StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While swapping my old rear shock and spring for an even older (but with much fewer miles) DL1000 assembly I heard a ping as something metal fell on the ground beside me and the mystery of the nut began. This thing has had me scratching my head for the last few days and I can't seem to figure out exactly where it came from. I don't even own a 28mm socket, so that just makes the mystery even more infuriating. I have a FZR600R and a Shadow Spirit in my work area too but I can't imagine how it could have leapt from one bike down to where I was, pretty much under my V-Strom's swingarm. Everything rear (and including) the front sprocket has been checked and I've run through as many parts diagrams as I can but still nothing, so if anyone knows where this little bugger goes I'd appreciate the help!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Are you the original owner? If not, the PO may have used that as a shim on the rear shock to raise the back of the bike up which helps turn in. It is placed in such a way as to act as a spacer on the rear shock. In your case, it may have been put in with the shaft of the shock coming up through it. May seem like a crude fix, but it is a common "fix" used on Honda Blackbirds to sharpen turn in. It effectively decreases the rake of the front fork.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
With the internal flange and the very fine tread I would suggest if it's from a motorcycle it could be from a steering stem.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Sure doesn't look like it's from your V-strom.

Looks brand new and never used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you the original owner? If not, the PO may have used that as a shim on the rear shock to raise the back of the bike up which helps turn in. It is placed in such a way as to act as a spacer on the rear shock. In your case, it may have been put in with the shaft of the shock coming up through it. May seem like a crude fix, but it is a common "fix" used on Honda Blackbirds to sharpen turn in. It effectively decreases the rake of the front fork.
No, I got her about 2 and a half years ago from a guy up to VT and she was already upgraded with a whole bunch of off road equipment, so it's a good chance that you're right! Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts