StromTrooper banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Boy, I'm with ya! I had a stroke a couple of weeks ago, and even though I've had a fairly remarkable recovery, my right leg isn't ready to ride again (they won't even let me drive yet). I don't know if the Strom is in my future any more, but I'm not quite ready to switch to 3 or (shudder) 4 wheels for my fun. A lower, lighter bike would seem to be a good choice. I've loved my DL650, but the weight is so high I'm terrified of dropping it now. I wish you good luck!
If you decide to try easing back into it, consider a small-to-mid-size scooter, like the Honda PCX150. Very easy to handle, and a surprising amount of fun.
And good luck with the recovery!!

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
2020 DL-650A, 1974 CB450T
28 Posts
I just got my DL-650 in the fall so haven’t had that much seat time on it yet. It was a toss-up between that and the CB500X for me. I couldn’t find a CB500X to test drive, but did drive the CBR500R which had the same engine/trans. The throttle response was really jerky off idle (not in any “official“ reviews, but rampant in the forums) and the trans was a bit notchy. Also a bit down on highway power. Once I drove the V, it was clear which one I wanted if only for the engine/trans.

That said, the V is heavy and tall for a 5’7”, 135 lb rider. I used to ride mx so am used to tall bikes. The CB is 40 lbs lighter and carries the weight a bit (not much) lower. I’d love to hear from anyone who has ridden both of these bikes and what their thoughts are.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Sounds like the Tracer 900GT clicks most of those boxes.......just sayin. ;)
Big B, thanks for the recommendation. I just put a deposit on a 2021 Tracer 9gt. Should arrive in March. It's going to feel very weird not to have a Vstrom in the garage. Given all the new features, I could not say no.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Big B, thanks for the recommendation. I just put a deposit on a 2021 Tracer 9gt. Should arrive in March. It's going to feel very weird not to have a Vstrom in the garage. Given all the new features, I could not say no.
We look forward to pics and driving reports.

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
4 gallon tank, upright ergonomics, preferably a 19" front wheel, preferably cruise control, not too tall or top heavy, in the 400+ weight range, reliable, and good dealership support. Good luck finding something!!!
That would be a 2019 CB500x.

I'm 73 - rode it across Canada in 2019 and it's the most stable bike I've had at 80 mph on the slab. Insane fuel mileage and range.

I'm also riding a CBF1000 which I easily flat foot ( 30" inseam ) but not as nimble as the CB500x and fuel mileage is horrid as is range. Keeping it around with the hope my son will resume riding next year. ( brain cancer not immediately fatal type but his mental health is rocky. )

I enjoyed the CBX from the first demo ride in 2013 and it has only gotten better over time. I was "okay" on the 2010 strom with some help from boots ( Milwaukee Troopers ) and still recommend the bike. The extra power was fun in the twists but the CB500x is more flickable.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
We look forward to pics and driving reports.
As I have said many times on this forum, I simply love/loved my Vstroms. They have been my only motorcycles since beginning my riding 10 years ago at age 54. As I am getting older, I don't want a top heavy big bike. And at 5'7" tall with a 29" inseam, the Vstroms have been getting a little too much for me. That said, if Suzuki would have put all the toys on the 650 they did on the new 1000, I would be all over it. Wanting to try something new, I checked any and all motorcycles. I found the Triumph Tiger 900 to be awesome. That said, the dealership was 90 minutes away in Vermont. That would get old real quick, especially for warranty and repair work.I would have loved the new Motoguzzi V7,but again, the closest dealer is 2+ hours away. When I saw that Yamaha did some major improvements to the Tracer 9 GT, I checked it out. My dealer is literally 5 minutes from my home and office. I only hope that I will love the Tracer as much as my Vstroms.

·
Administrator
17,758 Posts
As I have said many times on this forum, I simply love/loved my Vstroms. They have been my only motorcycles since beginning my riding 10 years ago at age 54. As I am getting older, I don't want a top heavy big bike. And at 5'7" tall with a 29" inseam, the Vstroms have been getting a little too much for me. That said, if Suzuki would have put all the toys on the 650 they did on the new 1000, I would be all over it. Wanting to try something new, I checked any and all motorcycles. I found the Triumph Tiger 900 to be awesome. That said, the dealership was 90 minutes away in Vermont. That would get old real quick, especially for warranty and repair work.I would have loved the new Motoguzzi V7,but again, the closest dealer is 2+ hours away. When I saw that Yamaha did some major improvements to the Tracer 9 GT, I checked it out. My dealer is literally 5 minutes from my home and office. I only hope that I will love the Tracer as much as my Vstroms.
So awesome to hear, I am quite sure you will be very smitten with it. Kind of wished I had waited to see what the 21 would be, but got a great deal and I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!! The Stroms have served me very well and I shall always be a fan, but IMHO the Tracer GT is simply a cut above in most categories and scratches a lot of itches.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I am in the same boat as some of you guys. 65.6 years old, but 34 inch legs. I can still lift the Wee, but just barely. I put "tip-over bars" on the C-10 Concours a few years ago, so that it won't go "over center" if I drop it. That saved me a few years ago when she went over in the basement. Even with that, I doubt I could bring her up today by myself if that big tank is full of 7.5 gallons of fuel. If she does go over and I am stranded, I could pull the tank off and all the luggage and maybe do it. Not so with the Wee.

My plan when I get too feeble and get the "dropsies" is to switch to a three-wheeler, Spyder-type or such, maybe a trike conversion of something.

Or maybe bolt the Wee to the side of the Connie and call it a sidecar.

P1040101emailverysmall.JPG P1040104emailsmall.JPG

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am in the same boat as some of you guys. 65.6 years old, but 34 inch legs. I can still lift the Wee, but just barely. I put "tip-over bars" on the C-10 Concours a few years ago, so that it won't go "over center" if I drop it. That saved me a few years ago when she went over in the basement. Even with that, I doubt I could bring her up today by myself if that big tank is full of 7.5 gallons of fuel. If she does go over and I am stranded, I could pull the tank off and all the luggage and maybe do it. Not so with the Wee.

My plan when I get too feeble and get the "dropsies" is to switch to a three-wheeler, Spyder-type or such, maybe a trike conversion of something.

Or maybe bolt the Wee to the side of the Connie and call it a sidecar.

View attachment 281381 View attachment 281380

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will add my comments. I am 72. Have both hips replaced and recent stenosis back surgery. Own a 2011 DL650 and DRZ400S. My wife is 63 with a 1995 Honda ACE Shadow. She has 30,000 on the bike but doesn't ride much. I ride a bit with half of it off paved roads on both Suzuki's. I regeared the DL lower and it has knobbies and skid plate, but I am very careful where I go with it. Am a bit more adventurous with the 400 but still I have to exert some control on myself as I am usually alone...yes, I know...a bad idea. I have had to pick up the 400 numerous times and the DL a couple times. I can still do it, but very carefully with the DL.

I toyed with the idea of a sidecar on the DL to enable me to take my dog, but the cost and my discovery that piloting a hack is more strenuous that I knew eliminated that option. The DL is immaculate and selling it when I can still ride it is not being considered. I did lower the rear 3/4" and relocated the foot pegs which helped quite a bit...mostly the pegs. The suspension has been reworked and that made it possible for me to go off pavement. Still, the 500 lbs. is a challenge at times and I find I evaluate where I stop and how I stop on cambered surfaces. I tried trading both Suzuki's off for something in the 400 lb. class, but $$$$ was too much a factor.

The DRZ is easier for me to ride and I find it to be more pleasing due to its weight and my limited riding. A new seat, handlebars and wider footpegs were appreciated improvements...especially the seat. I will be lowering the suspension internally this year 2". I restrict myself to what off road riding I do with this bike too, but do ride roads I would not take the DL on.

Everyone knows the day is coming when It's "over", time to "hang it up", etc. I intend to go as long as I can.

I still have my Yamaha TT 500 framer. Now if they run the Sacramento Mile this May with the Sunday Amateur event........

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm 69, and about an inch shorter than I used to be (now just shy of 5'8"). My '12 Wee is probably the last bike I'll ever own. I lowered it 3/4" about 4 years ago, and it's much more manageable. As far as dropping it - which I haven't in quite a few years - if you have gray hair, just stand there & look helpless & somebody will offer to help. Just don't drop it on a lonely dirt road.

By the way, last week I finally took off my old Happy Trails center stand and replaced it with a TRex adjustable stand. It's a bit low when folded up (I have some tweaking in mind), but the adjustable legs give it perfect height.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm 69, and about an inch shorter than I used to be (now just shy of 5'8"). My '12 Wee is probably the last bike I'll ever own. I lowered it 3/4" about 4 years ago, and it's much more manageable. As far as dropping it - which I haven't in quite a few years - if you have gray hair, just stand there & look helpless & somebody will offer to help. Just don't drop it on a lonely dirt road.

By the way, last week I finally took off my old Happy Trails center stand and replaced it with a TRex adjustable stand. It's a bit low when folded up (I have some tweaking in mind), but the adjustable legs give it perfect height.
I missed on the TRex stand...didn't see that one. I may have one up on you with regards to dropping it on a dirt road as I have the sliders on it that go through the engine mounts and frame from Altrider. It keeps the bike off the ground a bit and the second time I put it on the ground I just left it in gear and "heaveoed" the thing back on the bottom of its tires. Scuffed up the clutch lever and a small spot on the slider plastic but nothing else. I tipped it over at a stop sign. Fortunately only my wife was there to see it. It also helps to have a full face helmet so people cannot see your face.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts