StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suited up and rolled out of the garage for the work commute this AM on one of those clear, cold days that I love so much. Smelled gas just after start up - drip, drip, drip, drip fairly rapidly; landing just behind the front cylinder, then running around the front of the magneto cover of the left side and onto the ground. As I was running a little late, I thought I could wait until tonight to find the source. Not wanting to become a human fireball this morning :yikes:, I drove the truck :headbang: instead.

So.., I loosened plastic and propped up the tank this evening. Starting the bike and hunting with a small flashlight, I found NOTHING. Both ends of the rubber fuel line from tank were bone dry (I REALLY thought I'd find the issue on one of those flimsly plastic fuel line clips). No drips; didn't even smell like gas.

This has happened once before recently, but only after the bike had sat for a number of days. Once I ride again (which is nearly daily), the problem ceases. Any ideas of where to look? The bike starts, idles, and runs like clockwork.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If it sits for a while, the hose dries out and shrinks. Then running the engine again starts the leak for a while. When the hose is exposed to fuel again, it swells and seals after a little while. Each time the engine is started after sitting for a few days or more, it leaks until the hose swells up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. You saved me hours. I'm going to also try the suggested 'easy airbox removal method' while I'm in there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Scuse me but what is the "easy airbox method" ? I have pulled my tank and fixed my own fuel leak, thanks to these threads. If I remember, I took out several bolts/screws in the bottom of the air box, (realy don't remember) pulled the hoses and loosened the throttle body boots, pulled the airbox and replaced the clamps.

Is there a better way? Still get an occasional whiff of fuel. Thinking of going back in there and replacing the clamps again with new hose this time. Thanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#16 08-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Scott E. Bonds
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper! Join Date: Aug 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air box removal the easier way. Do not try to remove the band clamp from the front TB boot with a long screw driver. You are working blind which is fine dissassembling but bad when putting it back.

Leave the front TB clamp alone and just compress the rubber boot for the front body with your hands and push it down and out of the air box when pulling the box up. The rear TB clamp is removed with a screw driver as normal.

Then when reassembling, verify the front clamp is on correct and tight (even though you didn't mess with it) and squeeze the front boot until it pops back into its hole in the air box, then tighten the rear band clamp back up. Be sure the boot in front has its groove capturing the airbox plastic correctly, its easy to see. The band clamps for the boots have a specific orientation which the manual shows to prevent interference with the throttle linkage.

Its harder to explain than do.

As well as beiing easier to do...a big plus for me, you will know the front clamp is tight and on correct.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Scott E. Bonds; 08-03-2011 at 07:25 AM.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to find time last night to change out the short (2 3/8" long x 5/6" ID) fuel line with new clamps as suggested, and seems to have done the trick. Thank you to Greywolf and others who replied.

Biggest pain is / was taking all those little airbox hose clamps off. The technique of stuffing the front rubber snorkel in and out of the airbox hole without loosening the front snorkel clamp seems to work, I just felt like I needed a couple more non-opposabble thumbs for a few minutes there :biggrinjester:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts