StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone interested in riding the Natchez Trace? I want to take a couple days to ride it and look for nice places to stop for meals and to camp or lodge in a cabin, with the idea of planning a group ride in the future. Weather permitting, I may do it on Saturday the 18th and Sunday the 19th. I don't have a "Plan B" date yet. So if you are interested, I could be flexible.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/maps.htm

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
That is a beautiful road and your plan sounds fun!
I rode a portion of it a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised at how little traffic it had. I plan to ride it again this Spring but it will most likely be during the week, and probably two up.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I have done it twice from Jackson heading North. My mom lives in Panama City, FL and I take it home sometimes. It is pretty tame compared to the Blue Ridge but it is a pretty ride. Try some of the old sections of the Trace that are still gravel. You will see it as you ride. Two warnings, the Rangers are serious about the speed limit and the place is infested with deer at sun-up and sundown. I remember some nice lakes along the way. One long day or 2 easy days.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done it twice from Jackson heading North. My mom lives in Panama City, FL and I take it home sometimes. It is pretty tame compared to the Blue Ridge but it is a pretty ride. Try some of the old sections of the Trace that are still gravel. You will see it as you ride. Two warnings, the Rangers are serious about the speed limit and the place is infested with deer at sun-up and sundown. I remember some nice lakes along the way. One long day or 2 easy days.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm all about unpaved travel. With a speedometer that is 7mph off, I'll try to make sure I don't contribute to the revenue via a speeding ticket. I'll watch out for the fauna too.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a beautiful road and your plan sounds fun!
I rode a portion of it a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised at how little traffic it had. I plan to ride it again this Spring but it will most likely be during the week, and probably two up.
If you drop me a line when you get out this way, I could swing over and ride part of it with you and do lunch. I'm a couple hours east of there. The wife and I are still deciding on the cache ride in Utah. I still work so it is a big time commitment.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you drop me a line when you get out this way, I could swing over and ride part of it with you and do lunch. I'm a couple hours east of there. The wife and I are still deciding on the cache ride in Utah. I still work so it is a big time commitment.
That sounds good. We'll be riding to Panama City, Florida the last three weeks of May - two up one way and solo the other and likely on a cruiser unless I can talk her into taking the Strom.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Friday 2/17 Huntsville to Fall Hollow TN

Hsv to Fall Hollow TN
2:38pm to 6:30pm
141.3 Mi
Started after school. Right pannier 35.4 lbs; Left (large) pannier 34.0 lbs; Top Case 23.4 lbs. Rider 208. Pillion 98.2. Total Loadout 399.0.

Took back roads in no particular hurry to the Trace. Hwy 53 to Hwy 31 to Carter's Crossing to Hwy 840 then followed signs to NT parkway at MP422?. Headed south, expecting to hit NP campground at mp 380. Saw lots of deer along NT pkwy. One ran across in front of me. Saw a skunk too. Light traffic. Hwy 412 & NT pkwy. Pkwy closed here, so we stopped for dinner and to camp at Fall Hollow Campground. Couple retired from Milwaukee opened this campground and restaurant in 2009. Hot showers and clean bathrooms. Lots of coyotes yipping at night. Rained early in the AM. 73 in the afternoon, 40s over night. Breaking camp at 10 after Hot Chocolate and Graham Crackers for bkfst.

$23.40 for dinner
$20- for tent site.
Marathon 90 no ethanol
$8.50
2.932 gal
54.0 mpg indicated

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pillion and Future Adv Rider

Pillion and Future Adv Rider

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like a great ride. We love the Trace; plenty of places to stop along the way or just cruise for hours...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts