StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got a nail right in the middle of my stock original rear tire (Bridgestone Train Wing). I cannot find the stock tire anywhere within an hour of me. I cannot order the tire as I'm on my bike every day. A local guy has a set of Bridgestone battleaxe tires. I guess I'll have to change both out..can't have a dual sport on the front and a street tire on the back. I do go offroad so I suppose I'll have to eventually get a sprocket and a whole different off road set at some point.

Any experience with the battleaxe tires on a VEE?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok got a nail right in the middle of my stock original rear tire (Bridgestone Train Wing). I cannot find the stock tire anywhere within an hour of me. I cannot order the tire as I'm on my bike every day. A local guy has a set of Bridgestone battleaxe tires. I guess I'll have to change both out..can't have a dual sport on the front and a street tire on the back. I do go offroad so I suppose I'll have to eventually get a sprocket and a whole different off road set at some point.

No experience with battleaxe tires / But, as long as they are both Radial type tires I don't see a problem with mixing them. I've always done it. Depending on if your into mud or really soft dirt a good street tire ( or even bald as I've see ) will get you through gravel and fairly hard packed dirt. I've run mixed tires on my bikes cept when they are new and oems.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I see you're from Tampa. So Barney's being they were close (and I was losing air rapidly) said they could get an other Trailwing as the tire as almost new. Turns out they put on a Battlewing and charged me $180 for the rubber and $50 or so to put it on. It worked fine with the Trailwing till the rear flat spotted pretty badly at 7000 miles (Battlewing had a few cuts in it). It's a real soft tire.

These dealers around here are frustrating with tires. They take forever to order one. I think it took two weeks for the Battlewing. Personally, you might want to mail order a set and get one of the independent shops to mount them.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Premium Member
254 Posts

Same thing happened to me over the weekend (1 1/2" screw) in my new Continental Trail Attack rear tire. Plugged it to get home.

Checked the majority of motorcycle tire brand web sites and everyone except Dunlop call for a damaged tire to be replaced due to the tires interior integrity being compromised.

Dunlop indicates that even though there tire has been plugged & PATCHED INSIDE the speed rating is null and void and the maximum speed restricted to below 80mph.

I did learn that out of all of the tire manufacturers only Avon provides a "Road Hazard Warantee" at No additional cost for the 1st 1 millimeter of tire wear = I would have gotten a free tire if I owned Avon's under these circumstances.

I'm debating if I should get it patched or go with new.....

Stuff happens, live & learn.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My problem with patched tires is you never know when it might let go. My piece of mind is worth more than 1 tire.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
nail in tire.

Plug it and for get it. I have used them several times on the bike and all of my cars.. never an issue as long as it is in the tread. Sidewalls, you buy new tires...

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Well if any of you get a hole in a 150 size TKC80... i'll pay yah shipping to send it to me! :cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Same thing happened to me over the weekend (1 1/2" screw) in my new Continental Trail Attack rear tire. Plugged it to get home.

Checked the majority of motorcycle tire brand web sites and everyone except Dunlop call for a damaged tire to be replaced due to the tires interior integrity being compromised.

Dunlop indicates that even though there tire has been plugged & PATCHED INSIDE the speed rating is null and void and the maximum speed restricted to below 80mph.

I did learn that out of all of the tire manufacturers only Avon provides a "Road Hazard Warantee" at No additional cost for the 1st 1 millimeter of tire wear = I would have gotten a free tire if I owned Avon's under these circumstances.

I'm debating if I should get it patched or go with new.....

Stuff happens, live & learn.
I’m guessing the party line of replace is because two reasons. 1. They want to sell more tires. 2. Protection from lawsuits.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I agree, they do want to sell more tires # 1 and they do not want to be liable to the unfortunate rider/loved ones that is now partially/totally disabled or worse killed due to the failure of the plug/patch # 2.

Ordered a new tire yesterday = just wasn't comfortable riding with a plugged tire.

To each his/her own.

Ride Safe & Often,

·
Registered
5,444 Posts

File this in the same place as "manufacturers recommend replacing helmets every five years." In other words, the "DUH!" file.

I have used "sticky string" plugs for many years and have never had a failure or loss of air even on a 900-lb Goldwing or a very fast GSX1100. My only hesitation would about using a rubber plug in a steel-belted tire like the Metz Z-6. I suppose under rare circumstances the abraded belts COULD cut through the plug. But by then lightning will have killed me, anyway.

But peace of mind is important, too. If it bothers you replace it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Money well spent!

Had another back tire punture last week from a sliver of sharp, pointed metal. It was in between the tread blocks at angle. I plugged it, but it's wearing funny.

The first one happened at 3K from a roofing nail. This one at almost 12K. But...

When I bought my bike new, they tried to sell me all kinds of extras. Extended warranty, etc... One thing I DID buy was a Road Hazard package that pays for any tire or wheel damage for 3yrs. Now I'll be on my 3rd new tire and am sure glad I spent that $199 bucks on it. I almost got my money's worth from the first puncture, now I can ride in peace with a new tire and not worry about the plug. The way it was wearing would have me replacing it real soon.

If you buy a new bike and they offer such a package, buy it! I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I bought front and rear Battleaxe tires and so far I like the ride. Longevity is important to me as well so sure won't know about that for awhile. I was out a bit over 300 dollars for all including installation. One backtire on my Hayabusa would run me that much, so I put that in perspective. lol.

One fun not really, ok it sucked thing, was that when I got the bike back with my shiny new tires installed, I take off and the damn bike wouldn't stop. Well, it sure didn't slow down when I applied the brakes like I did before I had the tires changed. So of course I go right back there and say, Uhhh...my bike's brakes aren't working ..what gives? The teenage kid who did the tire change (scary once I learned this), told me he didn't do anything but take off the calipers and didn't adjust anything. This kid didn't have a motorcycle driver's licence (is that even more scary or what?), so he goes to get the "old pro" from up front. Some middle aged guy comes out without saying a word to me standing near the bike, takes off down the road. As I'm imagining him dead along the road and contemplating how good their insurance is, he comes back, hops off and say, Nothing wrong with those brakes!!

I'm like WTF..are you kidding me. I told him I just rode it and it didn't have any bite to it and I'd be damn scared to ride it like that. Old guy tells me to ride it one more time a bit further cause maybe I wasn't mashing the brakes hard enough. I'm like..whatever ok. The bike would stop but not if I didn't really smoosh hard on the brakes.

Ok so anyone who can see the end of this story coming a mile raise your hand. The old guy is like...nope, nothing wrong with those brakes and walks away. I'm about to get pissed and am considering my options, violence, tantrum etc. The kid is still standing there and says, wait a minute...gets on his butt, holds my front tire and pushes in the brake with his knee to bleed the air. He did it on front and rear..and VOILA...like new.

So I asked the kid, would the Old guy not just do that instead of saying there was nothing wrong with my brakes when it was obvious to anyone who ever rode two wheels that there was. He said the "pro up at the counter, didn't know any of the little tricks". And this from the guy with no motorcycle licence lol.

Anyway I thanked the kid and so far it's been .ok with the new tires

1 - 18 of 18 Posts