StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, when I try to go to stromtrooper.com, I get redirected to a different page with spam pop-ups. I think it's called myfileshare.com

Not sure why it's happening or if it's happening to other people, but it's happened to me on two different computers on two different networks, so I don't think it's isolated.

FWIW, I'm on google chrome. To get here, I type "stromtrooper" into the url bar - which causes a google search. The first link on the first page is

www.stromtrooper.com

when I click on that, I get redirected to the spam page. If I hit the back button and hit that link a second time, I get here.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It certainly sounds like malware on your end to me. Nobody else is reporting such a problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm seeing the same thing- usually when selecting a link from a google search, via Firefox. Both at home and at work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here - selecting a link from a google search.

It's happened on two of my computers on my home network and on my work computer.

Pretty slim chance that they all have exactly the same malware affliction. Even slimmer when Haywood's getting the same thing.

It's not a big deal, just thought someone would want to look into it.

·
38,048 Posts
If it was on the Stromtrooper end, it would happen to everybody. Having a few people pick up the same malware is not unusual. Having one person get it on two computers from visiting some of the same sites or on the same network is not unusual either. I will pass it along though.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
me too

Same here - selecting a link from a google search.

It's happened on two of my computers on my home network and on my work computer.

Pretty slim chance that they all have exactly the same malware affliction. Even slimmer when Haywood's getting the same thing.

It's not a big deal, just thought someone would want to look into it.
exactly as described - when using Google Search to search Stromtrooper.com

(air box removal, TBS etc subjects)

·
38,048 Posts
I use Google to search Stromtrooper many times a day. What term are you searching for?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
A similar thing happened to OffRoadExplorer here in Oz.

Some people had the issue, while others initially didn't get the same thing.

The website owner managed to get it fixed, seems someone was hacking the site and causing the redirect to the same page as some are getting here.

It happened to me on ORE, but not on here....yet.

·
38,048 Posts
I have reported it but haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There's definitely some shinnanigans going on somewhere.

For those affected, if you know how to edit your hosts file you could add an entry like:

Code:
127.0.0.1 myfileshare.com
This will redirect any connection attempts from that site to the local machine, which will effectively block that site. It won't remove whatever malware might be on the system though.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I'm often getting that annoying site when I click on the Stromtrooper-threads-subscribed-to link in my email. McAfee screens it out with an alert, but it's still a PITA.

·
Administrator
1,141 Posts
Hello. Alan here.

Sorry for the delay. The bad site is now gone. Our URL was "infected". Please try googling stromtrooper to confirm.

Thanks.

~ Alan, Community Support

·
38,048 Posts
I wonder why only some people were affected.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It just popped up again. But, two days ago, it was fine. I wonder if the URL got infected again?

Thanks for looking into it.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Mine came back, too. McAfee screens it out, but it takes a couple of keystrokes to get back to the forum. Do these assholes really think they are drumming up business by pissing people off?

·
38,048 Posts
I'll re-report it.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I'm still getting it, and not just at home on my laptop, but I tried to access the forum today from my work computer and it popped up there, and triggered a security alert. And we have the BEST firewalls you can imagine, (and some you probably can't). Stromtrooper is now a blocked/banned site on my work computer.:headbang:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I get it every time. What is weird, is that if I hit the "back" button to go back to the google search page and click on the stromtrooper link again, it takes me directly to stromtrooper without that crap popping up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts