StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 DL650. I took off the front sprocket cover to replace chain/sprockets and found this wire connector, apparently not attached to anything. It's about 7 inches long. I couldn't find anything that looked like it in the Suzuki service manual or in parts diagrams or sprocket-removal videos.
What is this, and where should it be attached?
fwiw, long-time lurker, first post, apologies if I haven't posted this correctly. I've had the V Strom since last summer and have put about 11k miles on it; great bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup, helmet locking cable. Mean ole Mr. Gravity about caused you a nasty problem. Consider yourself lucky I'd say.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

That makes sense. As you have pointed out I'm lucky that it lurked there without getting caught on anything.
Now back to loosening that sprocket...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Agree. Best is to toss it altogether because it's not long enough to go around the chin piece of a modern full face helmet, and if you want to lock the helmet by its straps, you can just as easily loop the straps themselves through the lock.

The helmet lock on a 2002 DL1000 is just behind your left knee when sitting on the bike, and it opens with the ignition key. Don't know about the DL650, but I know some bikes have hooks for a wire like this under the seat. So by locking the seat you also lock the wire, and thereby the helmet, to the bike.

·
Registered
14,841 Posts
I didn't get one with my used 04 Wee but wondered what the thing was when I got the used 05 Wee.
I'll go toss it now.

·
Registered
14,841 Posts
Don't know about the newer models but the old ones had 4 steel loops, 2 on each side that could be used to hold that wire loop in place when the seat was reinstalled. PITA to use because you had to take the seat off to do it. I have a length of cable with a lock on it to secure my riding stuff and helmet to the luggage rack. Mo Bettah.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
There is a helmet lock, really? 2017 where?
You might look under your sprocket cover. >:)

I use a Helmet Hook now. Before that, like Notacop, I used a cable. Specifically one from Moto-Kafe, a nice brightly colored one. Still use a longer one for my jacket when I am away from the bike for awhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts