StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Bangor News:

Jackson Laboratory announces expansion plans to Sarasota, Fla. — Health & Fitness — Bangor Daily News

How the natives receive this news:

Jackson Laboratory picks Sarasota County site for personalized medicine institute, sources say | HeraldTribune.com

Two counties in Florida vied for the attention of Jackson Laboratory,
and it now appears that Jackson will build a new lab in Sarasota.

I conducted some man-in-the-street interviews, and collected some comments:

"It sez their mice earned 22 Nobel prizes. Do you have any recipes?"

"If they are bringing New England weather, we don't want them."

"Uh hope they ain't doin' no ungodly stem-cell research!"

"If they will create jobs, then I'll take the credit!" (Gov. Rick Scott)

"Ain't they from Mississippi? Why din't they stay there?"​

Seriously, this is a boost to Sarasota's economy, and it will probably be a great opportunity for one of Maine's principal scientific employers to have a branch in the Southeast, as well as the Southwest.

I live near where Jackson is expected to build, and I think the company will prosper and do great things for Sarasota. I have a copy of today's Sarasota Herald Tribune, which praises Jackson Labs for its decision to build here. If anyone wants me to mail it, send me a PM. First taker gets it; others will have to persuade me to go out and buy another paper, which I might very well do.

Keith

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
You are such a great guy, Keith!!!

I do hope that you will visit MDI this year. If you do, I will see to it that my landlady gives you a personal tour of the great "mouse-factory" here on the island; the "mouse hole" that started it all. Jan is a research scientist for Alstrom Syndrome.

Alstrom Syndrome International is located just a few short footsteps across the driveway from where my home is.

Afterwards, I will give you a tour of The Hinckley Company. And, maybe even a ride on a Jet Boat as icing on the cake.

See you soon!

Barry

PS: Here is the article from the Maine perspective: The Jackson Laboratory

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mouse-hunting? Why not!

You are such a great guy, Keith!!!

I do hope that you will visit MDI this year. ...

See you soon!

Barry

What a fetching offer! Well, I will be based in Toronto from early June until late July, so what the heck. I would like to bring a friend, a gent I have been riding with since 1961. He and I have ridden around the three smallest Great Lakes, but never to salt water. Please tell me when during that time is good, or when is bad.

Keith

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
What a fetching offer! Well, I will be based in Toronto from early June until late July, so what the heck. I would like to bring a friend, a gent I have been riding with since 1961. He and I have ridden around the three smallest Great Lakes, but never to salt water. Please tell me when during that time is good, or when is bad.

Keith
Arriving on a Thursday evening, or Friday would be best. I have Friday - Sundays off from work. I would enjoy showing you young fellows around!

Barry

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya win some, Ya lose some.

The deal has become doubtful.
Perhaps Jackson Labs will build in Sarasota County; perhaps not.

I hope the deal survives, because we could use the business.
Furthermore, my home, quite near the proposed location,
might thereby increase in value. That would be nice ... or mice.

Keith

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
The deal has become doubtful.
Perhaps Jackson Labs will build in Sarasota County; perhaps not.

I hope the deal survives, because we could use the business.
Furthermore, my home, quite near the proposed location,
might thereby increase in value. That would be nice ... or mice.

Keith
It may become a "mouse - house".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts