StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local inmates - question for ye.

I've just agreed to buy an ADVrider inmate's DL650. He's located in VA, and I'm in NC. I know some states issue temporary tags you can use to drive home with. I've read that NC does not.

I've also read that VA allows current owners to print out a "Transit Permit" (https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/dmvnet/trip_permit/intro.asp) for the trip. But the page is confusing in that it doesn't directly address purchasing a vehicle in VA and registering out of state.

I'm going to call both the NC and VA DMVs tomorrow to try to get a solution. I'll also insure the thing, so at least that'll be covered.

I'd love to hear if anyone has had experience with this lovely little bureaucratic SNAFU.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was faced with the same problem a couple weeks ago... and opted to borrow a friends trailer to get my bike from Chapan, SC to Elizabeth City, NC. I couldn't get my NC tags till I went to DMV w/ the title and proof of insurance... oh, and about 120 bucs... That was the path of least resistance for me... Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went the less legal way on my last bike purchase. I insured it and just put my plate from another bike on it and rode it home.....carefully......

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I live only 19 miles from Tennessee in Kentucky. Just purchased a car in TN a couple of months ago. The dealership put KY temp tags on it and then sent me the title so I could register in fully in KY. It appears to me that KY and TN have some sort of agreement so this can be done. I wouldn't be surprised if VA and NC have some sort of similar agreement. Check with the NC DMV. It might be easier to do than you think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts