StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any pics of a nekid strom? The more work I do on the bike the more annoying I find all the body work. I've been wondering what the wee would look like sans plastic and fairing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Semi-Thin Strom

This is my latest modification. All I did was remove the bulbous tank side panels. Now I have EASY access to the radiator, lights, cables, shocks and all the other "junk" in front of the tank.

The modification did not change the aerodynamics in relation to my "bubble of tranquility" behind the shield.

Anyone want to buy 2 virgin tank side panels ??

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab246/val48val48/GoldenV-Strom.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Naked Strom

I've been working on personalizing my bike and I've removed most of the extra plastic of which you speak. I've also removed some plastic that many would not have considered because of the required cutting. Yup, I used tin snips and cut the ears off the fairing between the blinkers and the fuel tank.

I'm not done yet. These were my first attempts at reducing the fairing. I tried to ride without the windscreen but verified how much protection the tiny windscreen provides. I know that there are many here that argue that the windscreen doesn't work very well. I wanted to try going without, completely, and discovered that I wouldn't want to go without that little bit of protection on this bike that is so very well suited for the freeway/highway speeds.

I intend to clean up by cuts to the fairing and trim a little bit more and make the lines more complementary. I want to remove the stock blinkers/turn signals and modify my cuts and clean the edges of the cuts to make them less look butchered and more finished. I'm still searching for replacement blinkers and have considered mounting them to the metal fairing bracket. I have also considered the smallish surface mount signals but those would required keeping some of the fairing surface that I want to loose. I've looked at some of the signals that are mounted on the backs of the mirrors, but rejected those because of the wiring requirements and the potential for problems if I crash while off-road. I intend to visit the local bone yard to look for some signals from another bike that could be mounted to the mount point already present on the fairing bracket. Using that location would make new signals easy to plug into the existing wiring harness.

I've also considered cutting/removing the excess bolt points that were for mounting the side plates. I don't have the tools that Black Lab has and have never worked in bondo or body filler so I'm not planning that right now. Besides, I kinda like the utility look of them.

My wife asked me why I cut my new 2011 bike up? Because I can? Just wanted to make it something that now one else has.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
My wife asked me why I cut my new 2011 bike up? Because I can? Just wanted to make it something that now one else has.
I don't normally take the wife's side but maybe she has a point. Anyway, too late to stop now.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yup, it's crazy, I know. But, hey, that's me. Y'all ain't gonna hurt my feelings, so feel free to throw your opinion in here. I don't see it as siding with my wife, or agreeing with me. I just like to change things up and I'm really likin' how this modification is progressing. I have plans to tidy up the over finish with a dremmel like tool once I get the final cuts completed. I wanted to proceed in steps because of how the gauges are mounted inside the fairing.

Actually, I was considering completely loosing the fairing and adopting the fork mounted assemble with an abbreviated fairing, but that costs money that I don't have to spend right now, so...destruction is cheap, construction costs. I'm working on cheap right now, and it's still rideable.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Why not just get an SV? Other than have slightly more top end, it seems like that is your streetfighter Strom... except for maybe lowering the pegs, and adjusting the handlebars?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Why not just get an SV? Other than have slightly more top end, it seems like that is your streetfighter Strom... except for maybe lowering the pegs, and adjusting the handlebars?
I wanted the aftermarket parts availability, the seat height (I raised the rear about an inch and added the Vee seat plus the bead rider), the engine history/reliability, and the off-road capabilities (limited as it is). After reading for almost a year, the Wee seemed to fit the bill, and still does, for the most part. What I'm working on isn't for everyone, or for most people, but I just wanted a leaner Wee. I know that I'm not going to be able to remove enought plastic to have any noticable weight reduction, so it's very clear to me that what I'm working on is purely cosmetic. I'm 6'2" and won't fit on most streetfighter configurations and my 55 year old body rebels when I cramp it into too small a space. My firsts consideration when looking at any bike is seat height....

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
This is mine while in tiger livery last year. I cut the fairing mounting tabs off the tank and filled in with epoxy, and used the mounting holes at the bottom of the tank as convenient attachment points for driving lights. I'd like to do something to restore at least some of the "chin" to the bike, but as yet haven't figured out how to cut the plastic to fit and look halfway good.

This is just an unfounded theory, but I think the bike may be more stable without the bulbous side panels which may introduce a "sail" effect under and around the tank. Also the fact that more air can enter the cockpit from under the cowl may reduce turbulence for the rider.

In any case, I like the thin look.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'd seen your tiger stripes before and love them. I didn't notice your driving lights idea and I'll be copyin' on you for that one! Did you black out your heat shield? That's another idea that caught my eye when I looked again. Hum....I'm not sure what you mean by restoring the chin, except that maybe you looking for a way to close the bottom of the light shrowd. I think there is more air coming under the fairing now and it hits me in the stomach, but I don't give a rip about turbulence. Afterall, it's a motorcycle, so I don't care. I choose to retain the windscreen, for now, to keep that constant pressure off my chest.

Who knows? Maybe later I'll loose the entire fairing in favor of a fork mounted twin headlight assembly and mini dash/fairing area like others have posted.

Love those tiger strips though!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Yeah, I painted the muffle cover to match the other black parts. The bike is currently lime green, and I'll post a pic some time.

I'm still debating, though, whether to paint the cowl and front fender. The painted ones I have seen look pretty good, and I assume the only reason that Mother Suzuki made the OEM pieces in any color you want as long as it's black (in the best tradition of Henry Ford) is to keep production price down.

A question for those who have painted these plastic pieces: how did you prep and prime, and what kind of primer did you use? I know there is a plastic specific Krylon, but I'd much rather use Rustoleum which goes on better and can be buffed to a fare-thee-well pretty easily, and it would probably have to go on over a primer coat to stick well.

One thing I'm definitely going to do next time I change tires is bead-blast, paint or powder-coat the rims. Those rims remind of the black high-top cleats we wore for HS football back in the day. They made everybody look SLOW.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey, easy now, I gave three years of my youth to a torn miniscus to those high tops.

Seriously, though, I'd not thought about painting anything since I love the white so well, except the inside of my windscreen, which I would paint white as an accent to the black/white theme of my bike.

I doubt that the Krylon white would match the Suzuki white, so I'm in the same boat as you, figuring how to paint the plastic windscreen.

Love you see your green job, when you get around to capturing some images.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well. I had all of the body work off last week for maintenance, and kind of liked the way the bike looked and the smooth airflow. But I was worried about re-routing/mounting turn signals, etc. So, I was going to put everything back on tonight, but on the way to work this morning, some distracted t**t ran a red light as I was turning left, and I low sided to avoid getting t-boned. Now the left turn signal's busted anyway, along with my cheepo stock handguard, and my crashbars have a nice deep asphalt groove. So, why not give the street-fighter look a full go? I think I'll avoid any cutting for now--just in case I decide I'd rather have the bike stock.

I like the tiger bike!

Justin

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Alright all you cheapskates! Here's my latest greatest idea in a long line of great ideas. Instead of cutting your windshield down to make it shorter, drill some new holes in the screen and lower it down. It's cheaper, easier, faster, and best of all...it's undoable. You can still raise that bad boy all the way back up in the winter to provide more protection.

It'll ride very low while still providing some protection. The front hole covers won't reach all the way to the bottom, and I had to wallow out the upper holes to make them fit for the front covers, but it's still a reversible mod that only costs time.

I looked around at the price of sport screens and was shocked. Plus, I don't know if'n I'll like it. This way, I'm not committed to the change. I may still be committed for drillin' and cuttin' on my bike, but hey, it's mine and I can do what I want...theep!

·
Registered
197 Posts

I did the same cutting as you but I did not like the look of the "raw" cuts. So I went to Lowe's and bought the smallest diameter black tubing (about 1/8 inch OD).

I then measured the length of the raw cut and made a section of tubing that length. I sliced the tubing on one side the full length. At the corners I cut a "V" into the tube so that it would fit snugly around the corners of the cut.

Finally, I smeared some rubber glue on the raw cut and fitted the sliced tubing over it. Now it looks like OEM edging.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Oh, I like that idea. I was going to do some more cutting to clean up the lines a bit this weekend, but I ran out of time. I'll be heading over to Lowe's to get some of that edging stuff. I know exactly what you mean. I used to work at a boat building place and we put it on the edge of the fiber glass cut outs. Great idea! Thanx

1 - 20 of 28 Posts