StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was getting ready for an epic ride today and found it. I was doing the pre ride inspection and found a 1" large head nail. It did hold air but I'm not chancing it.

Is the tire junk or can I repair it? :confused:

·
Registered
926 Posts
About 18 years ago, on an XJ 600 Seca II, I discovered a nail in my rear tyre. I dont know how long it had been there (I was commuting daily), and I didnt even know it was a nail till I grabbed it with a pair of pliers and pulled it out (after which the tyre rapidly deflated).

The local dealership plugged it and I rode it for a year or two like that before I sold it. I still don't now what the safety aspects of this repair were but I didn't have any problems...

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Leave the nail in until you can plug it [or get it plugged].

If the tyre still has good tread there is no need to replace it, it will see out its normal life after the repair.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If the tire has a lot of life left, I would recommend patching it from the inside. I would always worry about my plug failing on a long trip, particularly when the tire gets hot. If plugged properly, they usually last, but many eventually fail at some point.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Plug it and forget it. I plugged my Metzler Tourance and rode it until the cord showed just to see if the plug would hold. It did outlast my tire. As long as it is not a sidewall puncture or close to the edge of the tread face I would ride the thing until it is dead. YMMV

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to NAPA and bought a tire plugging kit for $12 bucks. Got the plug in and let it sit for a bit and have had 32 psi in it for a few hours and it seems to be holding so far.

I plan on finishing the tire off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've plugged a tire and then continued to use it till it was worn out. If you want to be extra careful you could always put some Ride-On sealant in the tire just for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have plugged 2 tires on my Strom. The first one I wore out. The second one spit the plug coming out of a left hand sweeper at 120kph and was completely flat by the time I pulled over to the shoulder.:yikes:
After that a$$ puckering experience I swore I would only use a plug to get me to a proper fix.
Ya pay's your money ya takes your chances.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have plugged a travel trailer tire and 30 minutes later inflated it to 90 lb. and it held.

Having said that however, and even though I carry a plug kit and 12V compressor when touring, I agree with the post above and would not risk riding any more than necessary to get home or to a tire shop with a plugged tire on a motorcycle. I have had numerous tire professionals over the years tell me to always get a tubeless tire patched from the inside and not depend on just a plug. I've had one blowout on a motorcycle and it was terrifying (although that was with a tube tire so it isn't totally analogous).

The risk may not be great but it's still too much, IMHO.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

1 - 9 of 9 Posts