StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of course this would happen the day after I post up on Facebook what a great bike its been over the last 73000 miles....

I was riding in to work this morning on my 2012 650 when the bike died leaving me stranded on the 405 for 3 hours wile I waited for a tow truck. My ABS has been playing up in the rain (see other threads) but it's never died on me. This mornings failure was catastrophic. I can get the dash to light up by wiggling the connector on the ABS unit behind the shock but I have a "check something" code up on the dash and it won't start. I'll nip out and take some pics to add in moment but I wondered if anyone knows where I should start with this?

I'm assuming the check - something is an error code I'll have to pull by putting it in dealer mode, no? I can't get my fat mitt in to actually pull the ABS plug so it will have to wait til I get it home later tonight before I can pull the battery tray to access it.

Can anyone confirm that the bike wont run if the ABS plug is disconnected?

Thanks

RESOLVED: JUMP TO POST #15 TO SEE THE ISSUE

·
Registered
82 Posts
My rear ABS sensor recently got severed because I didn’t “slot” the brake assembly into the frame and it rotated the right side to the point of tearing it off.
I was able to ride all the way home with a disabled unit.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Marcoma, many times if there is a charging system failure low voltage will cause an error code in other systems such as ABS. Retrieve the code before assuming it's an ABS issue.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd start by measurring the voltage at the battery. If the battery is discharged, charge it and see if the bike starts. If it does, do the charging system tests.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So to expand - I turn on the ignition and the neutral light comes on but nothing on the dash. Push the harness next to the ABS unit where it plugs in and the dash lights up, the pump primes but the red light is on and it wont turn over. Dash says "Check". If I bridge the diagnostic plug to get the code it shows C41.

I'm looking up that code now....

OK so C41 is a fuel pump error code. I'd say thats a by-product of the wiring issue as the dash doesn't light up unless I meddle with the ABS plug.

I've tried resetting the ECU - same

Battery is good and fully charged and was charging fine before the bike cut out today(checked last week).

·
Registered
45 Posts
UK Storms have been known to have wiring loom issues. My first one (c41) was traced to the connectors above the radiator which had corroded. These were cleaned and filled with grease/wrapped in bicycle inner tube. The connectors there also affect the dash.
The second one I had was within the wiring loom where it crosses the frame, clutch side, near the coolant bottle. This one was a factory fitted crimp burried within the loom that had failed.
When you replace your loom it is definitely worth adding some waterproofing to the connectors above the radiator.
Good luck

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked that plug - it looks fine. I did clean and dielectric grease all the plugs on the bike. The bike electrics play up in wet weather and I power washed it last weekend which I think caused the issue.
As its the abs sensor that usually errors in the wet (the one time you actually want abs!) I'm hoping its not the abs pump - those things are stupid expensive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Waiting for the new harness to arrive.

At least I got to change the plugs, clean the filter and wipe it all down under the covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The second one I had was within the wiring loom where it crosses the frame, clutch side, near the coolant bottle. This one was a factory fitted crimp burried within the loom that had failed.
This is the area my loom is sensitive to movement - wiggle it and the dash flashes on and off.

Hmmmm I sense an autopsy on the horizon....

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's exactly what mine did:

https://youtu.be/iTGhvFzDdlI

I foolishly took mine to a dealers they said £100 to fix & Suzuki may pay for it even though it was out of warranty... when I collected it they wanted £350 & Suzuki weren't interested. I should've bought a second hand loom for £80, or just cut the bl00dy thing open and had a look.

This is a photo the dealer sent me:

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup - thats pretty much exactly what mine does....

the loom arrived today so I'll get cracking and update here when I'm done

·
Registered
686 Posts
I power washed it last weekend which I think caused the issue.
Ding Ding ding! We have a winner! To most people's surprise, most connectors and switches on motorcycles are not waterproof. (is bmw an exception?)

Is there somewhere you can let things dry out? There are a few connectors above the rad that are difficult to get to.

Water and pressure will make pre existing problems worst.

Wiring faults can take a while to track down. A test light sometimes helps.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ding Ding ding! We have a winner! To most people's surprise, most connectors and switches on motorcycles are not waterproof. (is bmw an exception?)

Is there somewhere you can let things dry out? There are a few connectors above the rad that are difficult to get to.

Water and pressure will make pre existing problems worst.

Wiring faults can take a while to track down. A test light sometimes helps.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
See post above - the power washer didn't do that.....

Surprisingly (or not as we live in an area where it seldom rains) all my connectors were in pretty good shape.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE CHECKS THEIR HARNESS UNDER THE RADIATOR EXPANSION CHAMBER AT THE REAR OF THE TANK. Seems this is not an isolated issue....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad you're all sorted. There's definitely an issue with the wiring in that area. I've read reports on the UK V Strom website that indicated the loom rubs against the frame in that area, although I'm not convinced it isn't just poor wiring there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Glad to hear you figured it out and thanks for posting the fix. It will help someone out at some point.

... seriously though ... pressure washers shouldn't go near motorcycles. You see pit mechanics used them after motocross races but they also rebuild the bikes every 2 weeks!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Nice find! And thanks for sharing! I have mine apart and I will check this area out today. I like root cause analysis.

F'n cold here so no riding for a while. :frown2:

My Jeep just left me stranded last week. Had to get a tow. They found the starter was bad. $159 to install and $120 for the starter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts