StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a beautiful day here yesterday so took the V-Strom out for a ride. I was on a two lane road when a truck pulling a bass boat was rounding a curve heading toward me. All of a sudden, the spare tire from the bass boat trailer came off and comes sliding toward me at probably 50+ mph. I was going around 50mph heading toward it. It looked like a huge hockey puck coming at me, sliding perfectly flat on the road. The tire never even bounced one time, just a perfect slide. Luckily, given the angle it was heading at me I gunned the V-Strom and missed it by a couple of feet. The guy pulling the trailer never even knew it came off. That would have been some way to go - wiped out by a boat trailer tire!

·
Registered
323 Posts
You are very lucky.
Some years ago a pickup trucks spare tire came out from under the truck.
Those things bounce in very unpredictable zip zags. Hit the car to my left shot to my lane.
Hit the driver side on my car bounced up and hit the roof and then the passages side and then smashed into the front of the car behind taking out the grill hood and windshield.

The pickup truck just keep going. No one was hurt but on a bike would have been ugly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Count your blessings! While a member of a beemer forum, I read of one member that was taken out by a wheel that came off a pickup. Broken lower leg took him out for the season. Seems like hazards come from all angles. One of my peaves is unsecured or poorly secured loads. See them leaving home centers and other places every day!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quick thinking/fast reaction!

Yeah, secure the load! A chunk of metal the size of a potato fell off the back of an oncoming semi, bounced once and just about came through my windshield. Scared me half to death. Would not have been pretty on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quick thinking/fast reaction!
Yeah, secure the load! A chunk of metal the size of a potato fell off the back of an oncoming semi, bounced once and just about came through my windshield. Scared me half to death. Would not have been pretty on a motorcycle.
Count your blessings! While a member of a beemer forum, I read of one member that was taken out by a wheel that came off a pickup. Broken lower leg took him out for the season. Seems like hazards come from all angles. One of my peaves is unsecured or poorly secured loads. See them leaving home centers and other places every day!
True, especially end of the month, "friend moving friends" :rolleyes: no rope or straps.... and this time of the year when DIY home improvement enthusiasts flock Home Depot's loading their sedans and SUV's with lumber...

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
484 Posts
I had to duck to miss a low-flying turkey once, a few years ago. Pretty sure it would’ve knocked me straight off the back of the bike, or else broken my neck, based on how low it was! Raised my heart rate for sure...

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I've seen this a few times. Glad you made it!

A lot of vehicles have a spare tire underneath now, secured by a steel cable and a little winch mechanism. All obviously dreamed up and designed by someone who has never once glanced underneath a car.

Anyway, it's very common for these stupid, doomed mechanisms to corrode solid. So unless you exercise and lubricate the winch a couple of times a year, you'll find yourself at some point with a flat and a spare you can't access. Annoying, but not particularly dangerous.

However, it's also very common for the steel cable in these stupid things to corrode and drop the spare along the road at some random time. Most of the time, the driver has no idea. So you can also find yourself with a flat and no spare at all, just a frayed, rusty cable end. And wondering what sort of carnage your departed spare might have caused.

Unsecured loads are a pet hatred of mine, too -- dump trucks are a special hazard. They all have load covers that can supposedly be actuated with a button, and we have laws on the books that loads must be covered and contained, but I don't know that I've ever seen a load cover in use around here, and there's certainly zero enforcement of a truck dropping rocks and dirt all over the highway. Not that the load covers actually do much good anyway, but an effort would be nice...

And yeah, the number of people who think you can secure a mattress with a few bits of twine, then head down the interstate at 80mph... I've also seen people with a mattress on top of the car with the window rolled down and an arm or two attempting to hang on to their bedding; it rarely ends will. Smashed furniture is a common sight along the roadsides.

Landscapers are a special hazard that's ALWAYS best avoided. Clapped-out trucks and trailers, nothing secured at all, bald and missing tires, improperly loaded... I was once heading to work on a busy interstate on my Vee when there was a rather large disturbance from a landscaping trailer that had a large load of mulch loaded behind the axle, with assorted equipment and tools just tossed on top here and there. The trailer started oscillating violently as soon as they hit about 40mph, and mowers, weed whackers, mulch, shovels, ladders, etc. were scattering all over five lanes during rush hour. There were also a couple of workers sitting on the pile of mulch in the bed of the overloaded truck hanging on for dear life when the tail started wagging the dog. I had fortunately spotted the disaster in the making as they were on the entrance ramp, and was already far to the left and accelerating past the idiots when the inevitable began. A few seconds difference could have been deadly.

And then there was the time on a dark highway when I dodged a ladder that was only visible from the occasional sparks it was throwing off as it slid along the pavement in my lane... that was fun.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's how the spare is stored on my Tacoma. For anything that can be damaged by rust and/or lack of lubrication, I heartily recommend Fluid Film. You can get it by the gallon, or in the spray can. Did my whole truck when I got it, including the winch/cable mechanism. It's easy and very effective. Smells a bit odd (it's made from sheep/lanolin) but not unpleasant.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
If you ride often enough, for long enough you will encounter all manner of weird shit coming at you on the road. I have stories too. Surviving the near miss makes us more careful and knowledgeable of the so many ways thing can go wrong. it's a wonder we keep on keeping on. :^)

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
502 Posts
Humans are funny. If you take all the possible risk out, life gets pretty dull and pretty fast. I am reminded of the quote from Winston Churchill, "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is amazing how many things us riders take note of while riding. Road conditions, threats coming from all points, the vehicle makes and models of drivers that present those hazards, etc. I often question my wife about my observances while in the passenger seat of her auto. Perhaps it's me, but I am glad after many years of encouragement, she gave up on riding. Now as long as I don't encounter her while I'm piloting the Storm and she's in her cage........

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
We motorcyclists can also smell everything... I'd like to smell less maijuana coming from cars around here.

Partake of the devil's lettuce if you must, but not while driving, you idiots.

And no, it's nowhere near legal for anyone in Indiana. But there are an astonishing percentage of people driving around smoking the stuff.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
That's how the spare is stored on my Tacoma. For anything that can be damaged by rust and/or lack of lubrication, I heartily recommend Fluid Film. You can get it by the gallon, or in the spray can. Did my whole truck when I got it, including the winch/cable mechanism. It's easy and very effective. Smells a bit odd (it's made from sheep/lanolin) but not unpleasant.
NAPA Chain and Cable Lube works great as well. The nozzle shoots out a 3-4 ft stream. Works well on motorcycle chains as well.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for anyone holding their hand up to their ear. Cell phone ALERT. Stay far away :cool:
"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), driving a vehicle while texting is six times more dangerous than intoxicated driving. The Transport Research Laboratory found that writing a text message slows driver reactions by 35 percent, while drinking alcohol up to the legal limit slows reactions by 12 percent. Another study stated that texting drivers react 23 percent slower than intoxicated drivers do. "

That's six hundred percent more dangerous than drunk driving.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Agree, and look at how many people have their heads looking down at their laps in a line of traffic or at traffic signals texting.....
that's true, younger generations are totally hooked on smartphones,.... looking back I don't remember any technology becoming so addictive, it's beyond normal, humans will probably develop degenerative deformations of neck and wrists :rolleyes: ...and for sure everybody will be wearing "eye corrective aid" in 20-50yr time

families and friends at restaurants, all looking down with glow reflection on their faces, how sad is that :(

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
My fave is an entire pickup bed liner lifting off the truck ahead and summersaulting up and over top of me. Straight ahead full throttle seemed to be the best route in that case. That sucker hung in the air for what must have been 10 seconds. That and a dozen or so 10-foot lengths of pvc pipe falling out the back of a pickup and scattering all across the highway. Glad I wasn't following him closely--would've been like riding on marbles that want to pitch up and lance you through the face. Loads of batt insulation can be entertaining too, but they're soft. Saw a truck a few weeks back that ran up on a lost load of insulation. He was standing there scratching his head trying to figure out how to get his wheels back on the ground. I've found that if I mount my hockey bag all askew on the back of the bike, people don't follow me so closely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts