StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm heading down to Mrytle Beach (caging it) mid Oct. I want to hit the local bike shops, especially Suzuki dealerships and dualsport shops where I can get more farkles. Any recommendations, Thanks

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Sorry that I can't help you with bike shop recommendations but I hope you enjoy your trip.

Myrtle Beach is very nice this time of year. I've been there several times in October and the weather and ocean temps were very nice. No crowds, etc.

I was there a couple / few weeks ago.

Again, enjoy !

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
This has been canvassed several times in the past. Unfortunately the snowbird route is rather bereft of good bike shops, that is unless you're going as far as Daytona and you're looking for HD gear.

Whatever you're looking for, research it online before you go and order it to your hotel. Shipping and returns are often free, or at least cheap, within the continental US. With that said, the Canadian dollar is above par with the US dollar at the moment and the gains to be made on stuff you can get in Canada otherwise may be negligible. Besides, you're in St. Catharines with Dual Sport Plus around the corner.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Myrtle Beach(my home town) has a place called SBB (three locations I think). It is mainly for HDs though. There isn't much else unless you go during Bike Week (then there are thousands of vendors)

Myrtle Beach | bike week, fall rally, Murrells Inlet | Myrtle Beach Bike Week, Sonny Productions | Myrtle Beach Bike Week

Looks like you may be a week or two too late though.

One of our members still lives in MB.

P.S. If you want some great seafood, great view, and high quality restaraunt I highly recommend "Gulf Stream Marina" in Garden City. A bit expensive...but oh so Excellent! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Besides, you're in St. Catharines with Dual Sport Plus around the corner.
Yea, I know where Dualsport is. I bought my givi V35 bags, throttle control, voltage monitor and cans of chain lube there Since I can bring back $600 in merchandise over the border maybe I can get a better deal down there, but I have a feeling I won't be saving that much anyways.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
On our last Orlando trip I ordered a jacket and riding pants on close out prices that couldn't be had in Canada. I think it was $150USD with free shipping. I don't think I could have found anything similar here for under $500.

Anyway, have fun. Don't think too much about shopping.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There is Redline Powersports on 501 between MB and Carolina Forest.
Also a new place called Grand Strand Cycles, also on 501 just off of Forestbrook road. I can get contact info if you need it.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
We are Unwelcome.

Myrtle Beach SC has demonstrated it is an anti-motorcycle city.

It enacted unconstitutional laws, aimed at driving bike rallies from Myrtle Beach.

South Carolina's Supreme Court killed those laws,
but I suspect Myrtle Beach is still hostile to bikers.

S.C. Supreme Court strikes down Myrtle Beach helmet law | Dealernews

I go through South Carolina once in a while, and enjoy the passage a lot.
But I reckon I will not go to Myrtle Beach and face possible hostility.

Suit yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im down in myrtle quite a bit since it's just around the corner. Most of the business owners welcome bikers.

Unfortunately the only good bike shop is redline power sports. Unless you want some chrome then there is a lot of Harley and leather stores.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
407 Posts
Myrtle Beach SC has demonstrated it is an anti-motorcycle city.

It enacted unconstitutional laws, aimed at driving bike rallies from Myrtle Beach.

South Carolina's Supreme Court killed those laws,
but I suspect Myrtle Beach is still hostile to bikers.

S.C. Supreme Court strikes down Myrtle Beach helmet law | Dealernews

I go through South Carolina once in a while, and enjoy the passage a lot.
But I reckon I will not go to Myrtle Beach and face possible hostility.

Suit yourself.
Blah blah. One of the main reasons MB did this was because of the incredibly high injury rates during the bike weeks. There were also many business owners that were tired of their properties getting trashed. The cost to provide security was becoming more expensive than the revenue the city was making off the rally.

Now, perhaps they went about fixing things the wrong way, but you have to understand something, Myrtle Beach is advertised as a "Family Vacation Spot." So having 4 weeks out of the summer full of drunk half-naked bikers was not doing very well for them.

Now, since this has all happened, the only law that remains in affect is the noise ordinance law (still don't have to ride with a helmet) although it is rightfully encouraged. And most importantly, the people that seemed to be causing all the problems have "boycotted" the bike rallys. Which has worked out great, because there was only like a 10% drop in attendance but like an 80% improvement in the quality of the people attending.

The city was trying to protect its image as a "family" friendly spot, and I think they did a good job with it. I love MB, and wish I still lived there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in Myrtle Beach. I hate to say it but redline does have the best gear & it's not great. Not sure why a Canadian rider would look in a sub-tropic beach town for gear that would be used in cold Canada :). No real use for "gear" when it's 78 in December, heck 90% of the people around this place don't even wear a helmet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
redline does have the best gear & it's not great.

What do you mean "best gear" "not great". I"m heading down south because right now it's polar bear mating season in the Toronto area and it can get pretty dangerous up here, kidding a side, My wife promised to buy me a birthday present and I'm looking for a mesh jacket and gloves

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Thanks for the updates.

I am glad to learn, from folks who know lots more about the subject than I do,
that Myrtle Beach is hospitable to motorcyclists, and their earlier over-reaction
was temporary in its effect.

As Myrtle Beach is not apparently shunning me, I will no longer shun it.

Keith

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

What do you mean "best gear" "not great". I"m heading down south because right now it's polar bear mating season in the Toronto area and it can get pretty dangerous up here, kidding a side, My wife promised to buy me a birthday present and I'm looking for a mesh jacket and gloves
I bought a Tourmaster mesh jacket at Cycle Gear two weeks ago. They were 20% off making it $189.00. Check them out in Matthews when you come to Charlotte. You should be driving right past them on hwy 74 headed to Myrtle. They will be on the right just past Fun Cycles of Matthews.

·
Registered
12 Posts

By saying "best gear" I mean biggest selection vs anybody else around here, they will have some stuff you can see in person & try on.
By saying "not great" they really don't have very much to look @.

I would look around @ Redline first. There is 1 more shop in town that is smaller & just does motorcycles (redline does jet skis,four wheelers etc.) called Armadillio cycles they have a very small parts area but the stuff they have will probably be better suited for your (mesh jacket,gloves) needs. They are more of a sport bike shop. But what they lack in visible inventory they make up in knowledge. All the guys ride (mostly track) & are very cool. They have a huge parts book that has jackets gloves etc. & if you order they get your stuff in 1 business day. Our group of riders have all got stuff from them & 99% of the time they have to order it but like I said order on Tuesday they have your jacket on Wednesday. Redline kind of has a bad reputation for not taking care of people before & after buying motorcycles but if you are just getting gear you should be
fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts