StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 50 when I bought it. I loved it. But the older I got the more I dropped it. 3 years ago I was installing lowering links & it fell off the stand. I had to pay a neighbor's fence builder to help me lift it onto it's wheels. I haven't ridden it since. I did install frame sliders so I can hold onto it while lifting. If I ride it out of town & drop it I'm possibly stranded. So it got replaced in 2019 with a Honda NC700X which feels like a 400 because the weight's down low. And the seat is lower. The Wee has spent 3 years under tarps in the back yard & I took them off & saw rat nests between the cylinders. I'm not going to keep insuring a bike I lost interest in so I have to fix it, replace the starter button that broke off when it fell & get it inspected before my insurance expires Jan 15. Get a new battery & clean the rat turds out of the air box. Had I known how fast I would age I would have bought the SV650 instead but it felt a little cramped to me in 2007. Not today. Has a little over 9,000 miles on it. I've never owned a bike this long & I've never put this few miles on a bike. It is a great bike for a young, strong person with long legs. Had a blast on it the first few years. Spent money on mods & installed most of them. I haven't posted here in a long time, just had to relay my experience for any middle-age riders with legs under 33" looking for a long term bike. This isn't it. I'll put it on local Facebook ads in a few weeks. No room in the garage for it. 2 motorcycles, 2 scooters, 2 bicycles & a ton of my wife's hoarder shit. I know, this post will hit a few nerves, it's the nature of motorcycling to be passionate about our bikes. It's not the bike. It's me. I'm 64 & my inseam is 32" & the Iron Giraffe is no longer a practical choice for me as of about 2015.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I am the same age, with a 29" inseam. I understand your situation well. I love my '14 Vstrom 1000. I have 50000 miles since new, and have been searching for a new motorcycle. Unfortunately, I feel spoiled having experienced the Vstroms. I still want a motorcycle that has at least a 4 gallon tank, upright ergonomics, preferably a 19" front wheel, preferably cruise control, not too tall or top heavy, in the 400+ weight range, reliable, and good dealership support. Good luck finding something!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm 66 and with a 30 inch inseam. I hear your plight. I carry two loops of 1 inch webbing that can be used to help lift the bike when wrapped on the crash bars. I am sort of looking for a smaller displacement bike to take into harder areas after last summer's riding. Not going to get rid of my V Strom, it still is excellent for lots of things. It is in my dirt adventures that I am in trouble sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Love your honesty brother! I'm not sure what happened the past year, but I feel like I've aged a decade. I'm still hopelessly in love with my V and haven't had any issues managing her. But the realist in me knows that it is a matter of time before I start downsizing in order to keep riding.

Assuming the passion to ride is still there, there are loads of bike options today. I would have no issue buying a CRF250 Rally, KTM 390 Adventure, Versys X 300, etc. I'm actually looking forward to it... but not for a few more years :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am 67 with a 30" inseam. So far it's been good with my 14 DL1000. Though last year I installed the Suzuki low seat option. (good deal on ebay) and I bought but not installed yet some lowering links. Will save for future. What makes me cautious is when the bike is fully loaded and 2 up. How does your new Honda NC700 handle 2-up with a load?

·
Administrator
13,907 Posts
There's no right or wrong and everyone is different.

Fwiw I'll be 64 in month. I have a 32" inseam . I have had arthritis since my late 20's. Have a torn meniscus in my left knee and no cartilage on my right. I am overweight.

I got my first V-Strom in July of 2006. I am on my fourth one now (2020 DL1050XA). I have put a total of over 600,000 km / 373,000 miles on my 4 Stroms. If anything I find I ride a bit more each year (except 2020 where I only did 49,000 km vs about 52,000 km in 2019.)

Even though I am on my 4th Strom I'm not really about the bike. I'm more about riding. If the Strom no longer suits my riding there are lots of alternatives.

Main thing is always that you do what is right for you an enjoy doing so!

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,713 Posts
I am the same age, with a 29" inseam. I understand your situation well. I love my '14 Vstrom 1000. I have 50000 miles since new, and have been searching for a new motorcycle. Unfortunately, I feel spoiled having experienced the Vstroms. I still want a motorcycle that has at least a 4 gallon tank, upright ergonomics, preferably a 19" front wheel, preferably cruise control, not too tall or top heavy, in the 400+ weight range, reliable, and good dealership supporters. Good luck finding something!!!
Sounds like the Tracer 900GT clicks most of those boxes.......just sayin. ;)

·
Administrator
17,713 Posts
Love your honesty brother! I'm not sure what happened the past year, but I feel like I've aged a decade. I'm still hopelessly in love with my V and haven't had any issues managing her. But the realist in me knows that it is a matter of time before I start downsizing in order to keep riding.

Assuming the passion to ride is still there, there are loads of bike options today. I would have no issue buying a CRF250 Rally, KTM 390 Adventure, Versys X 300, etc. I'm actually looking forward to it... but not for a few more years :p
But.....none of those are good bikes to ride here to the states for a visit. :)

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I like t
I like the looks of that GT also, and reviews seem pretty good, and the equip is good too. It's a little tall for us old short guys even with the slightly height adjustable seat. I let 3 bikes go and kept my '13 Wee Adventure. Got the itch for something else because it's winter and that's what idle time does to an old guy. Not sure I want to resist, but I keep telling myself that's what I should do. There is a proper good technique to picking up a bike, worth researching, I've only had to use it twice on other much heavier bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I am 67 with a 30" inseam. So far it's been good with my 14 DL1000. Though last year I installed the Suzuki low seat option. (good deal on ebay) and I bought but not installed yet some lowering links. Will save for future. What makes me cautious is when the bike is fully loaded and 2 up. How does your new Honda NC700 handle 2-up with a load?
The low seat was perfect for me on the '18 DL1000. Gave me just that extra bit to be comfortable in all scenarios, AND allowed me to put my Sit n' Fly cover back on. 5'8, 30 inch inseam.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't talk my wife into hopping on back. I talked her into a 5 minute ride around the neighborhood in 2004 & 25 mph scared her so that was her last ride. But I think the Honda would be great 2-up. The engine feels like a tractor. Long stroke, heavy flywheels & a ton of low-end grunt. At 70 mph it's doing 3,500 rpm. Feels very relaxed up to about 85. Starts feeling a little breathless at 90 mph & up but they do around 105-110 I hear. Horsepower is only about 48-50 but it doesn't feel underpowered. Under 6,400 rpm it feels like a larger engine than 670 cc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the input. The Honda seems like a good option to keep riding when bike weight or height becomes a issue. Sacrifices some freeway speed but the bike sounds like it will do everything you need. Post some pics when it's all setup.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I like t

I like the looks of that GT also, and reviews seem pretty good, and the equip is good too. It's a little tall for us old short guys even with the slightly height adjustable seat. I let 3 bikes go and kept my '13 Wee Adventure. Got the itch for something else because it's winter and that's what idle time does to an old guy. Not sure I want to resist, but I keep telling myself that's what I should do. There is a proper good technique to picking up a bike, worth researching, I've only had to use it twice on other much heavier bikes.
Here is info on picking up a bike www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+pick+up+a+motorcycle+you+dropped&form=ANSPH1&refig=afad1bed0ef44f5fb8b725fdc3b9d084&pc=U531&sp=4

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm 60 and can pick up the 650 V-strom if everything is just right. It works better for me facing the bike than back to the bike.
If everything is NOT just right, I carry a scissor jack with a longish handle. I can get that jammed under the bike to a hard point like the crash bars or the luggage bars and get it up the 1st 40%. After that it's a breeze. This guy shows how it's done with a full dress Harley:

And absolutely no hard feelings or judgement for switching to something that works better for you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Love mine, but yes trying to get a leg over isn't always fun especially if on a trip. If a tank bag and a cooler on the back seat are limiting the space it doesn't leave much room when you have to climb it like a horse.

We have picked up a Dyna and 3 Sportsters lately and it really is nice to just be able to get on the bike by swinging your leg over.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I was 50 when I bought it. I loved it. But the older I got the more I dropped it. 3 years ago I was installing lowering links & it fell off the stand. I had to pay a neighbor's fence builder to help me lift it onto it's wheels. I haven't ridden it since. I did install frame sliders so I can hold onto it while lifting. If I ride it out of town & drop it I'm possibly stranded. So it got replaced in 2019 with a Honda NC700X which feels like a 400 because the weight's down low. And the seat is lower. The Wee has spent 3 years under tarps in the back yard & I took them off & saw rat nests between the cylinders. I'm not going to keep insuring a bike I lost interest in so I have to fix it, replace the starter button that broke off when it fell & get it inspected before my insurance expires Jan 15. Get a new battery & clean the rat turds out of the air box. Had I known how fast I would age I would have bought the SV650 instead but it felt a little cramped to me in 2007. Not today. Has a little over 9,000 miles on it. I've never owned a bike this long & I've never put this few miles on a bike. It is a great bike for a young, strong person with long legs. Had a blast on it the first few years. Spent money on mods & installed most of them. I haven't posted here in a long time, just had to relay my experience for any middle-age riders with legs under 33" looking for a long term bike. This isn't it. I'll put it on local Facebook ads in a few weeks. No room in the garage for it. 2 motorcycles, 2 scooters, 2 bicycles & a ton of my wife's hoarder shit. I know, this post will hit a few nerves, it's the nature of motorcycling to be passionate about our bikes. It's not the bike. It's me. I'm 64 & my inseam is 32" & the Iron Giraffe is no longer a practical choice for me as of about 2015.
I was 37 when I bought my current v-strom. I hope to have it when i'm 50! This year I developed some hip issues and sciatica and I can now feel the weight. Before I couldn't tell the difference if the tank was empty or full, it didn't feel top heavy at all (6'3). I am starting to notice it now, although it's still not very bad but it makes me wonder how it will feel when i'm 50! Coming out of my garage the bike really leans over when I get off, just the slope of the driveway. I close the door get back on and then do a bit of a grunt to get it off the side stand, first year i've noticed that haha.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Boy, I'm with ya! I had a stroke a couple of weeks ago, and even though I've had a fairly remarkable recovery, my right leg isn't ready to ride again (they won't even let me drive yet). I don't know if the Strom is in my future any more, but I'm not quite ready to switch to 3 or (shudder) 4 wheels for my fun. A lower, lighter bike would seem to be a good choice. I've loved my DL650, but the weight is so high I'm terrified of dropping it now. I wish you good luck!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts