StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I researched a nav for my bike in the Spring and was overwhelmed by the options. Ideally, I would like a nav that will allow me to use my MAC to set a pre-determined route, download that to the unit and then use the unit on my bike. I would also prefer that the unit have a plug-in option for the bike (not just battery powered). I am also looking to stay under $300.

I was looking at something like the Lowrance unit, or the Magellan Triton, or Magellan Exporist, but it doesn't look as though any of them support MAC.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Garmin has been Tiger and up compatible for almost 5 years now.

View the software at Garmin | Mac OS Software and Garmin Devices . That may at least help you make an informed decision about Garmin.

MacGPS Pro Mac OS X Navigation Software - Home is third party software you may be interested in. Snow Leopard compatible and has the most promise to do what you're asking. A list of compatible devices in at the site to reference. Looks like it's been about a year since the last update.

You may also want to check out Free GPS Software for Mac, Linux, Unix which has a list of freeware Mac gps software.

I wish I could do better than that, but since I don't own a GPS yet, google is the only help I can give you.

BTW, some of those GPS units out there nowadays have a battery that will outlast your butt. And there's a way for ANY rechargeable GPS unit (are any not rechargeable) to get power from your bike.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
One of the reason i too use Garmin units. However you can do a dual boot with Windows ( Intel mac's only) or use some of the Virtualization software such as Parallels , VMWare Fusion. I am using Streets & Trips 2010 most of the time for mapping as it downloads directly to my Unit

1 - 3 of 3 Posts