StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DL 650 presented me a mystery!

Every time I open the fuel cap, there is a pressure relief, even after a night in the garage.

The motorcycle operates normally, if it weren't for the pressure relief I wouldn't have noticed the problem. It doesn't matter, apparently, if fuel level is high or low. Temperatures are around 27 C these days. I first noted the problem about 1 month ago.

I can´t find the cause of this, and neither can Suzuki´s mechanics in my city. All hoses are unblocked. They started trial and error problem solving and that bother's me a lot!

Any insights or suggestions, people?

·
Registered
740 Posts
The pressure relief valve inside the gas cap could be blocked.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Have you previously lifted the fuel tank? It could be that one of the fuel tank hoses is pinched / kinked, when the tank is lowered in place.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Are you sure it's pressure and not a vacuum ??

If you don't start the motor between tests do you get the same result ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pressure relief valve inside the gas cap could be blocked.
Thank you, Big Boy!

I dismounted completely the fuel cap, and confess that the relief system is complicated, I sdidn't fully understand it. Too many valves and calibrated passagers... but I found nothing obstructed or stuck, so I mounted again and installed in the tank.

Still not OK... :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you previously lifted the fuel tank? It could be that one of the fuel tank hoses is pinched / kinked, when the tank is lowered in place.
Thank you, Gert!

I checked the canister, the hoses and the routing, everything OK with, nothing pinched or obstructed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it's pressure and not a vacuum ??

If you don't start the motor between tests do you get the same result ??
Thank you, Rolex,

Yes, I am positive it is not vacuum. I check after some period parked, and if it is sunny that is quite a strong gas vapor expelling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Gert, the second link you suggested has a relevanmt discussion indeed. I asked for help there...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello, my friends!

I finally cracked the vapor accumulation problem in my wee.

Though I am not much of a mechanic, I gave up on Suzuki and decided to take the tank off and check all the circuit.

To my perplexity, i discovered the problem in less than 10 minutes. The hoses for vapor collection to the canister and for water drainage from around the cap were inverted, each connected to the wrong tube out of the tank. There was even water accumulated in the vapor hose, before the gasoline check valve. I purchased this byke a few weeks ago, and the previous owner must have the tank connections inverted.

After re-inverting the hoses, the problem was gone. So much for Suzuki service... it is my first Suzuki after 45 years of Hondas, and I never encountered such an incompetent/negligent service.

Thank you all for your advice, for the diagrams and for the discussions that made it possible for me to solve the problem. This is a great forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, Gert!

I checked the canister, the hoses and the routing, everything OK with, nothing pinched or obstructed.
In the end, you were on the spot, Gert. The problem was the connections in the vapor system.

I had checked the routing, but only below the seat, without lifting the tank in the first time, because Suzuki mechanic told me he had checked.

I have a letter to write to Suzuki South America now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts