StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my wee strom about a month now. Maybe the GPS is broken. Seems like if I head down to the grocer 2 miles from my house it takes 45 minutes to get there. And I end up on lots of back roads. The bike always seems to find the right place, but just seems to get lost - coming and going.

Took me two hours the other night to go pick up some chap stick for my wife.

Issue seems exacerbated by good weather.

I didn't buy GPS for it. But I'm wondering if maybe there is a GPS chip buried in the electronics somewhere that's messed up.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
My work commute at the end of the day has always been longer when on 2 wheels. The Wee seems to have exacerbated the issue. Yesterday there was a threat of thunderstorms and it still took twice as long to drive home than to work.

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Registered
639 Posts
yeah

my commute to work was about 26 miles, and my commute home was never less than 126miles, not sure how tenndot stretches a road that much in one day:confused:

S

·
0 Posts
lol... I got home from work on the bike one night about 7:00PM.

Wife: "wow, you're late - what time did you leave work?"
Me: "probably about 4"
Wife: "it took you THREE HOURS to get home?!" (it's about a 25 min commute)
Me: "I took the long way."

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
internal gps kaput

Ya, same problem with my Vee; and it's sort of embarrassing to discuss. Even with a Garmin Zumo the bike has a directional mind of it's own to do backroads. For example ... last Sunday riding 2-up with my wife, we left to go for short ride and get breakfast and didn't get home until 4:00pm and nearly 200km later.

Not sure what to do or who to complain to.
Is it a Sukuki Vstrom issue or a Garmin issue ?
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
lol... I got home from work on the bike one night about 7:00PM.

Wife: "wow, you're late - what time did you leave work?"
Me: "probably about 4"
Wife: "it took you THREE HOURS to get home?!" (it's about a 25 min commute)
Me: "I took the long way."
Cool, unfortunately I often override the "Mysterious" GPS chip, but on the weekends, all bets are off. The chip is standard appearently on the V-Stroms.

·
Registered
980 Posts
This is a known issue with V-Stroms. There have been a lot of reports of similar problems - I know that my commute home from work somehow tripled or more, for no explicable reason. Bike simply refused to turn the way it was supposed to, and kept turning onto twisty or dirt backroads. I even installed a GPS, but the problem actually got worse because the bike then apparently started finding roads it didn't know were there previously.

Just get used to it, and get a gas rewards card.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
such small states

Cool, unfortunately I often override the "Mysterious" GPS chip, but on the weekends, all bets are off. The chip is standard appearently on the V-Stroms.
You can't be getting too lost, that or your ride map is out of date. ;)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Same here :cursing:

My 11 year old Nissan seems to find the interstate for my 16 mile commute to and from work just fine. It was a nice, boring drive that took under 30 minutes.

But the new stinking DL can't find the interstate at all. It seems to disdain traffic and quick trips. It thinks the quick way to work 22 miles through country roads with scenic buttes along the way.

And forget about getting home early. It thinks there is some kind of detour that adds another 14 miles with even more turns and climbs.

The damn rides take so long that I forget why I was stressed and what I need to worry about when I get to work the next day. And without a radio, I have lost touch with world events and my outlook on life is more positive than ever :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its a definition problem

You can't be lost if you still have half a tank. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I can honestly say that even with GPS, you are gonna have problems. It is a very fundemetal design flaw with the VStrom in general. If you look at the frame, you will notice is is slightly warped and will simply not go where you tell your spouse you are going. . .

I looked at my GPS today and realized I'd clocked 175 miles in 3 1/2 hours of "moving time" today in my commute to and from work. I live 17 miles away from work ;-)

Saturday, my wife sent me to the store for batteries for my daughter's flashlight...

Six hours later I returned...

I had the batteries, those things are expensive!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I use an older Garmin GPS V. I recently had to download a patch for some reason. At any rate it didn't correct my Vee anomaly. I'm watching this situation closely.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Interesting, because I have noticed that trips that should not take that long, do indeed seem to take 3 to 4 times longer to accomplish, while on the bike.. I do not "feel" the time or miles slipping away until I finally get to where I'm going and then notice the discrepancies (mileage, time, and half empty tank). I have notice that my bike also seems to "think" it knows the right way, but also.. it does not like the highway or traffic lights.

Granted there must be something going on here that Suzuki is not telling us.. A cover up? Special quantum physics at play here? Do 4 wheeled vehicles get to destinations faster then 2 wheeled vehicles because of the amount of wheels? What about a 18 wheeler?

I'm going to have to go for a ride and figure this out.. be back whenever :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Apparently Suzuki are aware of this problem. The rep who sold me my Wee disclosed this flaw before he sold it to me. He had a Wee and told me the average time to pick up milk at the corner store was about 2 1/2 hours. I told him I could live with that.:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hate to burst all of your bubbles but this is not an issue with your bikes.

Some colleagues of mine have been running a 3 year, double-blind study out of the University of California, Davis on this very topic. According to the engineers, they feel that the time-distance phenom affected by the wind and relativity of environmental landmarks not understood when in an automobile due to the "cage" as you all say, adversely affect the internal clock and "mess" with your time knowledge.

Of course, us on the medical side of things feel that they don't know what they are talking about and that adrenaline is the issue. Ever notice that "slow motion" effect that happens during extreme distress? The 5th edition of Taber's clearly defines the over-excitement of the adrenal glands in relation to the...well, I don't have to tell all of YOU about adrenaline, apparently.
So next month in the Journal of Internal Bio-Physiology and Chemical Composition (JIB-PCC), you will be able to read Dr Mark Goodson, Jr. et al. findings on this topic. I would highly recommend reading his findings, especially the role of gamma 1-Bg on the upper level cortex and it's complicated inverse proportionate relationship to the levels of glandular toxicity.

Or you could go ride...

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
So next month in the Journal of Internal Bio-Physiology and Chemical Composition (JIB-PCC), you will be able to read Dr Mark Goodson, Jr. et al. findings on this topic. I would highly recommend reading his findings, especially the role of gamma 1-Bg on the upper level cortex and it's complicated inverse proportionate relationship to the levels of glandular toxicity.
Think I'll stick with reading my Wee owner's manual,... after my ride.

·
Banned
307 Posts
The bike always seems to find the right place, but just seems to get lost - coming and going.
Took me two hours the other night to go pick up some chap stick for my wife. Issue seems exacerbated by good weather.
i know what ya mean. mine keeps burning gasoline. if i knew that this bike was going to nickel - dime me, i would have bought a harley. :weapons_19:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I am SOOO glad I found this thread. I was -really- worried I was the only one! SUCH a relief to find others with my problem. Now...how about we all jump on the scoots and go for a short ride? ;) ;) :cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am breathing much easier seeing this thread. Just last night my Wee took 45 minutes of country driving to get to a friend's only 3 or 4 miles away. It would not take the direct route... not sure what is up with that.

Must be a design flaw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, the MPG rating is all wrong

I thought with 51+ MPGs (I'm getting ~60) that I'd save money on gas. But my word when you have to go 30 miles to travel 2 miles ... the effective MPG is just awful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts