StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals. I know this subject has been discussed to death, so I will throw my questions right away:

- First: how much current would be safe for the stock switch? (OEM lights draw 9 amps). ?

- I already ordered a new switch. If I don't want to add a relay, could I just snip of the headlight wires and splice/solder them together, to keep mu stock halogen bulbs? I tried using leds but the white light is not comfortable to my eyes.

- Is there any aftermarket led system that emits warm light?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I also don't like the white light so I'm about to try some 4300k LED's in my car to see if that overcomes the white light problem.

I have concerns that lowering the power load will shorten the life of the stator without a regulator upgrade from shunt to series.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can skip the relay if you switch to led lights. I like my Beamtechs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Your sensitivity to the white light is interesting. When H4 bulbs first came out decades ago i swapped them to my Jeep CJ6. I got a lot of flashings from oncoming traffic, I guess because they were brighter and whiter than the old sealed beams. Although I will admit the LED's really light up the road and make highway signs really reflect with a vengeance.
Now LED's re normal production lighting due to the improved visibility and power consumption savings they provide.
Now H4's seem to be inferior to the LED's
Get the Easter Beaver relay kit and you can get a cut off switch too that will remove one light for further energy reduction.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like LED's are half the price of going to Eastern Beaver...then replace shunt regulator with a series type and your covered...unless I'm missing something..

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,186 Posts
The Eastern Beaver relay kit all but eliminates the chance of the starter switch failure. LED's will lower the chance, but not eliminate it as there is still a good bit of current going through the starter switch contacts.

There are differences in LED lighting. I suppose that some of the higher Kelvin rated LED's would be irritating. Once you get into the blue light I don't care for them either. 4300-6000 K work pretty good. Again, even those can be bad if th bulb causes too much pattern scatter. Ride one time at night in the rain....and you will want to keep LED's.

·
Super Moderator
16,239 Posts
Looks like LED's are half the price of going to Eastern Beaver...then replace shunt regulator with a series type and your covered...unless I'm missing something..
Yup you are missing that it's simply easier to install an EB relay kit over anything else.......no more worries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts