StromTrooper banner

my v - strom Losing power while driving.

10385 30
Hi, everyone.
i have 09 dl 650:)
In the past few months, I come across a phenomenon that I can't fix.
The whole story is like that.
While traveling at an average speed of 70 mph, I feel a loss of power in the throttle and torque of the motorcycle.
This is reflected in the fact that the last third of the throttle does not add power but only noise, but the motorcycle does not add speed.
When I release the gas handle a bit in the half of the throttle, the motorcycle returns to being strong.
I have this phenomenon for several months and after checking with several mechanics there are 2 indications.
What is causing this phenomenon is the change in air / fuel ratio.
What is causing this change is a fuel pump that does not emit enough fuel.
After my mechanic recommended replacing a pump, I bought an excellent Quantum pump, with good recommendations. After assembling the pump inside the pump housing and assembling the fuel tank, the motorcycle feels excellent and strong,
But after a few miles of administrative travel the problem recurs, and again the event becomes weak so that its maximum speed ends at 80 miles per hour.
After disassembly and the pump assembly the fault is resolved, it seems no problem, but again after a few miles there is again power loss.

After replacing lots of lots of money, a new engine imported from the bar, an air box, a fuel pump including a filter, and many other parts (the motorcycle went through a project to come back after a long neglect), I try to figure out what could make this phenomenon go away.
Each time I dismantle the fuel tank and return it, do a fuel quantity check for the pump, get 350 CC, after I return home from 100km ride do the test again and get 280 CC.
Is there a possibility that there is an electronic failure that leads to the pump not working properly after extended work?
What do you think can cause this phenomenon, I would love to hear from your experience, what can be done?

Thank you so much to everyone for every bit of thread that will help me overcome this phenomenon, after doing disassemblies and assemblies and injecting money into vain it is such a frustrating thing to deal with.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
@ Dieseldietz, I suggest that you should start a new thread to ask for advice on how to address the problem on your ride. Your bike should have an acceleration loss unless there is a problem.
FWIW, it sounds like a gas cap venting issue. Any improvement if you ride with the gas cap open? Use the spare key to open the gas cap, so you don't have to turn off the engine. Turning off the bike may reset something in the ECU. For gas cap vent, see Gas Caps: Vented, non-Vented, and how to change the...
You may have a failing fuel pump. Have you done a fuel flow test, Quick fuel pump flow test. ? If the fuel flow test fails, before spending any unnecessary bux, you could try the tip shared in Fuel Pump Fix.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hey everybody just want to let you know if you switch the bike off and restart even when riding some issues will reset like my problem of acceleration loss After ten minutes of riding. unsure why.
Put the bike in dealer mode and look for codes before you turn the ignition off.

You will find the procedure on this site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have exact same problem on the DL1000… here is what I’ve done so far ( to no avail )…whether I’m riding or idleing it the engine will, at random times loose almost all power, AND make a hell of a racket. It’s dangerous on the interstate.

I’ve read I think every suggestion, here is what I’ve done:

Replace fuel pump twice, new filters, completly clean the tank to perfection internally, vent line is clear.

While doing The spark plugs I discovered water down in the plug well. The dealer never cleaned the weep holes that is supposed to keep condensation away…. (this WILL cause spark bleed-off into the rubber plug cover…… anyway, make very sure your weep holes are open, they are very difficult to see..

That being said, i replaced the plug wires along with the integrated spark coil for both cylinders.

still no luck…. it still has an intermittent bogging down of the engine, whether in idle or at speed…. I can’t get past the feeling that the machine is only running on one cylinder when this happens…

any more ideas? TNX!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was having kind of the same problem with my 05 650. Wouldn't rev, running on one cylinder, but idle just great. I replaced the fuel filter, but the filter wasn't that bad. Replaced the plugs. I made a little tool to clean the fuel injectors, but I couldn't tell if they were dirty or not. Anyway, put it all back together and it's fixed. I've put over 300 miles on it with no problems at all. I think cleaning the fuel injectors did the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmm, if the clutch was slipping i could see that creating issues but this is like it hits a rev limiter at said rpm. It makes power fine up to this point, but then it just doesnt and wont rev either. Bike still does it in neutral as well, so i dont think it would be clutch related with my bike but i will still look at it just in case. Nothing else ive done so far has fixed it, and im running out of ideas.
my 03 is having the same problem. just bought a new fuel pump and new pressure regulator. what happend to yours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you open op the throttle, do the REVs increase? You can see this easily from the dial on the dash. If so, you will need to adjust (loosen) your clutch cable. And if this has been going on for a while, you may be suffering from burned clutch plates, who will then need to be replaced. A fuelling problem would not just increase the noise, but also lead to stumbling/hesitation where the speed actually backs off. You may want to try the external fuel filter mod. External Fuel Filter modification The cause of this could be rust in the tank that keeps clogging up the filters. See this as well: Sputtering and bogging down with attempt of full throttle issues!
I'm having the very same issue. My 2009 VStrom is in the shop now to have rust in the tank removed with acid, the tank will be resealed and a new OEM Fuel pump replacement by Miller Cycle Shop, Inman Kansas. When it's finished, I'll provide an update.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm having the very same issue. My 2009 VStrom is in the shop now to have rust in the tank removed with acid, the tank will be resealed and a new OEM Fuel pump replacement by Miller Cycle Shop, Inman Kansas. When it's finished, I'll provide an update.
Was a pressure & FLOW/VOLUME test done on your '09?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts