StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the SW Motech center stand and took the opportunity to inspect the rear tire. I found a roofing nail in the middle and did a fix with a Stop n Go tire repair (the mushroom shaped plugs). Holding air just fine. Do I need to get this permanently repaired now as the instructions suggest? On the car I just call it a day but being a two-wheeler makes me nervous. I know this is a controversial topic but just seeking opinions. The bike and tire is 6 weeks old with 1700 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Success!

I have had two tires plugged, and they worked just fine.

On a national holiday, I detected a screw in my front tire,
while touring Newfoundland. I sought assistance and got lucky.
A fellow led me to a group of people working on vehicles of all sorts,
and half a dozen guys volunteered to plug my tire. One of them won.

The only difficulty was persuading my benefactor to accept a tip.
I prevailed by pretending I was superstitious and wouldn't trust the
fix unless I compensated the fixer. That tire carried me several thousand
miles before it was discarded.

A couple of years later, I found my own nail, and plugged the tire myself.
Again the fix lasted as long as the tire. I never gave it a thought.

I understand that if a plug fails, the leak is generally slow, and you
can often try again with more glue or a bigger plug or both.

Your Mileage May Vary, as we say in these situations,
but I have learned to be confident of my next plug.

Keith

·
Registered
350 Posts
A lot of the success of the plug fix is where the hole is located. If near the center of the tread, then it should hold well. If the puncture is near the sidewall, all bets are off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Back when I had my Gold Wing, I caught a nail in the center tread of my fairly new rear tire. I plugged it and rode it for the life of the tread. I never had a problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Halfway to my first service, I picked up a 4" bolt (seriously - I should have taken a picture) at the very edge of the tread on the rear tire. Ripped it out, plugged it, and 8500 miles later, all is still well.

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
I had a stop'ngo plug fail after a couple hundred miles. The worms didn't stop the leak either. New tire time.
Sometimes the repair works fine, others not. Phooey, eh?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm glad all had success with plugs. I guess being I only have 2 wheels instead of 4, I rather not plug a tire on the bike. Fear of something happening at high speed if plug fails.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I much prefer the patch/plug combo for once I get home. On the road a plug in a pinch but I'm not going to depend on that long term on a bike tire, or really ANY tire..

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hole was in a "good" spot so I will watch it closely. Of course it is a good excuse to get a different tire I might want on the rear.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I've had several patches in tires last the life of the tire.

When I've had a look at them after they were removed the patch wasn't going anywhere, even trying to tear one out with pliers didn't work that well (The plug broke off leaving the patch still in the carcase).

Pete

·
Registered
453 Posts
My wife's beemer has a plug, my camper trailer has a plug and the rear on my V-Strom has a plug. If I was scared to run on a plug I'd be shelling out $550 for three new tires mounting and balancing. They work and "knock on wood" I've yet to have one fail or leak. I do my own repairs and I don't get in a hurry. I always check air pressures and run maximum recommended pressures.
PS the 10plys on my HD truck just bend nails and screws.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My local auto tire shop quoted me $7.00 to do an internal patch if I took the tire off the rim. I would be more comfortable with a recommended method of repair (internal patch) than a plug. I have read that plugs in radial tires aren't recommended. I know some have had good luck, but I think it is a risk.

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
"Fear of something happening at high speed if plug fails."

When the tire started to deflate I could feel it and my riding partner came along side and signaled there was a problem. It wasn't catastrophic. Most tires will run flat and still not break the bead.
I had one go flat on a mountain road and I traveled 10 miles to a spot I knew was flat to work on it. I just slowed down a bit.
One can imagine all sorts of horrible possibilities with an active mind. Like my dear departed Mom used to say, "Did you see what almost could have happened?"

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely a plug in a steel belt is asking for truble.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
A lot of the success of the plug fix is where the hole is located. If near the center of the tread, then it should hold well. If the puncture is near the sidewall, all bets are off.
center of tread or edge (as long as its not in the sidewall) doesn't make as much difference as the angle of the puncture, straight thru punctures are easily repairable, when the puncture goes thru at a more severe angle, it causes plies to separate that is not so repairable

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
175 Posts
The tire plug question is kind of like an oil thread. You will get some who say ride it till the tire is worn out and others that say change the tire ASAP. In the end you have make the decision that you are comfortable with. So do you research and make the decision based on what s right for you.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just spoke to the Auto Plaza tire guy I know and he said for basic round perpendicular nail holes if done right the mushroom plugs are the best of the plugs in his opinion. Since they need to be pushed in enough and then pulled back to seat properly a lot of folks mess them up on car tires where the worms are a bit simpler.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Feel your pain. I once got new tires, on the ride home picked up a nail in the front tire. :furious:
The dealership replaced it as a warranty item.:thumbup:

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
I got my 6th (or is it 7th?) hole in a tire last Sunday. First time it was in a front tire.

Like all the other punctures I have fixed I used the worms and fully intend to ride with it until the tire wears out. I have never had any issues with fixing a flat this way and have also had a puncture in my Boxster rear tire fixed with a worm as well. The tire was almost new (2 weeks?) and lasted the life of the tire.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 44 Posts