StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 DL650 which has an unlabeled, aftermarket handlebar, which is about 30 inches wide. My other bikes are of the Sport Touring type and their handle bars are about 25 inches wide. I like the more narrow width.
Can anyone advise me about a VStrom handle bar which is olny about 25 inches wide?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not any problem 'fitting all of the controls'. They do it just fine on all of the Sport and Sport Touring bikes. The only problem, with the type that I currently have would be with the 'reinforcing bar' that is across the middle of the bar.
What I would need ....probably would not have the 'extra' bar across the middle

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts
The OEM bars are just under 30" wide and I have fitted 32' Pro Taper ATV mid bars which give me more leverage (and have saved me once or twice) on loose or rutted dirt roads. Where will you be riding? Once on my GSXR I followed a mate on a longish trip on a tight winding sealed road with pace on and I couldn't keep up - he was riding his BMW GS.
I think that you will be disappointed, but hey, life is a learning thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only ride on the road...not on trails/dirt. I understand how wide bars are good on trails/dirt but I prefer the more narrow bar for road riding. The Sport and Sport Touring bikes have the more narrow bars...which I am more used to and find more comfortable.
Thanks for your response. If I work something out, I will post it here.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
I owned a Concours 14 for 4 years, that has clip on bars as do most "true" sport touring machines. So I think what you are looking for is not going to work out real well for you, and I still contest that the Strom controls will likely not fit well on a narrower bar. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not trying to argue with you...I just do not understand your saying that 'the controls will not fit' On the FJR the controls from the outside edge of the grip to the inside edge of the hardware is about 9 inches. On the VStrom it is only about 8 inches. If a handle bar has at least 8 inches of 'control area'...I do not see the problem

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
I am not trying to argue with you...I just do not understand your saying that 'the controls will not fit' On the FJR the controls from the outside edge of the grip to the inside edge of the hardware is about 9 inches. On the VStrom it is only about 8 inches. If a handle bar has at least 8 inches of 'control area'...I do not see the problem

Well for one thing the mirrors on the FJR and the C14 are fairing mounted, not on the bars, so that adds even more to the taking up of the width. You also have controls that utilize hand guards on the Stroms as well, once again that takes up additional room. The list of all bars given in the link I gave speaks pretty clearly on what the majority of bar dimensions are.......I wish you the best of luck in finding what works well for you, please report back your findings to share with the collective. I don't know much about these bikes, only been on this forum and owned 2 of them since 2005. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You did not actually address my question. The VStrom grips and hardware require 8 inches. If a bar has 8 inches I do not see the problem.
btw: I owned an original 2002 DL100 from 02-12...took a couple of years off and then bought the DL650 last year, so....I guess that makes two of us that do not really know much about these bikes

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Like I said.....I wish you the best of luck, and report back if you find a viable solution. The majority want sturdier with less flex and sweep, taller, and wider dirtbike style bars for these bikes. You may try considering the daytona or superbike bars from Bikemaster.

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts
You did not actually address my question. The VStrom grips and hardware require 8 inches. If a bar has 8 inches I do not see the problem.
btw: I owned an original 2002 DL100 from 02-12...took a couple of years off and then bought the DL650 last year, so....I guess that makes two of us that do not really know much about these bikes
You just need to go to a bike shop that has a good selection of handle bars, or EBay, and have a good look. They are 7/8ths diameter bars which is pretty much standard on most bikes. My concern really is the rake and trail difference between a sports bike and an all roads tourer and the fact that if you do this you will need to be a weightlifter to make a quick change of direction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Narrow Handlebar Question

I too like narrower bars and usually cut any bar I get to the most narrow width
that will work with the controls. There are many options out there- check
Motorcycle Superstore to get an idea of what you want for material, diameter
(Fat Bar or 7/8") and style. The center width should be around 4 1/2" which
allows the controls area to be longer- cut to taste. Fear not, it has been done!
Good luck. P.S. - I plan to trim the stocker on my '14 but will use mirror
extenders to make up for what I remove. If this doesn't fly I will be looking as
well!:punk:

·
Registered
578 Posts
You just need to go to a bike shop that has a good selection of handle bars, or EBay, and have a good look. They are 7/8ths diameter bars which is pretty much standard on most bikes. My concern really is the rake and trail difference between a sports bike and an all roads tourer and the fact that if you do this you will need to be a weightlifter to make a quick change of direction.
IMO a shorter bar will not make it harder to turn the Vstrom.

The Vstrom frame/fork orientation responds to counter steering very very well.

If you are not getting quick changes of direction you are not counter steering correctly.

I have tried a small bar on the vstrom 23in. Bike is still very responsive. It's one of the best things on the vstrom. The stock bars on the other hand are IMO utter crap. They are twangy, mushy bars with way to much sweep. Really bad to the hands too. The grip size also seems to be made for 12 year old ballet dancers.

Almost any bar is an improvement.

I use a Flexx bar with elastomer shock absorbers. The bar has loads of up down flex for absorbing rough ashalt and off road use. But at the same time they are very precise for steering. The flex when modified by putting on green elastomers even makes the bar "follow you" when you shift your weight a lot.

I have found that the flex bar on a vstrom is a real game changer. Off road/dirt road it's a day and night difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
earlier...somebody said that using short bars would make it really hard because of the vast difference between the VStrom and the Sport Touring kind of bikes...so I looked it up.
rake / trail
FJR 26 d / 4.3 in
DL650 26.5 d / 4.3 in

So..the trail is EXACTLY the same and the rake is 1/2 degree different....
I do not think that will be too much to overcome
I have moved the controls in about 1 inch on each side on my non-stock bars and I am using DIY mirror extenders. It is now about 21 inches 'inside' measurement on the VStrom compared with about 19 inches on the FJR/ST1300.
The feel of the bike is really improved, but I would like to get the last 2 inchs.
I will look into the bars at the Motor Cycle Superstore and also....
I would like to know more about the Flexx bars. I am not acquainted with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts