StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can one procure one of the female terminals that go in the large connector on the left side of the front fairing. On my bike the female connector for the blue to white wire gets hot and makes intermittant connections. Also how does one remove the terminal from the connector without additional damage? Thanks Curt

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The white wire connects to a black wire with a blue stripe. It is the hot wire for the headlight low beam. Replacing it isn't really the best solution. 050 Connectors shows some connectors. If you look down the barrel of the connector, you may be able to see a small tab that sticks out against the plastic to keep the connector from backing out of the hole.

The removal tool is basically a tube with an I.D. about the same size as the hole. It is slipped over the connector and it depresses the tab so the wire can be pulled out from the rear. You may be able to depress the tab with a jeweler's screwdriver to free the connector or you may find the proper tool at an electronics store like Radio Shack. The tool may compress the barrel enough for it to make better contact.

The final solution though is to fit headlight relays so the little connectors and contacts only carry enough current to throw the relays and they stop getting overtaxed, heating and losing contact. Suzuki VStrom Electrics is a complete kit for adding headlight relays.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
main connector

Thanks Pat. The problem with mine isnt the low beam lights. On a egular basis the entire dash panel goes dead and when I manipulate the wires on the female end it comes back to life. I figured that since the white to blue w black wire connection was discolored inside of the connector that it was the guilty party. When the panel dies the turnsignal indicators and the neutral indicator still works. Since the headlights dont die apparently the connector that I thought was bad isnt the guilty party.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Thanks Pat. The problem with mine isnt the low beam lights. On a egular basis the entire dash panel goes dead and when I manipulate the wires on the female end it comes back to life. I figured that since the white to blue w black wire connection was discolored inside of the connector that it was the guilty party. When the panel dies the turnsignal indicators and the neutral indicator still works. Since the headlights dont die apparently the connector that I thought was bad isnt the guilty party.
The usual culprit there the the black/white ground wire. It's still the headlights that cause the connector problems, whether hot or ground.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
The removal tool is basically a tube with an I.D. about the same size as the hole. It is slipped over the connector and it depresses the tab so the wire can be pulled out from the rear. You may be able to depress the tab with a jeweler's screwdriver to free the connector or you may find the proper tool at an electronics store like Radio Shack. The tool may compress the barrel enough for it to make better contact.
I used to have to remove those connector pins on a regular basis and I made a tool out of a piece cut from a metal ball point pen refill. The walls of the plastic ones are too thick but I ran across a metal one that worked fine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
main connector

Tht makes sense, Pat. The original wire that you mentioned was quite warm when I had the Ignition on, but I couldnt make the dash shut down. Ill try the other wires tomorrow. I guess its time to order the relay kit The lights have destroyed 2 starter switches and a connector under the tank in the past 59000 miles. I should have taken your advice a long time ago. Thanks.
Curt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts