Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode down your neck of the woods 2 years ago but was very pressed for time. As I recall we did Skyline - Blue Ridge Pkwy and made our way to Deal's Gap then went home (Ontario, Canada) via Ohio. Beautiful country - I was a bit disappointed by two things:
(1) What in the f*##k is a "dry county" and why would anyone allow that to happen? and
(2) I got the impression that while Deal's Gap gets all the press, there are much better roads in the area. Any thoughts - "must see roads", etc. We aren't afraid of dirt/gravel/etc so anything you can suggest would be great - we plan to spend 3-4 days down there this time so I'd love to hear your suggestions. As well, any thoughts for the ideal town or hotel/motel to use as a base?

Doc

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
A "dry" county is one where you have a pretty good chance of scoring some moonshine.

When do you plan on being here?

I can sketch out some routes in a few days, really busy right now.

I'd definitely recommend the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
On the way south.

I think you would prefer secondary roads instead of Interstate Highways.

If that is so, consider this route. We start at the Peace Bridge, where
I have arranged that eastbound Suzuki motorcycles pay no toll!!!

Get onto I-90, and follow it past the big right turn toward Erie PA. Get off at Exit 57 and follow NY-75 southbound, which connects with US-62 southbound after about 3 kilometers. This US-62 is a favorite of mine, and I have used it a lot.

Your last chance for Tim Hortons is in Gowanda NY. US-62 goes through Amish country, and you may encounter horse-drawn carriages. I choose to pull in the clutch and run almost silently past horses, because I do not want the horse to be startled (or perhaps spot a chance at freedom) and climb onto the motorcycle. Suit yourself on that issue.

US-62 enters Pennsylvania, and follows the Allegheny River for a while.
The scenery is very pleasant, and the road surface is pretty good.

Here is a "long cut" you can take if you want: at Tidioute PA, get onto PA-127, which wiggles and eventually returns you to US-62 after almost ten kilometers.

Here is a short cut: When you can make a left turn onto PA-965, do it,
and you will shorten the journey by about six kilometers.
This road also returns you to US-62, just before you reach I-79.

I take I-79 south to Sutton WV, then US-19 south to Beckley WV (observe the 50 MPH limit in $ummer$ville), then I-77 south to I-81, where I turn WEST and follow I-81 SOUTHbound for two miles to Exit 70, and there I pick up US-21 in the town of Wytheville Virginia.

Let me tell you, this US-21 is a treat! It wiggles its way up a mountain and down the other side, and it is a joy to ride. It shows you all sorts of farms, rural villages, and pleasant hillsides. After a couple of hours, it brings you back to I-77 southbound, near Jonesville North Carolina.

At that point, you can decide to make time on I-77 or continue on US-21 to Statesville NC, where you face the same decision. If you stay on US-21, it will keep bringing you back to I-77 until finally it merges with I-77, 33 miles from South Carolina.

I know some more wiggles in and south of South Carolina,
but you didn't express interest in those states.

I hope you enjoy your ride.

Keith

P.S. All tolls are free for cars and bikes crossing
the Peace Bridge into USA. I bet you knew that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Wow great responses - thanks.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the "dry" thing - definitely ruined my trip last time I was there!!

Love the ideas and would welcome any and all route ideas - I see a thread on a gravel road in this same forum - Tula Gap or something like that - that really looks interesting.

I'll keep watching this guys - thanks.

Anyone ever coming my way just give a holler - lots of nice roads up here too, although the scenery is not quite the same.

Doc

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Alternately, you can stay in Asheville.

It's anything but dry, with 10 local craft breweries and many accomdations a short cab ride from the downtown collection of brewpubs and fine dining.

From Asheville pick a direction and you'll find roads to thrill and entertain you all day.

I can suggest some routes and destinations if you decide to stay there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Asheville

As i recall we ended up in Robbinsville last time at the end of a very long day - could not believe there was not a beer to be had anywhere - at least not for me. Made quite a stink (what a jerk!!) but no one offered any moonshine! At any rate Asheville sounds great. I'm really looking forward to this - probably late summer the way things are shaping up at work.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
At any rate Asheville sounds great. I'm really looking forward to this - probably late summer the way things are shaping up at work.
Drop me a line a week or two before you head out.
If I'm not too busy, I might be able to give you a little tour.

BTW,

The Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is building a new facility in a place where current law does not allow its sale. Go figure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice offer

Drop me a line a week or two before you head out.
If I'm not too busy, I might be able to give you a little tour.

BTW,

The Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is building a new facility in a place where current law does not allow its sale. Go figure.
I guarantee we will call you - very kind of you. We expect now to be in your area sometime around the 3rd or 4th of September. I'll give you a head's up a few weeks ahead of that. Even to meet for a beer and get some ideas would be great! :thumbup:

Love the Zappa reference!

Doc

·
Registered
108 Posts
Believe it or not, The Jack Daniels Distillery is located in a dry county. The brewmaster has a driver who takes him to the county line where he can taste the product for quality control. These dry countys have been dry since prohibition. After the 18th amendment was repealed, these countys decided they would remain "alcohol free". Yeah, I know, it's a big joke. But if the people vote that way, that's the way it is. I guess they like their drunks having to drive an extra 20 or 30 miles to get another 12 pack. Remember, Mayberry was in a dry county but Otis had no problem finding his drink of choice. I have people in my family who believe that if your lips so much as touch the rim of a beer can you'll immediately die and go straight to hell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts