I headed back towards home, stopping to join my sweetheart for a nice Easter dinner. While I certainly don’t think I was in any danger of losing my life, it still could have turned out much differently…..screwing up a perfect day!

Just a word of warning to all….be careful, with technology we get new dangers.

jeff

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've read that advocacy groups for the blind are already pushing for a solution. I read elsewhere that they are trying to come up with something to make some kind of sound.

Someday we'll see electric bikes commonly. Maybe they will come with cards in the spokes. Harley branded cards, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Safer to stay on the bike than walk:yikes:

Seriously, thanks for the reminder. We all get a bit complacent as the world changes around us. Perhaps the industry needs to build in some sound on those cars...like we did with playing cards on our bicycles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's it, they should ban electric/hybrid cars. They are too quiet. Someone will get killed. Think of all the children!:yikes:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
ATGATT baby! even when you're not riding :yikes: That means earplugs too so that you'll be more mindful of looking out for things you might not hear. Damned pedestrians anyway.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
My neighbor has a Prius. His hobby is to sneak up on me when I'm walking one of the dogs and say, "Hey Norm, what's up?"

Glad you and your tibia were able to enjoy Easter Sunday intact.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Glad you're not on crutches as you wrote this. I guess we all need to learn to make adjustments in our methods of threat detection. We animals have learned to make changes before I'm sure the species will survive this new predator...the Prius :yikes:

Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I worked at a full service carwash and have almost been hit by many hybrid/electric cars by fellow employees. i know what you are saying on how quiet they are. At least everything was OK and you had a good ride and easter.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, how screwy would that have been...to get hit by a prius? I'm not too keen on lying for any reason but if he'd have hit me, I would have HAD to seriously consider telling my sweetheart that I'd been run down by a new Camero or a new Hemi Challenger....I mean what self respecting man wants to admit he was hit by a pussycar? <LMAO>

(nothing against electrics but yes, if you drive one, you're one..don't want to be one, buy a Tesla)

jeff

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I read somewhere that this is a big problem in Japan where there a ton more full electrics as well as hybrids and more pedestrian and cycle traffic. One of the solutions was a speaker broadcasting a electric tone. I can't help but think the best solution is that bubbling sound that the fly cars from the Jetsons made.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, how screwy would that have been...to get hit by a prius? I'm not too keen on lying for any reason but if he'd have hit me, I would have HAD to seriously consider telling my sweetheart that I'd been run down by a new Camero or a new Hemi Challenger....I mean what self respecting man wants to admit he was hit by a pussycar? <LMAO>

(nothing against electrics but yes, if you drive one, you're one..don't want to be one, buy a Tesla)

jeff
Yeah, I saw this first hand at my work the other day. There are a few Priuses in the parking lot but I feel as if they make a little bit of an electric noise.
Another co-worker though, bought a Tesla a few weeks ago and I was looking it over before he took off one day. It is basically silent, with no sound at all. It was very freaky to watch as he got on it coming out of the parking lot. It was strange to see something accelerate that rapidly without making a sound.
It is a very interesting car. I'll have to get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I saw this first hand at my work the other day. There are a few Priuses in the parking lot but I feel as if they make a little bit of an electric noise.
Another co-worker though, bought a Tesla a few weeks ago and I was looking it over before he took off one day. It is basically silent, with no sound at all. It was very freaky to watch as he got on it coming out of the parking lot. It was strange to see something accelerate that rapidly without making a sound.
It is a very interesting car. I'll have to get some pictures up soon.

I investigated the Tesla 3 years ago and after writing to the factory was informed that if I wanted one, I should put my order in very soon as the price was about to increase from 93K to 98K...and the wait was being increased to 14 months. That pretty much ended my real interest as a 100K car is well out of my reach. I've heard of issues with motors catching fire and a few other things but man that is one sweet looking car. 0-60 in under 4 seconds? That's motorcycle territory.....

jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts