StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it finally it's!! I received the sidecar from Hannigan the beginning of January. First off.... I can't say enough about Claude! He is AWESOME!! He was patient with all of my questions and put up with my frustrations on delivery beautifully! He helped over the phone with the install. It was pretty easy, I just had a few stumbling blocks. I'm planning a trip to visit him in Pennsylvania soon!

I guess let me start with what I have and what I did before I put on the sidecar. *I will explain what works and what didn't for me.
2002 Vstrom DL1000
I am 200 pounds 5'9"
I sent my rear suspension to Jay at Sasquach suspensions to have him rebuilt and put in a heavier spring. I will find out what spring rate.
I upgraded my front suspension to Racetech 1.1kg springs and Racetech oil that I purchased from Jay.
I switched to a 530 chain and increased the rear sprocket to 45 and reduced the front to 16 tooth.
205/50 R17 rear car tire
Converted as many signals (turn and brake) to led to conserve power. (Vstrom power output sucks!!)*
Givi 55L top case with Admore lighting kit
Signal Dynamics backoff, power meter and headlight flash modules
Hippo hands!! Awesome!
Givi 41L side cases with Admore lighting kits. I currently only use the right bag without lights. I also do not have the rear right blinker on the bike hooked up. Using the left box makes the setup too wide.
I am currently sill using the motorcycle battery. No external car battery yet. Power is good still.
Warm n Safe grip heaters

Hannigan Dual Sport model
Options I ordered:
Sway bar
Carpet
Cigarette lighter adapter
Cup holder
Soft top
Half size windshield
Steering damper
Color match
Electric camber

Claude was kind enough to upgrade the sub frame for me. The sub frame that Hannigan provides with their sidecars seemed to be a lot less than what I would have preferred. Again.... Claude is Amazing!! His sub frame is Incredible!

I will provide more pictures as to the crate and some install pictures later.

Now I want to speak of the options that after 2 months of driving, did and did not work for me. First off, I never needed a steering damper. Hannigan forgot to send it and i am very thankful for that.*
Next, i took off the anti sway bar. It seemed to make my steering a lot more difficult in ordinary driving and made the car even more difficult when just going over speed bumps. I'm happier with it off all of the time. Granted, I do not have any steering modifications whatsoever on my Vstrom. No leading links or Steerite as of yet.*
The other thing that I removed from my Vstrom were the Rox Risers that I had installed before. Having the handlebars attached at two points made the steering feel odd. My steering is a lot more solid now without the Rox risers.*
Steering a Vstrom without a steering modification is doable. It is complicated though with the fact that the hydraulic clutch on the DL1000 is very stiff and is actuated so far from the grip. Cutting down the pin in the handle and shortening the clutch throw activation is a must. *Down shifting a turning a side car outfit is hard when the clutch is activated with your fingers extended. I do recommend this.*
I HIGHLY recommend the shorter windshield. It is great in everyday driving and in high winds. I do like the soft top. When it was cold here is Dallas, ever so briefly, it was nice having a passenger in the sidecar protected from cold, wind and rain.
*I Love the electric camber adjust. I Highly recommend it. I will be getting a different switch for it that will mount on the handlebar soon so it is more accessible. I like that I can adjust the car based on road conditions or even cross winds which helps with the car tracking better. I have the Vstrom leaning out and by adjusting the camber, I can increase this. I originally set the Vstrom straight up and down with the camber at its mid travel and later decided to make the bike be leaning out slightly even and the lowest travel of the camber adjust and increase from there. It is very comfortable for me that way.*
I will be adding a front bumper to the sidecar. It has existing locations for round tubing. I want to add some LED floodlights.

My setup: The toe-in I set it all up to originally is .5". I will be double checking this soon.
My setup tracks straight at speed.
The Vstrom in leaning out from the rig. I don't have a specific amount. I'll get that.*

If anyone is near and would like to meet up and see my setup, let me know. If you have suggestions, I'm all ears! I am still considering a steering modification. The permanent grin on my face due to the sidecar is AWESOME!! I'm not sure I will ever take the sidecar off at this point.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very Very smart :thumbup: - one of the more prettier chairs I've seen!!!!!!!

FS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! I have a permanent grin on my face as I drive down the road! It's a blast to drive!!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
So what kind of money do you have into this project and man hours.
This would be a great setup for hauling extra gear to Alaska:thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
I made a rig out of my 1st beemer with the addition of a Ural sidecar. It was fun and the wife could continue to go camping with me until the other hip failed.
We had many fun trips towing a Kwik Kamp tent trailer...wretched excess in moderation...
I took it to Colorado solo once. It handled well after putting a steering mod from Dauntless motors in Seattle area.
Worst thing was riding friends asking if if I could be their mule while the packed lighter. Fill the sidecar, you know.
Enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't had the "pleasure" of being asked to portage a million things yet! We shall see about that! I plan on taking several trips this year on the rig. The steering is vastly improved just by removing the pieces I stated above. It really isn't too bad to handle at all.

The sidecar cost was around $7000. The rear shock was about $600 i think. Chain and sprockets $220. Front shock parts $200. The mass amounts of other farkles........... too much to list. I originally bought the Vstrom 2.5 yrs ago with 9000 miles on it. It did not have a single addition to it and was immaculate. I now have 44000 miles on it. It is my daily commuter and I ride all year.

I will actually being posting some of the parts that i took off now that I installed the sidecar ( center stand, engine guards..... etc)

The install of the subframe and sidecar took me probably 16 hours total. I am mechanically inclined and do my own maintenance on the bike.
The person I purchased the car from is a Hannigan Dealer in Pennsylvania, C Stanley Motorsports. Great group of people!

·
Registered
174 Posts

The sidecar cost was around $7000. The rear shock was about $600 i think. Chain and sprockets $220. Front shock parts $200. The mass amounts of other farkles........... too much to list........
What was cost of sub-frame or is it included in $7000? Was any cutting or welding required to Vee. Any brakes on car? Congratulations on very nice set-up. I would like to see some time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The subframe was part often $7000. The subframe is REALLY nice. No cutting required. I will probably add a brae that is inline with the motorcycle rear brake soon.
If your local, let me know. I will post my future trips and maybe we can meet up depending.
I will post pictures tonight or tomorrow tat shows more of the car and subframe.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And it is darksided to boot:thumbup:
Had it darksided for several months before I had the sidecar added. I Loved the car tore. I couldn't tell it was a car tire back there. Cornered great! It was just a matter of tire pressure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Outstanding Fotosaccion!
Congratulations on the new rig. I love the Vstrom as a tug. I could not have picked a better rig to attach a car to.
You sir are correct, Claude is an absolute gentleman and his operation has a great reputation.
Are you going to the sidecar national rally in Idaho this summer?
As I type this, my lathe is turning the fork tubes for my leading link. The work is never done...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Damn!

That is sharp as a tack!

I particularly like the framework that connects the car; it's far more "modern" looking than the rigs I've seen before. Usually you see huge, heavy, ugly square tubing and such.

Your setup makes me want a sidehack too!

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
Well, after seeing more pics I must say the mounts are quite nice. I prefer the agrarian look of a Ural but you've got a great rig!
I'd think the Vee makes a more practical candidate for a sidecar than the Wee does. A bit more power is always nice.
When my original 800cc engine got tired om my rig I stuffed a 1000cc engine in and the difference was very nice. Easier to ride!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts