StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I left for work this morning the gas gauge was flashing the last red bar at me so I stopped in at my friendly village gas station to fill up. An older gentleman was there scrubbing the bugs off the windshield of his Subie, and I noticed that he stopped and watched as I rode in and parked on the other side of the pump island.

As I climbed off the bike he immediately came over, squeegee still in hand and exclaimed, "My, what a nice quiet motorcycle!"

"Thank you", I said, "I like them that way."

"So do I", he said, "I hate those loud ones! What is it?"

"It's a little 650 Suzuki - a V-Strom", I said.

"Suzuki...", he said, "Very nice!" He then dunked the squeegee in its appointed container, went back to his car, and drove away.

I proceeded to fill up the tank with a smile on my face. :mrgreen:

+++++++

This is far from the first time that I've had people comment, always favorably, on how "nice and quiet" the Wee is.

Do any of you other Wee riders get that too? :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
This is far from the first time that I've had people comment, always favorably, on how "nice and quiet" the Wee is.
My wife comments all the time. It's great to be able to come and go without her knowing...

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
A scooter dude pulled up next to me at a light last summer.

First comment was "quiet!"
Second was "Can you do a wheelie?"

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've heard a similar comment from a neighbour, I think she was quite relieved it was not a loud cruiser I had purchased! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that was my wife's first comment on the bike upon hearing me pull into the garage for the first time and resulted in her instant approval. She was never a fan of the unique exhaust note produced by my Kawasaki H2 with Denco expansion chambers or the fact that she could hear me from 2 miles away.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Its always been my goal in life to please the non-motorcycling public in any way possible.:biggrinjester::green_lol:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Like the dirt guys say: "Less sounds equals more ground".

I also find you can get away with more stupidity of other sorts (speeding, wheelies, etc) when you're not drawing attention to yourself by making a racket. Wheelies only on closed courses, of course. ;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Same here, several times people have remarked about how quiet my V-Strom is. Once I went to the house of a fella I had met on the 2Stroke forum. I pulled into his drive, he was working on a bike. He said "that is the quiestest bike I've ever heard" in a manner that meant something was wrong with the bike, it was too quiet. I thought, hmmm, give me a second to think of something and I'll scream in your face for 10 minutes, if you like. :confused:

Seriously, quiet is good. Nice tone but quiet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
" too quiet "

Another strommer and I attended a meeting of the Suzuki Owners Club Of Canada , held at a local dealer .Maybe 6 other bikes showed up , and after a bit of meet-and-greet , we decided to ride over to a nearby restaurant . I happened to fire my Wee up first , causing my neighbour to comment : " That's the problem with adventure bikes - you can't hear 'em ." Then he fired up his immaculate , very tricked out cruiser - deafening . it was an interesting glimpse into the " loud Pipes " mindset , as these guys were very knowledgeable , pleasant , they welcomed us into their group with open arms , they're all very competent , long distance riders who put a lot of money into... very loud machines .
Alex .

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Quiet is appreciated. A group of us on BMW's pulled into a rural gas station in Idaho once and the owner complimented us on the fact we were so quite and not like the cruiser crowd.
The Wee's are like the BMW's more refined, well some anyway.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
quite bike

my evening commute is through a winding up hill street with a "No Through Traffic" sign. Its a very soothing ride for my soul after a day at the office. My quiet pipes keep me a peace with the residents, who really don't want such thru traffic as myself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
She likes it

Ever since I brought my 2012 Wee home my wife has always commented on how quiet it is. She likes it, and that's cool with me.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
'06 Vee with 2 bros.

I guess I'm inconsiderate.
They sound great on the track. Not sure I'd want to be taking a trip with them.

The Akrapovic on the DL650 is pretty nice - you can hear actual exhaust pulses but it's not offensive to anyone. Unless I was doing a burnout or something, I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I was riding my Wee around wearing my mountain bike helmet, and was surprised that the drivetrain chain/sprocket whizzing was 10x louder than the exhaust.....

·
Registered
964 Posts
I didn't get a compliment, but once I was getting on in a parking lot just as a young mother with a ~5y.o. son approached the car in the space next to my bike.
The kid has his fingers stuffed in his ears, eyes squinted shut, and mom seemed panicky to get son in the car before I started the bike.

When I did, the mom gave a bit of a surprised/ relieved look.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts