StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody...this is my first post as a brand new member of the forum! I'm not an avid motorcyclist...in fact I haven't ridden since I was just out of college almost 10 years ago. I've been eyeballing V-Stroms for the last five years or so, and I feel like I'm finally ready to make a purchase (being newly divorced and all!).

Here are my questions:

1. I'm 6'2" and about 230 pounds...do I need to worry about getting a 1000, or will the 650 work for me?

2. Considering the above question, what if I want to ride two up? One of my primary objectives is to do a good amount of touring. My girlfriend weighs about 120 pounds. Also, I'm currently living in Alaska...you can imagine some of the mountain roads I'll be tackling!

3. If I decide to go with the 650, how much should I be worried about getting the ABS?

4. There's currently a 2007 DL650 (no ABS) for sale in my town. It has 4200 miles and I know it was well maintained. Is $4700 a good price for that bike?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the 650 would be a good bike for your size, two up touring maybe not. The 650 you are looking at seems like a good price with great mileage. If I could have got an '11 without ABS I would have but they are not available without it now.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
650 two up AND loaded is no problem.

ABS is well worth having [if you don't like ABS on dirt there is a switch modification available after market].

My BMW R1150GS had ABS and so does my Wee, would not have a bike without it these days [the Wee is bike #14 or #15, memory fades :headbang: ].

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Plus on the above

If you imagine lots of dirt roads then
the less weight
lower smooth power
ABS very good if your not expert

On any not pavement the 650 has plenty of power

though my tweeked 1000 is giving some power wheelies :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
1000 seems too big for me

I have a 2002 DL1000 that I bought last summer. My wife likes to ride with me occasionally, so I thought I needed the 1000. But really, most of my riding is here around town by myself, and I feel like the 1000 is overkill for me. From what I've read about the 650, I'm sure it would have enough power 2 up and touring as well. Also, I've heard it runs a bit smoother.

And, for me, I'm disappointed with the DL1000 gas mileage. Now, a lot of my riding is short trips (less than 5 miles at a time to work) and I know that has an impact, but I'm averaging about 34 mpg, upper 30s when I do longer trips. Now, since I adjusted the valves (most were tight) and fixed the clutch chudder this winter so I could shift at a lower RPM without chudder, the mpg has gotten better, but I'm pretty sure the 650 would get 5 or 10 mpg better. If that's an important factor for you, strongly consider the 650.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
350 Posts
The 650 has more power than you NEED. It's also easier to ride which might be an advantage for someone who hasn't ridden for a while. Some guys like to have the extra power of the 1000 and that's fine. I personally think the 650 is about right. I had a faster bike before my wee and I almost never felt like I was using the bike like it was meant to be used. The times I did use it "correctly" I was risking my life and license.

If you don't need the power, the 650 is better in most other respects. (Handling, cost, smoothness, insurance, weight, fuel economy, etc.)

The good news is that both are great bikes. There is no wrong answer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ride a DL650. I am 5'10", probably about 250 lbs with gear, and have never found a need for more power (but that's just me). I was on the Central Ontario Spring V ride last weekend and I checked my fuel slip for a fillup on the way home. For 412 km of moderately spirited riding, mostly rural, some twisties, some gravel, some super highway, I used 18.102 litres of fuel, which by my calculation means I got just over 64 mpg(Imperial) or 53 mpg(US). Needless to say, I am quite happy with the fuel mileage. In looking around the forum, I'm sure you will find things you wish to do with the bike to optimize it for your exact mix of riding, but overall, its a great platform to work with.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have a 2007 V-Strom 650cc. I weigh 250 pounds. The bike pulls just fine with me and my riding gear (Givi E-41's and a Top Case). Two up is just fine as well although I do have to downshift sometimes when passing uphill. Unless you are a really spirited rider you should be happy with the 650 IMHO. Besides, remember the old saying "It is a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." :thumbup:

·
Administrator
14,224 Posts
I'm 6'2" (in the morning) and was around 250 lbs for much of my Strom riding. (I'm down to 220 area now.) I always thought the bike handled me jsut fine, whether just me, loaded down with a ton of stuff, or even when I gave someone (who weighed well over 200) a 500 mile ride home after he crashed his bike in Ohio.

Given a chocie I would take ABS, but it wouldn't stop me from buying one if I couldn't have one with ABS.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
A 650 is fine for two up travel [and it's a fuel sipper]. When two up [I'm 200lb/125lb wife], if I really have to gunn'it to pass on a two lane road, I'll downshift twice and blast away - simple - the Wee is more than fast enuff if you use the gearbox. It has 6 speeds for a reason.

It's a super fun motor to use, and I really enjoy how the motor feels when you run it thru the gears. I've ridden much faster bikes, and I always maintain that a bike with less HP is more FUN to ride at sane speeds, than a bike with 'extra' HP. Outright blazing 1000cc speed [the Strom 1000 is a "slow" 1000cc bike]........? No, of course not, but flat out acceleration ain't everything.

But, remember - the Wee and the Vee are the same size, with minor variations in seat height, weight, etc...blah blah. Both bikes feel very similar when sitting on them. Either one is a good pick! Any Strom is better than no Strom!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The thing I like about larger displacement bikes is the mid-range torque - it satisfies (me) in a way that smaller displacement bikes just can't. The DL1000 has about 50% more of it than the DL650, and is comparable or stronger in that range to any other liter bike. What it lacks is the top-end HP that you'd get on a more sporting liter bike (or even a supersport 600). But, of course, there's a price to be paid for that extra torque, in weight, fuel consumption, and by all accounts the DL1000 is not as refined in its running as the DL650.

I have no actual experience with DL650 myself, but by all accounts it has more than adequate power for any sort of "normal" street use. I might even like it better, although the torque that comes with added displacement is addictive.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Some guys love the feeling of having more power than you need. A now-deceased motobuddy of mine would always buy bikes that he called "torque monsters" but 99 percent of the time we would ride at exactly the same speed.

Regarding riding two-up, I ride more conservatively with someone on the back, so extra power is of no use to me in that situation. Your style may vary.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
831 Posts
Small engines work harder, regardless of how refined and smooth they may be

I'm 6'2" and about 230 pounds. What if I want to ride two up? One of my primary objectives is to do a good amount of touring. My girlfriend weighs about 120 pounds. Also, I'm currently living in Alaska...you can imagine some of the mountain roads I'll be tackling!
In this scenario, the motor will be asked to carry 350 lbs. up and down [presumably steep] mountain roads, before the first ounce of luggage is mounted on the bike. You'll be rowing the 650's gearbox quite a bit; less so on the 1000.

My suggestion is to let horsepower do the work, instead of your left foot.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure.
Not at all. Compare the LS650 Suzuki S40 starter-cruiser, SV650 sport bike, and DL650 V-Strom. Very different.

Duke, the 650 V-Strom would be a good choice for you. For your wet paved roads, ABS is very wise. For loose gravel roads or mud, you don't want it.

Buy that bike. All prices are local, and Sitka's kinda way out there. Try it. Maybe switch down to a 14 tooth front sprocket if you need a bit more grunt--you won't be doing any high speed super slab riding where you're at. Get knobby tires if you need more grip on unpaved roads...Metzeler Kartoo, or Continental TKC60, or cheap but fast wearing Kenda Big Block, or Heidenau K60 to be less aggressive, or cheap but good and even less aggressive Shinko 705.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Well, it appears we Vee addicts are in the minority. I have a 07-Vee. Have ridden the Wee after my Vee, which likely spoiled my unbiased opinion.

I am 6-2, 235, and a few months shy of 50. I am more into the scenery now than getting tickets. It seems easy to me, more horsepower and torque with only 30 ish more pounds of weight. I fully understand the love wee owners have for their bikes. As I understand it the FI in the Wee is perfect and the one I rode was spot on. My Vee required some tuning work and emisions control modifications to run like a wee does out of the box. But now that I have it sorted out, it runs great.

yeah, you can downshift for that get out of somebodies way maneuver on a wee but while you doing the downshifting I am just whacking the throttle.

For the life of me, I have never owned anything that I wished had less horsepower. Less weight....yep, I like that. If I was concerned with hurting myself, I would buy a Vee and put a throttle stop on it.

The wee outsells the vee by like 5 to 1 Im told. But so does the F150 over the F250 powerstroke....so Im not sure how valid that arguement is.

·
Registered
392 Posts
strom

I bought a Wee coming from a much bigger bike, 50ish gas mileage now days makes alot of sense and I suspect it'll get alot worse before it gets better, if it gets better.

I bought one with ABS because of increasing age and realizing that things won't stay as they once were, reaction time gets longer, eyes get weaker, attention span gets smaller etc., ABS give me an edge that I didn't need 20 years ago.

Do you need it, no, is it nice, yes.

Bill H.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bottom line, Try it get the Wee that is in your backyard do some research and try some different teeth and tires to get you to what YOU want. If you think it needs more power after all that, then you can trade up. I own a Vee and and went from a slow 1100cc cruiser to the Vee, and if I hadn't had the years experience and training classes I would have killed my self on it the first week.:green_lol: They are both fast and can get you from A to B, they both can also get you into a lot of trouble if your new so start with the 650 and go from there.

So Good Luck, and isn't Sitka forest locked or are there roads out to the rest of AK/Canada. The only reason I ask is because the bike in your town just became a better deal if you have to add ferry costs to it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I'm 6'4, 230 lbs -> If I have feel roomy, so should you.
There's plenty of power until 6000 RPM and I haven't finished break in yet..6000-10000 RPM is just going to be much more power than I really needed.

As for 2-UP, visiting Thailand a few times I fondly remember 4 and 5 UP on a scooter, for example:

I'm pretty sure your girlfriend will have plenty of space on a Wee...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts