StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...literally, of gasoline fumes. I don't notice it when the tank is full, but it seems to get worse as the tank begins to empty out. I can smell raw gas fumes when sitting at a stop light.

The garage gets a strong smell of raw gas after I park the bike in the garage when it is hot -- even with the door left open.

This happens in cool weather. I haven't owned my wee very long and have not had it in hot weather yet, but I'm thinking that it could get even worse.

This is a low mileage 2009 ABS Canadian model. Any suggestions?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The obvious would be to check for leaks. All tanks are vented, Let us know if yours has a canister under the right side cover. If it does, check the hoses. If it does not, the filler cap is vented and may be stuck open.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No canister, so must be a stuck vent on the cap. Any advice on how to un-stick it?

·
38,104 Posts
Smell it to see if the odor is stronger from the cap. A small leak from the short hose between the throttle bodies is more common.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Smell it to see if the odor is stronger from the cap. A small leak from the short hose between the throttle bodies is more common.
If it was a leak I presume that the smell would not go away when the tank is full?

Yes, I'm localizing the smell at the gas cap.

·
38,104 Posts
A new cap is the only thing that comes to mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AFAIK this is normal for the Wee. All Wees I´ve ridden had a light smell of gasoline over the tank cap.
I think it helps to keep the grin on the face of the rider! ;-)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how normal it is. The smell is strong and noticable when I'm stopped at a light. The fumes are strong enough in the garage to be a concern.

I currently have three bikes in the garage and have had a couple of others over the past 4 years, including a pretty worn out '79 GoldWing. Comparitively, none of them had a problem like this. All were vented to atmosphere directly - no canisters.

Can the gas cap assembly be R&R'd without replacing gaskets?

·
38,104 Posts
The gaskets aren't a problem. The problems are a separate key from the ignition, figuring which of the two part numbers is the vented cap and the ~$150 cost, not to mention the outside possibility it isn't really a vent problem. It even may be you are just more sensitive to the normal smell than the average person.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gaskets aren't a problem. The problems are a separate key from the ignition, figuring which of the two part numbers is the vented cap and the ~$150 cost, not to mention the outside possibility it isn't really a vent problem. It even may be you are just more sensitive to the normal smell than the average person.
That's not what I asked. What I want to know is, can I remove the gas cap and put it back without having to buy new gaskets. I want to investigate how the venting works. Is there a vent hose that runs through the tank (like a BMW) or does the cap vent at the cap? I want to make sure that the vent is not blocked forcing pressure to build up in the tank.

BTW, I do know the difference between the smell of gas and a strong smell of gas. This is strong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do the clamps need to be replaced with better FI clamps to fix the leaky line between TB's? Is the line re-useable or should it be replaced as well?

·
38,104 Posts
The only gasket involved is the cap seal that engages every time the cap is lifted to add fuel. You can take the cap off without involving any gaskets. The vent on bikes without charcoal canisters is solely in the cap. It is supposed to let air in but not out so the tank can pressurize with heat but rarely seems to work that way. It's commonly reported to let air out.

·
38,104 Posts
Do the clamps need to be replaced with better FI clamps to fix the leaky line between TB's? Is the line re-useable or should it be replaced as well?
FI clamps are required. The pressure is a constant 43psi. Good FI rated clamps usually solve a hose leak but the hose sometimes needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only gasket involved is the cap seal that engages every time the cap is lifted to add fuel. You can take the cap off without involving any gaskets. The vent on bikes without charcoal canisters is solely in the cap. It is supposed to let air in but not out so the tank can pressurize with heat but rarely seems to work that way. It's commonly reported to let air out.
Is the cap universal or is there a separate part for the canister/California model? If the port was there for plumbing the vent, it I could run a hose through and let it dangle out the bottom of the bike like my R1100R.

I'm thinking about getting a Marsee bag that mounts to a collar around the fille cap, so I may investigate while I have the bolts out for that.

·
38,104 Posts
There are two caps as I mentioned in post #9. The vented cap is for non-California models. The CA model cap is not vented. The CA fuel tank has a vent tube inside while the non CA does not. The one site I checked shows two part numbers but does not specify which is which. There is no hose connection in the vented model, just a built in one way valve. In a dim memory, I think someone may have taken a vented cap apart to work on it. I had forgotten about that.

I found it. http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-farkles/63893-gas-caps-vented-non-vented-how-change-tumblers.html

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, thanks GW. That link is also very helpful to see what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere? I had something similar on a bike a few years back and it was a leaking fuel hose.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere? I had something similar on a bike a few years back and it was a leaking fuel hose.
When I did my 'sniff test' yesterday, the bike was fresh in from a ride of an hour, sitting in the garage. I stuck my nose in the fairing well for the forks, and smelled no gas. I stuck my nose close to cylinder head under the tank, and smelled no gas. I suck my nose on the filler cap and did smell gas.

The bike has 4000 miles on it and is a 2009. I bought it last fall, rode it for 3 weeks, put it away for the winter and just licensed it last weekend. I noticed the gas smell on my first ride last fall.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts