StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got an 06 Wee-Strom. I've had it a week today. I've been riding with no problems. This morning it's dead. I turn the key to "on", there's no sounds, guages don't spin up, no lights. I thought I must have drained the battery somehow and tried to jump it. Nothing. I checked the fuses - the 10, 15, 30 amp fuses under the seat. They look ok. Any thoughts?

This is my first post. So I apologize if someone has already addressed this.

update: It's not the kill switch. The battery cables aren't loose. I did initially try to start it with the kickstand down; I've since tried it in the up position. Nothing. I tried to jump it again later (this time making sure it's in neutral). The guages cycled once, the clock went to 1:00, the aftermarket gear indicator briefly read "6" (even though it was definitely in neutral), then the lights just kind of faded, starter button did nothing. this is with a good car batter connected.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check to see if the kill switch near the right hand grip is on (pushed away from rider) or if the bike is in gear with the side stand down before going any further.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Did you electrically test the 30A fuse or just look at it. A fuse can fail by cracking and not look burnt. Try replacing it with the spare on the other side of the box. Tighten the cable connections. One time mine looked fine and even felt fine when trying to wiggle them but actually tightening them brought the bike back to life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a multimeter. The battery was down to 5.5v. But I don't understand why it wasn't doing much when I hooked up my (12.9v) car battery to it. Or why it drained to begin with.

I'm suspicious of the ignition switch.

:headbang:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The battery could have a shorted cell that would drain the jump energy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I might have done that. I put a battery tender on it all last night, and it's still only 5.25v. That was in the bike. I took the battery out and put the tender back on to see what it does today. What does the park position do? Besides kill batteries.

·
Registered
331 Posts
"What does the park position do? Besides kill batteries."

Lights the tail lights, presumably for emergency situations.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My bet is a crook battery, it is probably the original one in the bike from new.

Time for a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The battery could have a shorted cell that would drain the jump energy.
This seems to be it. I was jumping it across the battery terminals and it must have been shorting through the battery. I hooked up my car battery to it again (with the bike battery completely removed) and the cluster came right to life, and it started right up. The bike battery won't charge to more than 6.2v. I think it's toast. Ordering another one I guess.

Thanks to all for your input. I was pretty discouraged with this since I just got the thing.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Yours is an '06 and probably still on the original battery, pretty good I'd say.

Bought my '09 brand new, now with over 60,000km on the clock it is still on the original battery and has not given problems yet.

You will love the Wee-Strom, very reliable bikes and great fun.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
This seems to be it. I was jumping it across the battery terminals and it must have been shorting through the battery. I hooked up my car battery to it again (with the bike battery completely removed) and the cluster came right to life, and it started right up. The bike battery won't charge to more than 6.2v. I think it's toast. Ordering another one I guess.

Thanks to all for your input. I was pretty discouraged with this since I just got the thing.
discouraged...why....Go right out and pat her on the but for she crapped out at home like mine did. Not at work, not on a trip, not in the rain, not at a Rosy O'Donnel convention......but at home. She just needed a hug thats all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
got a new 09 too

You are making me feel bad Mr Ock I got my 09-baby brand new but I just reach the 20K mark.

My battery is still strong (was checked last service)

I have done the parking lights once too. I guess you live you learn. :green_lol:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yeah, I might have done that. I put a battery tender on it all last night, and it's still only 5.25v. That was in the bike. I took the battery out and put the tender back on to see what it does today. What does the park position do? Besides kill batteries.
Battery tender may not bring the battery back. It probably needs to be charged at more like 3 to 4 amps if it is seriously depleted.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If that battery is that far gone, it ain't gonna charge up no matter how many amps you put to it. Likely there's damage to the internal plates that causes things to short out inside the battery. Consider it dead and just replace it. Besides, the average battery life rarely exceeds 5 years anyway.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You can goright to Wal mart for the replacement battery. You dont have to order one. Right on the shelf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts