StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get serious about finding some sort of navigation system for the bike. I have a Navigation system in my wifes vehicle and I am addicted to it. Especially since we just moved to a new city/state I would love to have the confidence to go out and explore.

I would love to get the Zumo with the XM/traffic etc, but can't afford it. So... headed back in time, what are some units that work well on the bike. Don't need music or audible prompts, just a reliable, easy to read and hopefully update-able map.

What is water proof, what has good cases/mounts made for it. What did you have before the latest greatest that you have now... Any/all input is appreciated.

Eric

·
Registered
22,188 Posts
the Garmin 276c is my choice, marine designed unit, waterproof, best screen on market for bright sun, easy to read, displays large characters, fast processor

available for as low as $400 for a reconditioned unit with same warrany as new or new for a little under $500

there are the disadvantages, only comes loaded with NA basemap, not Streets & Cities, you need to add memory to load additional maps and it takes the more expensive Garmin proprietary memory

I looked closely at the Zumo 450

advantages waterproof, comes loaded with Cities & Strees Navagator for NA, takes less expensive SD memory cards, left hand glove friendly control buttons

disadvantages.. not so good screen, slower processor

I've seen the Zumo for around $550

Garmin 378 & 478 are the same as 276c but have weather, traffic & other xm options

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Some great deals on refurb Garmin 2730. Waterproof, good screen, XM/Traffic/Weather. I have one. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said the 2730 is waterproof, but I don't see them advertising that anywhere. Where can I read it so I feel better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am lost in the search....

What is wrong w/ using a unit like the magellan maestro 4400 on a bike?
Nothing. Use what you want. While it would be nice to have a waterproof motorcycle specific system. I don't see it as a necessity. You can usually tell when it's going to rain and can remove the device.

Personally I want a wide screen device with nice graphics. Right now I'm drooling over the iGO 8 system (which is not available yet). http://www.navngo.com/en/cebit/index.php

·
Registered
482 Posts
You said the 2730 is waterproof, but I don't see them advertising that anywhere. Where can I read it so I feel better.
Since that model is discontinued the page for it is gone on the Garmin web site but the manual is still there.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/StreetPilot2730_OwnersManual.pdf

Go to the technical specifications and you will see it is "IPX-7 waterproof" what ever that means. I have never heard of anyone having an issue in the rain with the 2730.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts